Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 ford f1 radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikline127, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mikline127

mikline127

hey guys. new to the whole forum thing and also to hot rodding. got a 49 ford f1 awhile back and havent really done anything with it. right now i am on deployment and looking to be home soon. looking to start my rebuild. have everything just about figured out on how i am going to do things except the radiator??? been looking at new ones and not really liking the prices. if i had the stock one i would run it but i dont think it will handle the the v-8 im putting in it?? any help would be great guys on what else i could do . oh one last thing need a core support to?? thanks.

Attached Files:

2. George/Maine

George/Maine

The 52 i have looks like a 80s Ford Ltd radaitor,for a chevy engine maybe a Camaro 1967 68 rad.

[​IMG]

3. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

Summitt has several "universal" radiators in the $200 range. Also, you might check into an S10 radiator. I know lots of guys running small blocks in their S10's with the factory radiatio with no problems.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

There's a good ammount of room in there, pretty much anything that will fit that has the hoses in the right location can be adapted.

5. mikline127

mikline127

awsome thanks guys! what about a core support?

6. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

On the ford truck enthusiasts forum, I learned that a mid seventies dodge v8 pickup has a radiator that is a bolt in. Picked one up a checkers, drilled a couple of holes, done.

7. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

using a stock one in the wife's truck w/ a sbc....

8. mikline127

mikline127

awsome!! man you guys are a big help!

9. CSeals

CSeals

I am pretty sure you just saved me around $200!!!!!!! That is why this place is awesome!!

10. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

Either of you get a part number? We're lookin at the SBC in a 51 F1, and that soundl like a better deal than the S10 radiator idea I had!

11. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

12. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

I understood it that he doesn't have a good one to use in the first place, but if he does, you are spot on! My brother has a moderately hot 350 in his 49 and is running a stock radiator, no problems yet, but it's just had a shakedown run and that's it.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen a few of them with Dodge pickup radiators in them. It used to be a popular radiator swap.

A Stock flathead radiator in good shape will handle a small block anything pretty well though.

14. mikline127

mikline127

lots of good info ..... thanks guys now all i have to do is get home and make a choice haha

15. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

8,000 miles and no problems yet,,,,

16. waldo39

waldo39
    from Illinois

Running a stock rad. with a 289. Runs cool even in a parade. Just be sure to have a fan shroud. Solves many overheating problems.

17. Bringing this to the top.
    Im wondering if anyone used the dodge rad from advanced auto,
    Im thinking of buying one but Im not sure that it will cool an sbc with a 700r.
    I like that it has a tranny cooler and its black.
    Anyone?

Attached Files: