Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Turn signals - when?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Mar 14, 2011.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was another thread on here about what equipment is required on old cars. It specifically mentioned turn signals, and this got me thinking about something I've always wondered about. I have a bone stock '51 Ford club coupe. When I bought it over 25 years ago, it came with all of the original paperwork, including a copy of the original hand-written invoice from Helgeson-Lageson Ford in Hutchinson (I think) Minnesota. On the invoice was a line for $17.50 for turn signals. Any of you that have ever owned a '51 Ford know that the turn signals were well integrated into the car; the mechanism was enclosed under the steering wheel, and the indicators were built into the gauge cluster, so I would have thought they were standard equipment. My question is : Has anyone ever owned or seen an '51 Ford WITHOUT factory turn signals?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy still had them listed as an option on 1955 "cheap" cars. They were optional on trucks into the very early 60s. (RPO 336)

3. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thats odd..my 53 210 has them and they are factory..guess they must have ordered them on mine?

5. I don't recall one without turn signals but I do know they were optional. I think that some options were already there when the car came to the dealer and the buyer just had to pay for them jus like it is now if you buy one off the showroom floor.

Not all optional turn signals were dealer options.

6. The first application of a flashing electric turn signal was used on the 1938 Buick as a new safety feature. It was advertised by Buick as the “Flash-Way Directional Signal”. By 1940, Buick added the self-canceling mechanism attached to the steering column. This complex and sensitive mechanical method of springs, cams, sliders and lobes with fixed shut-off points is still used worldwide in virtually all vehicles. This was indeed an ingenious solution in 1940 and has worked well enough to get by for many years.

7. lawman

lawman

Does anyone know when they first came out as an option or first in use
    and on what cars or trucks?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of those "optional" equipment in those days was standard but listed as optional to show a lower base price.

Some like the one Refried Confusion works on probably went though as stripper models with no options on them for one reason or another though. Either special ordered or ordered by the dealer as a cost leader for their adds. Yuppers, we have the one in the add over there but look at this one with the two tone paint, white walls, turn signals and a heater and radio.
    You don't seem to see many now but a lot of cars were shipped pretty bare in the 50's and then the dealer added on the options at the time of the sale.

The thing I can't figure out now is why a guy would want to consider building a car or truck, rod or custom without turn signals no matter if it didn't come originally. We live in an era where half the people following or meeting you on the road have no concept of what a hand signal is and are damned well not looking for one.

9. cederholm

cederholm

Strange - my '53 two ten has stock one and stock indicators in the gauge cluster.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy sold turn signals as an over-the-counter accessories all thru the 50s....for cars and trucks in the early 50s, and for trucks in the later 50s. The 53 car turn signal switch assembly is pretty easy to install, and was used on 53-54 cars, 53 (54?)-59 trucks, and 63-62 vettes. When they didn't have turn signals, they had a "dummy" bell screwed to the back of the steering wheel. i have a few of these that I've taken off of trucks.

11. here ya go,,, HRP

12. lawman

lawman

Sorry Guys , I was typing my question when the above was being posted.

13. squirrel

squirrel

gotta work on your mindreading skills....

14. terryble

terryble
    from canada

My 51 Ford Tudor Deluxe did not have factory turn signals. The gren lens holes are in the speedo unit but no bulbs or wiring and no handle on the column.

15. lawman

lawman

HaHa, At 67 I don't much mind left !!!!!

16. turn signals on 51 ford were optional, i believe

17. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Back in the mid-'50's, my Dad had a '49 or '50
    Standard Vanguard that had 'semaphore-type'
    turn signals - with a lighted movable plastic arm
    that would pivot out of the roof side pillar behind
    the drivers door, to signal your turn.:eek::eek::eek:

Mart3406
    ----------------
    P.S. I've also seen similar 'semaphore' turn
    signals on early '50's VW's and other 50's-era
    European cars.
    =======================

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  18. bcr466

bcr466

The 39 Buick I had was equipped with them. The shift lever had another small lever on it that controlled the signals. This car also had the radio antenna on the bottom of the right running board out of sight. Always liked the 39 which is the reason I like the Buick Blackhawk so well.

19. two488

two488

Turn signals were still optional on the 1952 Ford. The lenses & chrome trim on the front end of mine were there for decoration, but there was no wiring or turn signal lever on the steering column inside. The previous owner of my '52 just installed one of the aftermarket signal levers & wired it up about 6 years ago.

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

My friend's 51 Ford Custom has an add-on signal kit and no provision inside the column for installation of the switch mechanism.

I have a couple of NOS Signal-Stat kits from the 50's for generic truck installations. The kits come with the column switch, wiring, and four fender mount light fixtures.