Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Ford Start Button for 12v - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ruttencutter, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ruttencutter

ruttencutter

I'm looking to replace the start button for my shoebox with something that is a momentary switch vs the ground to body style that was on there.

Anybody know of any good domed chrome momentary switches stocked anywhere that are about that size?

2. Hit up a heavy truck dealership...many use chrome momentary push buttons for starting...

3. Lucky444

Lucky444

Some Marine/Boating switches might work for you too. Usually better quality stuff than you get at automotive stores.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

52-55 Ford truck is two wire.

Rich

5. SlamIam

SlamIam

I assume you want that kind of switch since it can be wired to supply 12v to the starter solenoid and not just ground the connection like the original switch does.

Another way to do it - I kept the original switch and used it to activate a common 12v "cube" accessory relay, the contacts of which supply 12v to the starter solenoid. This works, keeps the original grounding switch, and makes the switch last forever since it now only has to handle the small relay current.

6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

NAPA has a cool, chrome, two pole, push button switch that looks like the
    Ford switch. I have the part number at my shop. I can post later.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did ya see the recent thread where a member made a starter-switch out of a choke mechanism? Thread name was somethin' like "Hidden In Plain Sight".