Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info Needed: Cadillac Reverse Flow Mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hester, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hester

Hester

I've heard mention of these on the HAMB and have read about them in hot rod magazines from the 60's, but I can't find any good info under "cadillac reverse flow"

I assume these were the standard cadillac mufflers from the early 60's ? Does anyone know while make/models they were on, and would anyone have any images of them?

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

OK, so now we know what they are. But whats the point of a "reverse flow" muffler? Back pressure?

4. Good exhaust design will change direction a couple of time. when the exhaust leaves the engine it has sound waves, same as we hear. If you do not change direction the sound wave will be transmitted to your ear. Change the direction of the exhaust (sound wave) some will be destorted or muffled in the change of direction. change direction more than once, more of that exhaust (sound wave) will be absorbed, destroyed, or muffled. Every time the sound wave is bounced off an object it will loose energy, the more bounces the more lost energy. And for a sound wave, the more it is bounced the quieter the sound will be.

Can you hear your wife yelling at you around the corner? Yeah you will hear her a little. When she is in another room, do you hear her now? Her voice, no matter how hard she tries will not carry around multiple corners, as well. Now you have an excuse for not doing something she asked!

Its just the physics of sound wave theory.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Can you hear your wife yelling at you around the corner? Yeah you will hear her a little. When she is in another room, do you hear her now? Her voice, no matter how hard she tries will not carry around multiple corners, as well. Now you have an excuse for not doing something she asked!

Its just the physics of sound wave theory.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i keep telling her..Jeeze:D

whaaat?

6. Hester

Hester

The Cadillac ones specifically were popular in the 60's, guys would run 4 of them.... according to old hot rod mags anyways

images or preferred years... anyone?

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The "reverse flow" mufflers in the link says that they are "turbo mufflers"

Maybe I slept through that part of the sixties (I didn't drink or do drugs) I've never heard of reverse flow Cadillac mufflers before this post.

I installed an ass load of turbo mufflers. The original turbo muffler came on the Corvair turbo charged flat six. It had a 2.5" inlet and outlet. Somebody put a pair on a V8 and a new phenomenon happened. They were the hot lick for several years starting in the 70s. I started my muffler shop in the late 70s when aftermarket turbo clones were king.

I'd sure like to see a scan of that article about using "reverse flow Cadillac" mufflers. They were not a popular option in my part of the world.

I'm never too old to learn. Anybody know the magazine name and month?

8. Hester

Hester