Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar / Ford driveshaft to differential question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldodge, Oct 2, 2010.

1. oldodge

oldodge

I have installed a Ford 8.8 rear differential in my '41 Dodge D-19 buisness cpe. The 8.8 has a flat flange on the pinion and my Dodge drive-shaft has ball and trunnion u-joints. What I am looking for is a way to adapt the flange on the pinion to the flange on my u-joint. I know I can have a drive-shaft made with cross type u-joints and buy the adapters to mount it, but, my u-joints are both as good as new and I don't want to spend the cash for a new drive-shaft and adapters, plus I think the old ball and trunnions are cool. I need to make my adapter 1-1/2 inches long to get my u-joint in its original location. I am thinking maybe two flanges with a piece of 2" pipe welded between them. 2" because that is the clearance I need for the 8.8 flange bolt and centering ring. Anyone know of a ready made adapter? Or maybe a better / different idea? By the way the rest of the drivetrain will remain flat six with fluid drive so i don't need some race or ultra heavy-duty setup. Thanks, Tim

Attached Files:

2. rustychrome

rustychrome

Hey oldodge - Im messing with the Trunnion joints myself and your post came up in a search. I was wondering what you have done to here to solve your dillema? I run the flat 6 in my 48 plym coup....

3. rustychrome

rustychrome

And - how do i replace the dust boot cover on them joints?

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

To replace with a one piece boot you have to press out the cross pin and take everything apart. Years ago you could get a split boot for that style joint. A adapter/spacer ,just a bit of lathe and mill work.

5. I have the answer for all except the needed front flange yoke. It'll take a minute while I boot up the catalog site.
    Basically you will need to have a shaft built and balance with a 1310 front u-joint and a 1330 rear u-joint on 2 1/2" x.083 or 3" x .083 tubing depending on length to make all easy. It will look like a 4WD driveshaft with a female slip yoke and male stub shaft.
    Easy deal, don't sweat. I only need one part number for rest of the story.

6. That quick.
    Need to find a new flange yoke to replace the Detroit ball and socket joint. This part receives a standard u-joint. PART NUMBER 2-2-349. That takes care of the front of the shaft.
    The rear of the shaft will need another flange yoke, old number 2-2-1369. Will be found on a driveshaft of ALL F150 Ford trucks in the mid '90s and many Rangers and Exploders with the 4.0 engine, and some Mustangs. Key measurement? Needs to measure just close to 4" outside of of yoke ears with 1 1/16" u-joint bearing diameter.
    Need a good driveshaft built with parts found?