Register now to get rid of these ads!

summit racing paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shaun harrington, Mar 9, 2011.

1. shaun harrington

shaun harrington

hi folks , has anyone used the paint from summit racing? especially their black cherry? this is the color i plan on painting my 34 3 window. any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks shaun harrington.

2. I don't want to be a smart ass but my suggestion would be spend a little more money and buy a good name brand paint. I've been doing paint since 1974 and trust me, you'll generally have less trouble and a better job going with a good name brand paint. I once worked with a man who would be painting a car which the customer was paying $10,000.00 to paint and this jerk would put $60.00 a kit clear over good Diamont base. I told him if he didn't want to spend the extra couple hundred bucks, at least offer the customer the choice buy seeing if he would like to spend $200.00 more. I bet the customer would have paid every time if they had known what was going on their car. If you're at the paint stage, you've already got too much time and money invested to short change it now. Summit paint is what I would do if I were building a cheap r*t r*d. Then it would be just fine. As Forrest said, "thats all I got to say about that".

3. old city

old city

They used that crap on a 69 mustang on muscle car tv show . A pro painter spayed the car even on tv you could see how bad it looked. A nice car with a cheap bad paint job. SAVE SOME MONEY AND BUY SOME GOOD PAINT.You will be glad you did.

4. shaun harrington

shaun harrington

thanks all for the input, the only reason i looked at that paint is because i really want black cherry, i looked into house of colors and was told i would spend somewhere in the area of $4000 on materials alone. sounded a little steep to me! who else makes a good black cherry? thank you again shaun.

5. Do any of you guys even go back in the archives and read these topics when they come up?!?!?!

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Good name brand isn't that much more than the cheap crap they sell . They use that paint on many race cars , dirt track cars and ones of that nature BUT NOT on a 34 ! That is just plain wrong ! I would go for a good color from HOC or similar quality .
    Just my .02 !

Retro Jim

7. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I used it on mine worked great! but just remember if you order more from them that shit ain't gonna match!

8. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I don't know about Summit's paint, but I have used Eastwood's single stage urethane on two vehicles, a 31' coupe and my 32' roadster. It is priced about the same as Summit's and both paint jobs turned out great. I flamed the roadster with the same paint and then used their European urethane clear on top. I haven't had any problems with the paint and it was very easy to apply. I had a budget to work under so I couldn't see paying an arm and a leg for a name unless money is no object.

9. Racing Paint?
    Ya got 2 B kidding me !!!!!!

10. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

I think its used on dirt track cars, and other race cars cause its cheap and it doesn't have to be perfect. Why spend a grand or more on something thats gonna get scratched up.

11. coophead

coophead
    from Howell

I have painted cars sence 1976 and when summit came out with there paint I tried it. and I like it and my customers do to. keep an open mind and don't get stuck on one brand of paint. it all depends on your environment,room temp,air pressure,and experience with mixing. I think it sprays like the old ditsler or emeron paints.I have sprayed numerus show winning cars with the paint.my addvice to you is to buy a small quantity and paint a junk fender or panel see what you think. the pic here is one of the cars I painted with summit.and are you building a riddler award winner or just a very nice driver. you decide. good luck

Attached Files:

12. TMAN... Hall Monitor for the archives and search function. You still have your plastic pocket protector from high school:rolleyes:?

13. I was thinking about using Summit "racing paint" on my car

But then I saw that "Summit Racing" is the name of the company that sells it...

And then I felt like an idiot.

14. Black cherry looks like MUD most of the time

15. 73super

73super

Yeah, I remember that episode.. you're right.. that paint did look horrible. Pretty bad when even a "pro" can't get a decent paint job out of it. Really surprised they promoted it.

16. That's is how, he got 23,257 Posts. Nothing better to do, then to nit pick. More then likely the office squealer!
    A new search will not give current knowledge, either good or bad !

17. The paint job on the muscle car tv mustang (the dark blue one) was done with the Dupli-Color system and it was heinous. I couldn't believe they even had the nuts to show the final result on national television. On a "Trucks" episode Kevin Tetz (spelling?) used the summit stuff for the blue & silver dually. I ain't sayin' i'd run out today and buy it, but the paint looked good enough for anything I'll ever own. Longevity? That's another question.

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

toyota has a great one, started in about 2007. bc/cc from any dupont paint dealer. look at scion/camrys. its real purdy in the light.

19. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I have been doing a good amount of research for paint myself, especially with HOK. I estimate that it will cost me about $1000 for materials if I use their candy and flake etc. I'm not sure why it would cost $4000? Of course the $1000 doesn't include sand paper and prep materials and such, but I can't see where that stuff would cost $3000

20. Ah, now I remember! That was the Mustang that looked like a rattle can job. Almost semi gloss. Not a good look.

21. chevy3755

chevy3755

i have used their primer and liked it.......just my 2 cents

22. Keep telling yourselves that. Meanwhile other folks are reading, learning, experimenting and commenting on these products:rolleyes:

23. lesabre59

lesabre59

I just shot my '49 chevy truck last weekend with Duponts Hot Hues, I found the paint code for Harley Davidsons Black Cherry Pearl an had them mix it in Hot Hues brand. Runs about $400 a gallon for the color (thats 2 sprayable gallons). Ive also shot cheaper paint but they tend to be less opaque, and end up shooting twice as much, plus they didnt seem to be as forgiving as the name brand stuff. Ive shot other black cherrys but like the metallic and pearl in this brand. TRUST ME...go with Dupont, PPG, you wont be disappointed. I added gold pearl to the PAINT COLOR and shot the ghost flames, i find it hides the flames better yet produces a bright appearance in the sunlight. just my opinion.

Attached Files:

24. lesabre59

lesabre59

of course i still have to color sand and buff but this gives you the idea of the flowout straight out of the gun. This was also shot in my home garage in 30 mph cross winds hahahah

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I used Duplicolor in a rush to paint a fiberglass tonneau cover for my DD pickup truck. The paint covered and sprayed ok, but it laid down really bad when it dried. A single stage urethane would have given me a lot more buildup to color sand and buff. Now I have to scuff again so I can paint with the product I should have used in the first place.:(

26. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

You explained the differences in budget paints vs quality better than most. Good post...

27. a good painter can spray Sears weatherbeater and have it come out good. the better quality paints are easier to get better finishes. good results can be achieved with the lesser quality paints but may require extra sanding, longer flash/dry times, additional coats etc...

28. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I actually must say I HATE,HATE,HATE the Dupont hot hues line the coverage sucks and I had to shoot quite a few coats over gm frost white to get the paint to look consistent color wise, other guys i know love the stuff but I've done two jobs with it and didn't like it! However PPG or Standox get my thumbs up!and you are correct the expensive stuff does flowout a lil nicer but personally couldn't beat the summit deal!! P.S that black cherry looks AMAZING!!!

29. lesabre59

lesabre59

P.S that black cherry looks AMAZING!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliment. I shot this color over a "buff" (yellowish) colored primer and I did the entire truck (inside the bed and dash aslo)with 1 1/2 gallons of color (3 sprayable gallons) so it averaged about the same as other trucks ive shot with Chromabase and PPG. Ive also shot NASON Color and that stuff is like shooting koolaid its so thin. Ive also noticed that i shot more material when i use my high-dollar SATA 3000 gun, but the trade out is the SATA shoots great Clearcoats, hardly any orange peel so less colorsanding, and im all for LESS SANDING! hahaha