Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you do for air conditioning?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hartmen, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Stay home, the A/C works great there.

2. banginona40

banginona40

I have a Hot Rod Air in my '40 and a unit I bought 20 years ago from Southern Rods in my Coupe. Both work good.

Worth the effort.

3. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I have several AC units for cars. In my wagon, I am going to run a bus rear AC unit, mounted to the roll cage, hidden under the headliner, and then several under-dash units. I use a Hot Rod Air system in my GS, but they went out of business.

4. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

Put windows down, open cowl vent, swing windshield open

5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Similar to Deuce Roadster I have Vintage Air in my 32 sedan but I don't think my 54 will have it, However thats subject to change the closer I get to that point.

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Roll down the windows, push/pull the vents out ALL the way, then drive very, very FAST. If that don't work your not driving FAST enough!

7. theres always this route
    [​IMG]

8. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

vintage air is the only one to use.

if you are creative you can hide most of it.

my A pickup the high pressure line runs in the frame rail, reciver dryer inside on firewall, lines come in the bottom of fire wall.

Attached Files:

9. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Vintage Air does make a couple of "trunk mount" a/c kits. But you can get their Gen II Mini under almost any dash. The best in the business!

(I am affiliated with VA, but I'm still right!) Call John Moreno

10. Orn

Orn

Cold enough to freeze the balls off ;)

[​IMG]

11. petebert

petebert

I hang my arm out the window at the proper angle for the air to go up my sleeve.

12. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

4 windows open two wings and two floor vents at 70. oh and a pair of shorts for the wind to blow right up at the boys:)

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

none of my cars have A/C..there are about 2, maybe 3 months up here where it would really be nice.
    I have been able to get away with air flow to keep it liveable, it just really sucks when your sitting still for long periods of time.

Now that i think about it I never had AC in anything i drove , even my daily drivers up until the last 12 to 15 years

14. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

well i don,t need one i,m living in holland haha

15. silversink

silversink

I second that one

16. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

Vintage air is your way to go if your looking for true a/c but if not 4/60 works great too!

17. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

awsome!!!! I have all that stuff right out in the shed! i'm doin it!!!!!

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with Vintage air --the gen 2 mini works great-have installed them in 8 40 Fords with very positive results and mostly all hidden as well

19. famdoc3

famdoc3

I used the unit from the Dodge Omni in my model A coupe under a custom dash made from a chopped and modified 56 plymouth worked pretty well. MIKE

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Back in the day, the AC system was the first thing we'd rip out of our cars to make em go faster. I'll be damned if any of my rods have AC. 2 open windows and some speed, and it's alllllll coooooool. :)

21. I have 4-70 air conditioning... works great except for in town.

22. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

Funny and true.......... The only time my windows and rag top are up is when it's raining...............:D

23. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

http://www.kooleraire.com/

I made a ghetto version of a kooleraire out of an old thermo metal cooler,12 volt turbo fan and some pvc. just cut holes right in the lid and silcone them into place. Keeps the kids kool in the back seat and a nice relief @ Bonneville

24. Deuces

Deuces

Put the top down... ;):D

25. I don't even have A/C on my newer cars, just open the windows, open the vents, and drive.

26. Deuces

Deuces

I call'em "big Jim" and the twins... :):D

27. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I was beginning to think I was the only guy with Hot Rod air thanks, Bangin'

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  28. outlaw256

outlaw256

after this past summer all my old cars are getting ac.i almost passed out this summer because it was so hot at a red lite.that wouldnt have been good.i got 5 runnin oldies that are getting air, so im gonna be broke for awhile!

29. fibertech

fibertech
    BANNED

I put a Vintage Air unit that was "made to fit" in my 67 Nova. After I beat the he!! out of the inner bulkhead above the right kick panel to make room for the blower, I still had to cut the the air box right next to the sticker that said "if you modify this unit in any way you void the warranty" so I could slide the blower deeper into the air box, it fit.

What a pain in the ars. Overall the quality of the unit is good, but because of my experience I would never buy another Vintage Air unit just on the principal of the thing.

30. The absolute first thing I would do is kiss as many asses as I had to; so as not be BANNED anymore. That should cool things a little for you. :rolleyes:

I don't know what you are trying to air condition, like as has been said opening the window helps, or maybe opening the cowl vent. If your car has a trunk you can put the evap coile in the trunk and pipe the A/C in behind the seats.