Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overheard at the Hamburg, PA Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot 'n Kustom, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

This gave me a chuckle.

Puzzled 10 year old to his Dad:
    "Whaddya mean 1977 isn't old?"

Time flies!

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

Everything certainly is relative, isn't it. I remember when I owned a '57 Chevy in '63, I thought of it as an "old" car. There seemed like a big difference in body styling. Yet, it was only six years old! Now, when I compare a 2006 Toyota to a 2011 for example, there doesn't seem to be that much of a gap. Maybe it was because the body styles aren't changing as much from year to year? Maybe we've hit the aerodynamic ceiling?

3. sledish

sledish

The other day my 10 year old asked me what year I was born, I told her 1967, she said "Wow that was a long time ago". I'm thinking to myself, No it wasn't !!! To her it was.!

4. Rich1028

Rich1028

In 1995 I went to the auto parts store to get a Q-jet rebuild kit for my 1977 caprice,and the guy behind the counter said that it was an old car....to me my '64 chevy trck was an old vehicle

5. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I remember when a car wasn't old unless it had a brass radiator.

6. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I graduated in 77......

7. A sign of the times...

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

My minimum qualifier for "old" is it has to have round headlights :rolleyes:

9. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Around 1983, I brought my 1958 Chevy Belair (already wearing Antique plates) to my car club for the first time.

The old guys with Model Ts and As snickered,
    "That's not an antique. That's just a used car!"

10. silversink

silversink

I was talking to my grandson the other day and told him the hot rod would be his some day and he looked at me with a serious look and said, I don't want it.
    I asked him why and he said by the time you give me the car there won't be any gas to make it run,we will all be driving electric cars. :eek::eek::eek:

11. oldolds

oldolds

OT. Was there anything at Hamburg Swap meet today?

12. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kind of reminds me of my experience at Pate a few years back. I was looking over a table with a bunch of nice looking Ford parts for anything that might fit my '41 Ford Tonner and the guy came up and asked what I was looking for. When I told him he looked at me and replied, "We only have parts for As and Ts, we do not deal with late model stuff."

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Sorta like telling the next door neighbor's kid that when I was his age, you picked up the telephone and a lady said "number please"!

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The girl at the grocery store told me her parents had left their wedding in an "Old 63 Pontiac". I bought a new '63 Pontiac in '63. What does that make me?

15. Gator

Gator

Ha ha - I'd expect that from a 10 year old, but there was a thread here the other day about using a cool OLD car as a daily driver and someone posted all about their '80 Cutlass. :rolleyes:

A while back I had both a Model A and a '53 F100 pickup, the wife once asked "which truck are we going in?" then give me a puzzled look when I replied "the old one" ha ha.

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

I got there at 9:30am. Only three vendors outside in the rain. And some were already packing up inside!

I didn't buy anything and didn't see anything especially unusual, except a huge winged Willy Knight radiator cap, missing its figurine. Pretty neat, though.

I spent some time talking to Dan Reed, an automotive artist from Hamburg.
    Really nice work on exhibit.