Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some Hep! What year is this Axle from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricola, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

We finally found an axle locally today. I don't know what year this is from. I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer. It is a wide 5 bolt pattern with a wish bone front with mechanical brakes.

Anyone have a link to convert this to Juice brakes? Don't really want discs. Want to stay traditional.

Attached Files:

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

36, 37, or 38. A pic will help narrow it down.

3. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

Sorry, I forgot the attachment and was editing when you posted.

Any info on making it juice brakes?

4. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

It appears you have '36 wide 5 brake drums on that front end. I think the axle is the same 32-36 front axle. Unfortunately, the drums are not compatable to hydraulic. you would need new hubs/drums as well as backing plates etc.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I agree. If it is a '36, you'll need new spindles too, they're the oddball year and the spacing is different from earlier and later hubs/spindles.

6. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

Thanks, Is the axle usable or should I keep looking?

7. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Definately useable to someone. Depends upoon your needs and goals, whether it is useable to you

8. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

Pretty sure it is 1936 based on the shape of the spring mounting arms on the front end of the wishbone.

9. barry wny

barry wny

Cable brakes '37&8

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

On second look, I think Barrywny is right, it's hard to tell, but looks like roundback spindles there.

Definitely useable, for an early fenderless hot rod, the 36 axle itself is more desireable than the 37 up but not a must. Lots of great cars have been built with later axles. The 37-38 spindles and hubs/drums are the same/interchangeable as the ones used on 39 Fords with hydraulic brakes. You'd just need hydraulic backing plates to make the swap. A pic of the spindle back would answer that.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

A little easier to look at right side up.

There are plenty of charts that give the measurements and other info on Ford axles.

Borrowed from one page

[SIZE=+2]Early Ford Beam Axle Dimensions
    [/SIZE]<hr noshade="noshade" size="3"> Early Ford Beam Axle Dimensions<center>
    Representative for comparison purposes only
    <table border="2" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr><td>Years</td><td>Kingpin
    Width
    </td><td>Perch
    Width
    </td><td>Perch
    Height
    </td><td>Desc</td></tr> <tr><td>1928-31</td><td>51 7/8</td><td>36 1/4</td><td>2 1/4</td><td>continuous curve across</td></tr> <tr><td>1932-36</td><td>51 3/4</td><td>36 3/8</td><td>2</td><td>ends curve more</td></tr> <tr><td>1937-41</td><td>50 7/8</td><td>38 1/2</td><td>2 1/4</td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>1942-48</td><td>52</td><td>40 5/8</td><td>2 1/4</td><td>1948 has holes for tube shocks</td></tr> </tbody></table>

</center>

Right now I would be in hog heaven if I had found that axle. About all you can use on the 29 is the axle and wishbones but that is a good start right there. The rest of it may be good swap meet stuff if it is in good condition as there is always someone hunting for a part that someone else can't use.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  12. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

Great info and thanks from a newb for the chart.

Based on the chart I would say it's a 37-41. As best as I could measure by myself I was getting under 51" center to center on the king pins.

So am I to understand I can use the spindles?

Anything else?

What about the drums?

What year backing plates do I need to find?

Are they available new?

Sorry for the newb questions but I have been away from building rods for 25 years.

Here are a couple more photos. I flipped the axle over and took better photos of the backing plates and axle.

Attached Files:

13. Carter

Carter

Definitely 36 stuff

14. Carter

Carter

You would need 39-41 or 42-48 backing plates, 37-41 or 42-8 spindles and 37-9 drums for wide 5 or 40-48 drums for 5 on 5 1/2"

15. F&J

F&J

Trust what they said about the year of the actual beam. It is definately a 33-36 style I beam. Once you get to see a few different year I-beams up close, you can spot one in a small pic real easy...never needing to measure.

16. barry wny

barry wny

Actually the hydraulic brakes are put on model A & other earlier front ends by slotting the back plate holes, & sleeves can be made to make wheel bearings work with later hubs. Look's mickeymouse IMO they look like they actually belong especially on round back spindles. The wide 5 drums aren't reproduced yet so if they are less than +.060 over 12" someone with a stock'36 would want them. If you are going to do "traditional" steering you can get aftermarket spindles & hoop for that axle. I prefer stock '37-48 cross steering, then you need to find stock spindles with second tie rod hole on right side.
    The first picture shows the shock mount, I vetoed the tube shock idea as the original lever shock was easier & looks better. The steering hoop will interfere with either shock setup, sold it & rebuilt my original 37box, handles like a dream.

$40 for '37 kingpin set. You can get all the brake stuff from NAPA. if you want to piece together a front end, I have front Brake back plates to get you started

Attached Files:

17. Axle itself is a keeper. 33-36 axle is what you have there, 100-150 for a core axle, 250-300 if dropped. The spindles are not worth much, as mentioned they are a one year oddball. Look for any spindles 37-48 car, 37-41 are roundback, 42-48 are square back, aftermarket are available also. Any hydraulic backing plates (39-48) will work with the mentioned spindles as well as hub and drums.