Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford C4 vs AOD, imput?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Nov 4, 2010.

1. SixtyFord

SixtyFord

I have a 351/AOD/3.37 and get 12mpg highway maybe its the heavy truck its in?
    and No a AOD will not bolt up to a 351M
    I'm glad i went with the AOD over the c6. I found mine in a 92 crown vic rebuilt it myself and have 3800 mi on it with out a problem.
    just make sure you get the TV cable adjusted correctly and test the line pressures.

2. I would go for the AOD, we got a F150 4x4 5.0 with AOD. Like the Trans a lot, did a complete rebuilt of the Trans some years ago. Got a lot of tip from http://www.clickclickracing.com/ .
    The tricky thing was the lip seas, had to buy a kit with plastic mounting rings. I bought al parts from www.transmissionpartsusa.com with out no problems. Now I’m rebuilding an AOD for our 65 Mustang who has a c4, I think this Trans is what you should go for if you want more mileage for money.

Lars

3. tjm73

tjm73

The AOD is actually a great transmission....if you know how to set it up and what to modify. Setup is key with the AOD.

4. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

There are 2 options for overdrives for 351/400M engines. A E4OD & a 4R70W. Both were available behind 460's. You just have to get the crank snout made smaller. Been there

5. 29AV8

29AV8

if the kickdown isnt hooked up or working correctly. it will burn up in short order......

6. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

there is nothing wrong with aod's, i have a beefed up one in my street, strip car with quite a few miles on it. the tv is not hard to adjust, the "proper" way they say to adjust them is unnecessary. it is sort of how you adjust your shift points to an extent. and you can trick shift it and hold second with out valve body modification. start in 1 then hit d and when it hits 2nd pull it back to 1st until you want to shift again. takes a little to master. it is tricky when you want to run a non lock up converter but the options are endless givin the money. the hard parts are pretty stout, its the servos and bands and clutches that dont hold up to well if stock under hard use. you can even buy bell housings to bolt them to any engine, ford, gm or chrysler if you have the money. the factory bell housing has to be cut.

7. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

`92 Crown Vic has a 4.6 which has a different bolt pattern for the bellhousing,how`d u get it to fit your 351??

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Fair enough... but the C4 is great right out of the box and has no setup. JMO having dealt with both.

9. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

......and so is an AOD.......

10. glad you brought this up,Im doing the same thing in my O/T 68 montego,I just pulled out the motor/trans and will start figuring it put as far as cross members etc.

11. fairlane_1958

fairlane_1958
    from Oregon

I've got a 302 with an aod 3:70 rear end gears in my 1958 fairlane runs 1800 rpms
    @75 mph on the freeway. Phoenix transmission has adapters for most after-market
    carb. set-ups to get the proper tension on the cable

12. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Everyone above (including yourself) just mentioned how they are great as long as you set them up properly. Granted the TV cable isn't rocket science, but its still more involved on an install than a C4, no? The other supporters also mentioned that they are great when built properly wth the aftermarket support that they have now. I had 50K miles on my 289/C4 before I sold it and got 15+ MPG and the C4 never had a wrench laid on it nor any aftermarket items.

Not trying to start an arguement here. He asked for opinions and I voiced mine.

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I have two cars that had C4s and now have AODs. I don't want to go back. The shorter rear gear to go with the overdrive is like getting free horsepower around town; both cars roll well down the highway, despite having pretty racy rear gears.

15. I didn’t say the c4 is a bad transmission, had a lot of miles in our Mustang. But in those days (perhaps specially in Sweden) when gas prices goes sky high the AOD is the right way to go if you drive a lot.

16. 302/AOD in my '59 Edsel. Works great. Everybody talks about the TV cable. It's easy to setup. If I can do it, anybody can.

17. rockher_man

rockher_man

Sweet collection!!!

About YOUR setup..."302 tripower / AOD /3.56 Rear"....close to what we are building...

I'm planning a SBF stroker for a '56 Effie build with a 9" swap running a
    3.89 gear & TracLoc and am wondering about YOUR tri power setup...

I have aquired a '63-64 original Buddy Barr/Holley SBF tri power setup with
    correct carbs & linkage and I am curious as to HOW I would be able to
    make this AOD linkage work????

How difficult was it for YOU to make the same setup work???

THANKS in advance!!!! I do NOT mean to hijack...this is JUST the thread I've been looking for....everyone I've asked about this scenario to looked
    at me like I was nutz....

I've got a pile of parts in the basement ready to go..complete '70-ish 9" rear, 3.89 ring & pinion, Trac Loc, Dutchman 28's, aftermarket 4-wheel disc's, ...

We drove the truck home with a C4...I do NOt have a problem with the C4
    as I know what it will handle...but...IF I'm gonna throw some cash at a transmission anyway...what the heck...

-

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  18. Merlin Hudson

Merlin Hudson
    from California

I'll chime in on this. I put a 5.0 engine in my Galaxie country squire with a 93 aod behind it. I read a lot of scary stuff about these transmissions going out because the plastic link on the throttle broke and dropped all the pressure to the O.D. bands. So I consulted a Ford transmission guy and here's what he told me to do: There is a port on the side of the trans that I ran a line from to an oil gauge I put under the dash. I set the trottle rod so that at about 1000 rpm the pressure would come up to AT LEAST 30 lbs. As long as that gauge reads pressure while you're driving you are O.K. If the pressure should drop, STOP the car at once. I've been driving this setup over a couple of years and it works great. Another tip: you need at least a 3:80 to 4:11 rear end. Take your time and it will be worth it.

19. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

the first year 4.6 mod engine had a 302 bell housing patern. then they changed to its own. ive got a 302/aod in my 55 fairlane. love it with 3.73 ranger rear. gets about 20 mpg. the first years of the aod didnt have a hardend input shaft and it wouldnt hold up. but most trany shops know to replace it with a hardend shaft if they come across one still in a core unit. ive got another 302/aod for another project waiting to be installed. but ive also got a 302/c4 combo for my other project. if i dont find an aod for it. to many projects.

20. I am putting a 302 with AOD in my 37 Ford sedan. Any info on trans mounts would be appreciated. Only one I have found is Morfab. Anybody else make one?
    Thanks

21. FWIW, you can swap the 4R70W internals into an AOD case and get the wider ratio gears too.
    I have a T5 in my OT Mustang, but the wife wants to drive it and hates sitting on I-275 parking lot with the clutch... so I'm gonna do the swap this summer. Mines a carbed 302, I'll be going with the Lokar cable.

JK

22. olpaul

olpaul

I vote AOD. I rebuilt the AODE in my wife's 94 Mustang and it was easier than I though it would be.