Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I'm saying this as a matter of fact. I'm not trying to be mean.

I don't think this is the board for you.

2. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Actually I had the two coolest cars in school. Certainly not the newest or most expensive. My main ride in High School was a 48 ford convertible dark blue metallic with white pinstripe some of you older folks will remember we put cute names on our cars mine had Little Boy Blue painted nicely on both rear fenders. Just to finish it off it had dual Smittys sounded way cool. My first car bought when I was 14 wasn't ready for prime time until into my senior year. It was a 53 Merc. hardtop with a Tbird Y block installed as you will remember Mercs in those days had a very cool rolled interior so even though it was mostly a stock interior it was very cool it started life Lincoln Mercury Bittersweet with an Off white top My girlfriend now wife bought me a gallon of paint for Christmas my senior year that was same code but for some reason it came out a lot more orange when on car but it was eye scorching and top was now same color. It was finished off with 4 blade Lancers two very cool cars for my little school!

3. We had two in '72, neither were mine. One was a lime green 61 Vette that the guy cut class and in the rain totaled it around a tree. The other had a dad who owned a body shop and he was given a red 57 T-Bird.

4. 1960. I was a tenth grader. One of the seniors had a black 1958 Impalla with the 315 HP 348. I still think about that beauty every day as I drive past his old house.

5. JJAGS3

JJAGS3

In the 11th grade, working at the local A&P, I saved enough to buy a 51 Merc coupe. Kept it for a few years, then sold it when I went into the USAF. That was in 1958. I now have another 51 Merc, a lot of years in between, both us and the car. Here's a couple of pics. The B&W is the first car I owned in the 50s and the yellow car is the one I have now. I don't know what I was thinking in '58 with that '55 Ford grill.

Attached Files:

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

A little ass skinny punk name Randy had a brand new '68 Road Runner, just because his Dad had the only "service" gas station (gas @ .225 a gal.) in our little farm town. The little jerk went out one night got real stupid and total it!
    Well guess what happen next - nope Dad did NOT buy him a "Beater" he got him a brand new '68 GTX!! Man I just don't know!!

7. BIG TOP

BIG TOP

8. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

My mom had a '65 Malibu 4door. It was green, jacked up in the rear, CB and a 8 track. Made all the boys cry.

9. 68 C10

68 C10
    from Athens, GA

I drove my '68 Chevy pickup through high school, I always thought it was the coolest, even got voted "most stylish" (I guess that means coolest) senior year. When I was a freshman and my sister was a senior she knew a guy who had a '71 Cutlass and a '71 Chevelle, not really sure what either one of those was running but he seemed to have something potent under the hood of that Cutlass. I finished high school not that long ago though so anyone rolling in anything vintage was pretty unique.

10. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I drove a 55 Bel Air, 235,3 spd. During my Jr. and Sr. years and actually stored it for the winter in the High School auto shop while we rebuilt the engine as a class project.

11. 38zephyr

38zephyr

North Hollywood High school class of 1987 , I went from a $1200 74 Z-28 , to a ($900) Bmw 320I with a bad transmission I got from the Basketball coach in 12th grade . Fixed the trans , painted and lowered it , more than quadrupled my money on it . Bought a really nice 64 1/2 Mustang conv. with the money , girls loved that car , sold it for good money (should have kept it) and bought a cherry 72 911 Porsche ($5000) . I got hated on BAD for that car ! Even the teachers kind of gave me a hard time and called me "Richie Rich" for that one , I earned EVERY stinkin' dollar for it and they were just mad cause they all had K cars and stuff like that . My friend had a black 70 Cuda 440 4 speed that I thought was the baddest car in school . This one tiny little girl Kari had a 59 Sedan de ville , which was really cool seeing roll up with like 6 "Madonna Wanna's" (chicks that dressed and had hair like Madonna) hanging out of it . No other old cars at all . All the "cool" guys wanted Supras and had mullets and jean jackets !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  12. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

1976 Z-28..................yea it was the 80's........Crager S/S's

13. KGB911

KGB911

Grew up in San Fernando Valley and graduated from Monroe High School in Feb of 70. Voted Class Hot Rodder as I started High School with a brite yellow 28 RPU with a Winfield Red Head that would pull the front wheels off the ground but ran just high 19's at San Fernando. I finished high school with a Candy Apple Red L88 Big Block Vette that ran a best of 10.32 - 133 at Lions in 69. I never lost a Street race and paid for most of my gas "25 cents per gallon" with winnings from my Friday night cruises of Bobs Big Boy on Van Nuys.Needed some coin to continue my stock car racing at Saugus Speedway in 74 and consigned the car to a used car lot. Never saw it again! anyone no where it is??? Still remember the Licence number, California 672 CBR
    Danny Ruth

Attached Files:

14. DREW148BHP

DREW148BHP

I had an 82 Datsun pickup, not the coolest but atleast it was dropped 4" and I put a cam in it and a hi performance aftermarket header with straight exhaust. I also jetted the carb and put a high flowing intake. It really was a fast little pickup for a Datsun and cool as it had 8 sparkplugs on a four cylinder.

15. carbking

carbking

Some of you young pups may have difficulty with this concept, but for those of us who went to school in the late 1950's and early 1960's JUST HAVING ANY CAR WAS COOL!

Jon.

16. The Coroner 318

The Coroner 318

This day and age it was pritty cool considering all the kids i went to school with (class of 09) thought hondas and toyotas were cool. It was a 65 Dodge Coronet 4 door, Poly318, carter 2 barrel carb, 3 on the tree, bench seats. I bought it the summer before my seinor year. I was home on the computer looking at an 86 Chevy MonteCarlo and i got a phonecall from a close friend. He said "dude you have to come down here, i found an awsome car for you" and i said reluctantly "what is it?"...His reply sold me. He said " It's a 60's mopar man, you have to come down here now!". Needless to say i bought the car...for $400!!!(in 2008!), got it towed to my house, put gas in it and 4 tires on it and drove it to school in september. It was pritty quick for what it was, Burned a whole lot of rubber, Beat a few mustangs. It currently resides in my driveway, in need of a resto, which will be done by yours truely.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  17. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

I had a 1971 Olds 98 LS sedan. It was black with black vinyl top and chocolate brown interior.:confused: It was a 455 Olds engine and all the power accessories inside, but only an AM radio. Fender skirts, too.

It wasn't much off the line, but I had the needle on the speedo pegged several times.

It had been Dad's good car, but I got it when he upgraded to a '75 model and Mom didn't like it because it was so big. So she drove the '73 Grand Prix LJ with a 400/400 TH, 4bbl carb, dual exhaust set up.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Moose Jaw Saskatchewan, son of a bakery owner got a 67 Camaro Z-28 with the 302 and cross ram. John Van Strien I believe if I remember the name right.

The racing was on an abandoned airstrip outside of Moose Jaw, we jug out all the grass and dirt from the cracks and ran with a flagman between cars :)

The Camaro was nice, but a guy with a plain white 70 Dart, (brand new and stock) 340 bench seat and 4 speed with dog dish hubcaps and the black swinger stripe was my favorite.

He regularly beat the Camaro, and that is one of my favorite memories of the year I was 16.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  19. S.F.

S.F.

I had a 57 chevy my senior year when everyone else had honda's with wings.

20. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

This was "it" at Lewis&Clark HS, Spokane in 1961. The car was built by John Fleckenstein then 17 (forground). John passed away 3 years ago. [​IMG]

21. S.F.

S.F.

^^^^RAD!!!! makes me think of the song "bucket T" by Ronnie and the Daytona's

22. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

[​IMG]

I was the fat kid with the combover in high school but having a drop stop Mustang GT def helped the social life .... lol It's a O/T car but I graduated in 98' . And was obsessed with mustangs.... Thank God my parents got me some help. lol Now I like ford hot rods with chevy motors!

23. atomickustom

atomickustom

Ah, my northeast Ohio high school was crawling with hot cars in the early 1980s!
    There were the burnout dudes with their late-1970s Trans Ams with cragar wheels and loud stereos, the poor burnout dueds with their early 1970s Monte Carlos, the spoiled kids with late-model Camaros, one douchebag with a used Porshe 914, one guy with a '37 Chevy coupe, and a lot of gearheads with 1965-1970 muscle cars.
    One kid had a gorgeous candy maroon show-quality 1968 Chevelle SS.
    My first driver was a '68 Lemans convertible, and then I got a mint original 1954 Pontiac Chieftan that we put an Olds 350 V-8 into when the original flathead straight 8 gave up. It was the only '50s car that year, but there had been '55-57 Chevies in the years before that. The '54 was mint green and guys didn't pay much attention but the girls absolutely loved it. They all wanted to go for a ride.

Pontiacs were big in my town. I don't know why. There were two kids with 1970 Grand Prix in the same year, my first three cars were Pontiacs, and there were always more Firebirds than Camaros (and very few Mustangs) running around.

24. I had a 74 Stingray my Senior year. It had a nice L-82 350 a friend of my dad's rebuilt and hotted up, 4 speed, and 3.73 rear. Silver paint, black gut, t-tops. Had headers, full exhaust, tuned quadrajet (thanks to my old man, he could work those q-jets), FE7 suspension, and a bad attitude behind the wheel. :D It would run a 13.30 (I used to keep razor blades in the car to scrape the numbers off the glass before coming home on a Friday night) on the BFG radials and me behind the wheel, and I had it up to 140mph out on the Rt. 1 concrete. I learned to drive in this car and have regretted selling it every day since, but after throwing a rod right before graduation, then sitting for a couple years outside, it was in pretty rough shape. I had moved on to a 87 Camaro by then. As far as 74 'vettes go, it was fairly rare with the L-82 and FE7 suspension.
    A couple of the rich kids had newer 5.0 Mustangs, and there were a couple 3rd-Gen Camaros and Firebirds, but my 'vette would knock their dicks in the dirt. The only other car that came close was a guy who had an older brother with a 70 or 71 Chevelle convertible, black with white stripes, black top and interior, but the 'vette was still faster and sounded meaner. There was a math teacher who told me "Park it outside my classroom, and I'll keep an eye on it for you." Well that didn't work, some piece of garbage stole my rally caps and rings one day. The shop teacher had a cherry 67 Camaro and I would challenge him almost every day, but he'd never agree to run me. He must have hated my guts for calling him out in front of the class all the time.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  25. j-dogg

j-dogg

The year was 1990. Slammed VW bugs and mini trucks ruled the school. Slammed Celicas were the new fad.

I pull up to school the last week of my sophomore year in this......

Instant cool kid.

Attached Files:

26. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Class of 89, I had a 69 Ford Ranger SWB with a transplanted 460/C6/9inch from a 69 Lincoln Mark III. It could leave two black marks as long as I could hold the gas or to the end of the parking lot, whichever came first. The first day I drove it my buddies were raggin on the old black farm truck until it SPANKED the rich kids freshly restored 68 Camaro SS. I totaled the old girl right after graduation when I took a corner too fast and rolled it 4 times. It landed on it's wheels, well three of them because it bent the frame. The engine was still running and I drove it home. Damn I miss that truck.

27. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

I can hear all the flames coming allready--I was one of the spoiled kids at a private military acadamy--My dad bought me a new 57 Chevy Bellair for my 16th birthday, it might have been the coolest car at school, except that we were not allowed to have cars at school. Did have a friend in town that let me keep it at his house though. Weekends were fun!!!

28. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

my buddy had a 69 SS 396 chevelle. cooler than my 78 LeMans w/400 SBC. that was in 89. now I have owned his chevelle for the last 17 years.

29. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

the '64 Fairlane I drove in high school in 1987-88 is the same '64 I own now and it was certainly not the coolest but one day after a football pep rally I walked into the students' parking lot to discover every car had some shoe polish on the windows.....except mine.

Two pimply freshmen were standing by my '64 with shoe polish in hand and as I approached one said, "Man, that thing is just too nice - we thought we oughta ask first".

I said, "Dude, no problem - go ahead!". Both of them scribbled just a tiny bit on a window each and walked away. Back then though my '64 had about 90k original and had been in a garage from 1963 until 1987 when I bought it.

30. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Class of 89 built with my father a 1970 GTO with a 428 pontiac in it with rock crusher 4 speed 4.11 gears.
    We painted it corvette yellow with cragers was a super fun car look back now id never give my 16 year old kid a car like that today be like giving a monkey a machine gun. but car was really fun and a nice build but i respected it and my fater not to tear it up.