Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t young guy work in seattle area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 122wagon, Dec 14, 2004.

1. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

alright, this post is for people in the seattle area

and i have asked Ryans permission to post this so please dont hassle me.

alright my name is jake and im a senior at bothell high school. if you missed my intro im 18 and have a passion for old cars, i live in bothell which is near woodinville/lynwood/kenmore.

I wouldnt normally do this via the internet because its kinda lame but i dont know how to really go about it otherwise. Im looking for a possible job at a hot rod or custom shop in the area. I have a strong work background, in the summer i live in alaska (this coming summer is the first time i wont leave for the summer in 10 years). Since i was 13 i have been working up there doing numerous things. Mainly i have worked on a two man crew commercial fishing vessel, built houses and other large structures, worked at one of alaska's top 5 restaraunts and worked as a small outboard mechanic. I am taking college level AP calculus as a senior and other honors classes. I have taken advanced art for two years and have a large portfolio of different kinds of art including car drawings and sculptures. But most of all i just have a young mind that loves to learn and learns willingly and quickly. I dont mean to make it seem i have alot of experience with cars as i dont have a ton, but i do have some. i have some welding experience, im taking a class at my school and i have a mig, gas, and stick arc welder in my shop that i practice with. i am currently building a car of my own and have worked on other peoples cars for odd jobs, i have also built and installed custom audio systems.
    Mainly what im looking for is to just be around the trade of building cars because it is what i hope to do for a living. im more than willing to do the 'dirty work' if i can absorb knowledge and learn from the guys with "know-how". im not trying to make money chopping tops and other skilled stuff because, well....i dont know how to do the high end stuff, but i want to learn! im also not trying to make a living, im only 18

if anyone is interested in having a young gun who loves cars, helping out where he can. lemme know.

moderators - if this is the wrong forum, let me know and id be more than happy to make any changes needed.

2. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Jake,
    You might try "RETRO RODS" in lynnwood. My neighbor down the street used to work there after school, doing the dirty work but he really enjoyed it. they also seem to stay pretty busy. It is just south of the I405 and the hwy99 interchange on the west side of 99. I stopped in once to BS and they are really nice guys, you might give it a try.
    Justyn

3. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

thanks justyn!

4. Nice post kid. Very well stated. I run the front end of a rod shop, we are growing and hiring more. It might be another year or so before we are ready for another person but please send your resume, PM me for our addy.

5. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

6. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

alright well if anyone might be interested in the future my email is [email protected]

thanks all

7. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

hey i just thought id send this back up to the top, in case someone hadnt see it that maybe wanted a hand.

8. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

btt,somebody needs to find a spot for him!he's willing to learn and willing to work,rare @17!and he loves Kustom's.....wish I had a shop in seattle!

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

This is a cool thread to watch! I'm cheering you on from here, for what it's worth...(I don't know any shop owners in the Seattle area - sorry) You seem to have a good attitude - that'll take you far (maybe even to South Dakota to work with T-boss!). You'll be fine...

10. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

thanks guys

im thinkin about cruisin around to some shops and talkin to some people in person, im sure that'd work better

11. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

hey guys i just thought id bump this back up to the top to see if anyone had a new interest this spring.

thanks for looking!

12. autocol

autocol

i'm bumping this because most high-schooler's i know couldn't kick out an honest resume like this post with 3 hours of careful lying!

give the man a job!

13. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

haha

thanks autocol

14. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

hey i wanna kick this up one last time for the evening people.

then im done.

thanks again

15. Bravo Kid-
    My advice is short-Say what you are gonna do- then DO what you say.
    you should make some shop a good apprentice and that should serve you well also.....
    GOOD LUCK TO YA!

16. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

good luck man I know what its like , but i found a job working with New Jersey's traditional Hot Rod king. I lucked out, keep it up and you probably will too.

17. RoadKat

RoadKat

Great attitude Jake,nobody starts at the top and when u get the basics no body can fool u. Good luck

18. buckethead

buckethead

You might consider working for one of the quick oil change places, not related to old cars or really working on cars BUT my son worked at one in Arlington Tx once and he came in contact with hundreds of people with hotrods, streetrods and classics. He treated these people and their cars with alot more respect and went out of his way to keeps their business. This may be a way to meet people that could find the job you want. My son did have job offers from some of those people he tood care of. Just an idea, good luck

19. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

thanks for the replies

20. Rudiments

Rudiments
    from Australia

Good Luck to you Jake.
    Knock yourself up a resume and drop it off to all the panel and repair shops that you can.
    You can learn something from all types of automotive business and it all adds to your skill set.
    Just reading your post it sounds to me like you are already on the right track.

21. Have you stopped in to Retro Rides like Fedsled suggested? I drove by there the other day and they seemed to have several projects going.