Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc hyd. valve adj. ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dan

Dan

researching all the different theories on setting the vavles on a sbc with hyd. lifters...
    - I dont like doing with the engine running...
    -I dont like the methods that recommend things like "with the valve just opening or just closing", that feels like too much of an arbitrary measurement for me...

I found this and I like this idea...
    http://www.thedirtforum.com/chevyvalves.htm

Instead of rotating the crank a number of times and jumping all around, you are rotating the crank once, seems like a handy method

Anyone car to chime in on this particular method? Is it right, wrong, etc. thanks-

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It works but the diff. cam manufactures don't like it and may void your warranty if you bought new................
    It isn't as accurate on bigger spec cams..............
    The same info you posted is listed in my '62 Corvette engine manual.........

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I do it that way.

TDC#1, Adjust the Black Valves, then rotate once to TDC#6, Adjust the Red Valves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. brad chevy

brad chevy

I always do it with it running.Took a set of cheap ass valve covers cut opening in them for access,stops all the oil mess and do it one time instead of having to go back using the other method when you don"t get it right.

5. Yep - worked great for me. Adjust the rocker till is stops clacking, then give it another 1/2-3/4 of a turn for proper preload.

I did this for mild street cams - worked well and no oil everyhwere. Plus, you adjust the rocker with all components up to operating temps....rockers, lifters, cam, pushrods, the lot.

Makes sense.

Rat

6. budd

budd

you can buy little clips that go on the pushrod end off rocker arms that keep the oil from flying around, i have those, but i made a valve covers with an opening, they had a 2" tall box welded to the top just wide enough for the ratchet.

7. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

i have adjusted a few motors with the valve covers off while running and that seems the best way. untill i was attempting to adjsut one with a high volume oil pump. good luck boss.

8. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

i do them likme the chart, have done them with the engine running, but don`t like to, seems i get them too tight that way, besides the noise and hot oil......have had better luck with the engine off.....

9. jcs64

jcs64

tear some aluminum foil into small squares ( about 2"x2") then just wrap a pc around the pushrod end of the rocker arm. No mess, then do it w/ the engine running

jeff

10. i mark the spark plug tower location on the distributor base with a sharpie and use the rotor to point to the sharpie line and adjust the valves for that cylinder and just hand crank it around to the next line etc etc

11. budd

budd

thats sound like a great idea, and if you had an old cap laying around you could cut the top off.

12. The method I use you rotate the engine twice stopping at 90 degree intervals. I am not the world's reknowned expert on all things mechanical but I can tune an SBC.
    I'll dig out the info and PM it to you later today. First I have to get some carbs to the shipper.

Dan PM me so I don't loose track of you.
    Benno