Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was hot in the 1970's (man)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hester, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hester

Hester

Anyone here remember 1975?

...I just got this 48 chevy that appears to have been customized in the 70's, and I would kind of like to keep it that way, a "traditional" 70's rod, has a narrowed 73 nova front end and a mid-70's 500 caddy motor.

I've been looking at old magazine covers and so far I've determined that people in the 70's liked

white painted headers
    and 8-tracks.

I don't really want either of those...

But any other cool mods or trinkets that scream "1975" I'd love to hear about them

(Also anyone in Northwest who has info on this car please let me know, I'm pretty sure someone drove this around for a while but I know its been indoors for the last 15 years)

http://www.fillthegapphoto.com/img/productimages/385_1.jpg

http://www.fillthegapphoto.com/img/productimages/256_1.jpg

http://www.fillthegapphoto.com/img/productimages/256_2.jpg

http://www.fillthegapphoto.com/img/productimages/256_3.jpg

http://www.fillthegapphoto.com/img/productimages/256_4.jpg

http://www.fillthegapphoto.com/img/productimages/256_5.jpg

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you want to learn all about the 70's search "Andy's Picnic". there are several threads here with vintage pics from this old time rod run in the mid 70's.

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

4. John Denich

John Denich

Nice....

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Keystones with meats in the back and SHACKLES, raised white letter O's, Fender flares, velvet, 8 track, CB, HUGE antenna, Crazy paint and a pignose amp and Les Paul Custom so you can let the Ladies know what's...goin.....down...to....night.

Your car? Or the best van ever?

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

'75 is before I was born but I'm pretty sure I was a sleezebag in my previous life.

7. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

8. Hester

Hester

CB radio is definitely a must

But I think I've got the velvet part down pat...

Attached Files:

9. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Grass, disco & afros

11. This.... taking a pristene Shelby GT350 and adding fiberglass flares for road racing... Craig Power Play 8 track player and orange shag carpeting in the 29 Model A pick Up..., a crap load of jacked up muscle cars and beards!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

Attached Files:

13. f100newb

f100newb

apparently my mom.. I was born in 75. LOL

14. doc's

doc's

:d:d:d

15. CARMENDER

CARMENDER

Don't forget side pipes.

16. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Street rods as we know them today were becoming popular. Billet parts were new & cool. Big smog motors, 455, 454, 460.

And painted differential covers with slogans, names, or the Zig-zag man on them.

If you had the Zig-zag man on there, you better not be "drivin' dirty" because you KNOW the Man will be checking on you. But it made scoring weed easier. (Not me, a high school classmate, but I got to watch...)

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Even though I was glad when the 70s went away I think I would like to go back,even with the so called gas crisis back then the gas was less then a buck a gallon.

18. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

The 70's ? hmmm I can't remember anything after 69...
    Cherry Bombs hanging off your headers, That was the shitz.

19. The 46-'48 Oldsmobile grill works really well and changes the look without much if any body work.

20. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

And if ya want to get down and funky-patent leather platform shoes with a 3 inch heel, double knit polyester leisure suit, and a tight curly perm.
    Lots of window stickers and a "keep on truckin" front license plate.
    Damn, I'm glad those fads are dead.

21. MBog

MBog

Gabriel HighJackers and no bras...

22. budd

budd

23. 29pu

29pu

thats funny.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

when i was 12 or 13 there was a guy on my street with a 55 Chevy..with an awesome lace paint job..somewhere in the mid 70's
    deep red paint and deep in that candy red was a lace pattern..looked F-ing killer, and sounded bad ass,also.. frenched dual antennas..

25. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

It was totally cool to have your ass end jacked up with a rake to the front. Everyone had shackles and big fat tires that stuck out the wheel wells. A lot of quarter panel wheel wells got hacked up to clear the fat tires. I know ,I ruined a few myself,LOL. Oh yea you had to paint the rear end white. Wide white letter tires were a must. That sucker had to roar, Cherry bombs were cheep and the louder the better. Blue tinted ,smoke color or red windows was applied with spray cans that you had to run the color all the way down the glass ,it was crap stuff but hay it looked good at 50 feet away or 50 MPH. Oh man those were the days!

26. Car related: Purple Hornies, Cherry bombs, dual point distributors, Surfer gas pedals, and dimmer switches, Cragars, murals, crushed velvet interiors, flared wheel wells, etc.
    Culture related: Mini skirts, Go-Go boots, Granny dresses, Led Zepplin, Alice Cooper, The Doors, Deep Purple, Bread, Three Dog Night, Peace signs, Weed, LSD, Black lights, Protests, sit ins, rebelling against the "establishment", etc.

27. harp

harp

air shocks,headers, cyclone purple hornies, j.c whitney scoops & custom acc. ,pioneer 8 track supertuner in glove box, amp, remote control{wire] to deck in console,50's or 60's in the back, 70's in the front , cragar ss, and best of all,,, .50 cents gallon gas!!!:)

28. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Not! Gas peaked at $1.29 a gallon and minimum wage was $2.10
    It did have some good points tho. I remember the back row at the used car lot. Any car on that row was $25, and most of them were HAMB friendly :)

29. retromotors

retromotors

If you actually remember very much about the '70s, you probably weren't ... uh, "participating" much ....!!!:eek:

30. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn't all hideous paint jobs and silly trinkets, there were some great looking hot rods back then. And yes, I admit it, I love slot mags (which would look great on your Chevy!) If you did want to change the interior from the velvet (it actually LOOKS smelly) diamond button tufted Naugahyde is period-ok and looks a lot better IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.