Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 street machine build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nwx, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 76cam

76cam

Looks good.But might be better with the ass end down alittle.

2. Well you've certainly come a long ways from those first pics of the car you posted.

Good on ya. :cool:

I may drop the rear a bit it looks like it is slightly down hill from back to front. Once you drive those drag radials in on a wet road you'll probably decide you want something a little taller and skinnier anyway and you will no doubt end up cutting the fender wells.

Anyway looks good from here. Lots of progress and a long ways from where you started.

3. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Those drag radials are pretty worn and I agree, I will likely end up with something different for tires/wheels.
    As for the rear, I wanted to see what it would look like by just putting the axle under the leafs and by chance it would look right. I'm not thinking I got that lucky. I think I will be putting the axle back over the leafs and inverting some longer shackles to get the height.

4. Longer shackles or get the Ol' Man to help you rearch the springs. Either will work.

5. Kenny P

Kenny P

Lookin' Mean!!!

6. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

1 vote for lower and radius the rear

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Oh yeah, i love it!

8. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

My 2cents is that you will be running a lot taller front tire at some point and that should make all the difference in the world as far as look and stance.

On another note I don't think you need any help as fast as your gettin this think done! Haha but I'm still willing to help if I ever get over this cold!

Also it looks great!

9. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

10. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks for the pic chevyben!! That does put a different perspective on things. Yep, those front tires I have are crap anyway. After sleeping on it, I think the rear does need to come down a bit but damn, I like the look of that 54.

11. looking good! keep up the good work, bob

12. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

Again my 2 cents is all. I think get the front set before deciding on the rear. As the front rocks up the rear will lower it's self. I just hate to see you do things like I do over and over. Haha

13. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

Great job - I have subscribed - looking forward to sharing your journey

14. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Cool jaz!

15. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

I have been in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for parts (aka money). The brown santa dropped off some nice bits from Welder Series
    [​IMG]
    And I just ordered some cheaters from Towel City
    [​IMG]

16. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I like your project. It s gonna be bad ass when its done.
    Check out this pic, I think the stance is perfect. Picture lifted from here somewhere.

[​IMG]

17. 53mercury

53mercury

Great car even if it is a chebby.;) It's your car, but I would bring the rear down. It kinda looks like a female dog getting ready to get poked. It's all just imagery I guess. Keep up the good work and keep some of your dads favorite beverage on hand. Mike

18. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

damn thats a great shot fierro! And yep, the rear will come down a bit. The tires I ordered are 9" vs. the 12.5" that are on there now. They should tuck in the fender a bit.

19. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

A little more progress today. To get the height in the back I tried spring over axle, that is not going to work so I am putting the spring back under but with floaters to minimize any binding by the ladder bars.
    Here is my version of axle floaters:
    This is what was on the car when I got it
    [​IMG]
    I re-shaped the pad to follow the contour of the leaves a bit better
    [​IMG]
    Cut some plate for the sides
    [​IMG]
    Then some tubing
    [​IMG]
    Here is the final mock up
    [​IMG]

20. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Damn the camera on my phone sucks..

21. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

I was waiting for some tires so I could dial in the rear suspension a bit. Now that I am playing around with axle floaters and lifting the rear with shackles, I had to mock things up to see how they fit. I ordered the rear cheaters from Towel City and they fit perfect! I will be rolling the rear fenders a bit for good measure but the tires actually tuck up pretty nice.
    This setup dropped the rear quite a bit and now that I have some street tires up front, I think I have something to work with.
    [​IMG]
    I also tacked in the ladder bars. I put them as close to the center of the rear axle as possible to avoid as much binding as possible during articulation. Does anyone see a problem with this? Yes, the drivers ladder bar still needs some work..
    [​IMG]

22. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

Only thing with them in so far that can happen is side to side wheel hop if your springs are loose. That car looks bitchin.

23. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Headers and front shocks figured out. The next thing is going to be the drivers seat so I can position the steering column and get the rest of the steering put together. Then I think it will be time to tear the whole thing apart, finish the welding and start on making things pretty
    [​IMG]

24. kolor me kustom

kolor me kustom
    from Dallas, GA

what headers are you using on the car ?

25. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Speedway Item #: 9300150H

I did have to cut off the front supports off the firewall but other than that, they fit great!

26. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Nice build love the Gasser look. I would mount the ladder bars father apart for stability, when you launch that thing its going to twist having the bars close to center they will act as a piviot point. This might cause the car to lean and get loose. I know back half cars run them like that but there tubbed and dont have much choice. Just a thought.
    Keep up the good work.

27. bgaro

bgaro

u got the right idea, its coming out nicley.

28. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

Yep, I decided to move them out a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The homegrown u bolts are just there to hold everything in place until I set the pinion angle and get the floaters welded up

29. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I think you will be happier with them moved out.
    Im diggin those tail lights, can you tell if they fit in the stock 54 housing's or have the 53's been modified?

30. nwx

nwx
    from Tacoma, WA

There is ALOT of bondo on this one..