Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A spring perch with later wishbone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideshowrob, Mar 1, 2011.

1. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

hi all, in in the process on pairing a front wishbone, like this= http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519077 .
    i was doing a mock up tonight and noticed that the stock spring perch is to short for the 'fronts' of my 48 wishbones, i want to run the stock spring perch as i want to run stock 'A' shocks up front. my question is do i

A. mill down the front casting to something like an 'A'
    or
    B. adapt a new spring perch so it has the shock ball on it?

pics....

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do you think??

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

You're gonna need to weld shock balls onto longer perches.

3. 117harv

117harv

4. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

I drilled the wishbone out. Pretty sketchy since i cant get a bolt on the bottom properly, ill be welding a ball onto a different perch in the future when it gets back on the road.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

5. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

6. The taper is 60 degrees. A machine shop should be able to trim the tops and recut the seat on a mill. I call this the 1/4" drop. There is a lot of meat in the top knuckle and you can take more if you need to.

7. GARY?

GARY?

Same here as Bib Overalls except that I recut the seat with a hand drill and used the 60 degree, 1 1/4" taper reamer. If some of the taper still exists the reamer will do a good job centering itself.
    This might be the same pic that Harv linked to...

Attached Files:

• ends.jpg
      ends.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
  8. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

cheers all......its mill time.

9. Before you start milling shit, check your axle angle in the mock up as you may need to pie cut the bones to get it right, thats why i said maybe split the A bones you have as they have the axle rake built in.
    Just a thought!

10. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

the axle rake should be ok, both the 'A' and the 48 ends are set the same.(i think?), all i'm really doing is extending the wishbone but not changing the rake, pretty much set up as stock, or am i missing something?

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I believe that "A" caster was less then later model wishbones.

Why not check out a pair of 35-36 bones, and cut the axle boss to 2 1/4" from 2" from the inside?

i say this expecting that the outer depth of the axle boss on the 35-36 bone is less than the 48 bone, and would allow your perch bolts to be used.

Can anyone clarify if this is the cars.

There are a pair of 35-36 bones for sale in the classifieds here, and on FordBarn.

12. striper

striper

I'd definitely check this Rob. I have '48 bones which i set up parallel to the ground (until the spring settled a bit) and I ended up with way too much caster, like 13*. I didn't want to pie cut the bones so I went with it. It drives really straight. It's just the turning that can be troublesome. It's not too bad actually but it is a bit heavy so pie cutting is on my winter to-do list.

Pete

13. GARY?

GARY?

The 36 bones I used fit the 2" axle. I had to do a little to get 6 degrees of caster. When I unsplit them I put a little bend back by the the yolk which makes me think you may want to listen to Human Fly.
    Sorry, this is the best pic I have.

Attached Files: