Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Quarter panels widened on a 53bel air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyben, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

Ok don't jump on me to bad. I have a 53 bel air and the big problem is no room for rear tires. I want to set up something that looks cool and fixes my problem. I wouldn't dream of tubing the car. So please help me with any pic's or advice.

2. samurai mike

samurai mike

there was a 1950 olds around here years ago that had the quarters widened. it didn't look very good. that's as nice as i can say that.

3. The_Monster

The_Monster

Only suggestion I have is a pair of custom "bubble skirts"? Heres a few pics I found real quick on the net. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Every '53 Chevy I've ever seen has rear tires under it...or do you want to put wider tires under it...???

Surely you must mean Tubbing...or were you planning on putting a tube chassis under it...???

Best bet is to move the leaf springs inboard...that'll gain you some room, or go to a four link...widening the fenders won't look quite correct, I think.

R-

5. cavman

cavman

The rear springs are directly under the frame rails, it don't do no good to move them in.
    I have a tire with nearly a 10 in wide cross section on the rear of my 53, on an 8.5 in wide wheel. S-10 4x4 rear, with almost an inch clearance in and out. How wide do you want to go?

cav

6. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

New tires? Hate to say it but bubble skirts are kinda killers for me and others and widening the quarters will look ridiculous. They are build that way from Detroit for a reason. What wheels are you trying to fit under there?

7. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

You can always go up....

<HR>
    [​IMG]

<HR>

[​IMG] <HR>

[​IMG] <HR>

[​IMG] <HR>

8. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

53-54 Chevies have great lines from Detroit as it is. Leave 'em.

9. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

Wow caveman you can get a 10 wide tire on a 8.5 rim? That will work. Do you have any picks? Sorry 40 studdude I'm typing on my new iPad and it changes stuff more than I think. I'm going to be making a large hp number with a twin turbo 383 stroker. I am going to get new frame rails from Art Morison. I want the car low with good handling.x drag 48 I love that car but I'm to far down the air bag low road haha thanks for the input.