Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pro'sand con's of making a hotrod right hand drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oh62fomoco, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

To be honest,I think it would be a wasted effort.We drive on the left but most guys over here prefer their hot rods left hand drive.Unless you already have a customer for the car who has specified r/h/d,I'd 'steer clear' of that set up.

2. con... you have to back through drive up windows.

3. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

It's you car. Build it the way YOU want. Does it really matter what everyone else says? Build it then drive the wheels off.

4. I wouldn't by one. I don't think you are an idiot but this is probably not one of your better ideas.

If it was a Thaymes or an Anglia perhaps.

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

From an Englishman with a left-hand drive, AMEN in 50 foot tall neon lights with trumpets and a choir of angels singing "hallelujah". Unless of course you are building SPECIFICALY to sell overseas, in which case you should be aware that Europe, England and Australia are getting tough on the import of modified vehicles, which may make a large impact on any potential customer interest from abroad
    Good luck.
    Paul

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I think it would be cool, but drive up windows and bank drive throughs would be challenging.

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Just sell it to a Lefty

8. Nah you just back through. Which is pretty cool if you ask me.

I remember once we had this little New Yorker (way OT) that the drivers window quit working so we backed through the drive through at Long John Silvers. What a hoot.

So I guess that's another pro backing up to drive through windows.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Not sure if this was brought up or not..

Your sitting in the left lane to make a left turn , facing the on coming left turn vehicles..you cant see shit oncoming in the lanes of traffic because you are not on the left side of your car..
    you take a chance its clear and go..hitting a car or motorcycle head on(accually cutting them off) because your right hand driving vehicle put you in a possition not to be able to see if the traffic was clear
    Not all left hand turn lanes are with a green arrow, and even than you cant trust the on coming traffic has stopped or will stop..

What a Darwin way to die..have at it, stay the fuck out of my state..ok?
    hope you got good insurance, 'cause when you nail someone if they are smart , they are going to sue the pants off you, if you survive.

oh and if your solution is to sit in the left lane until there is no one blocking your view, than you have become an anchor to the rest of us that would like to get on with our lives

sorry if i have injected way too much common sense, it seems to be something not found that much these days and people dont know how to deal with it when its in their face.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

google right hand drive countries you will be suprised how many there are

i have lhd vehicles and i like them but then again i like to be different

11. lol!!:d:d:d

12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doing it from the opposite pespective (lhd car driven on the left) i have to agree with overtaking etc, etc but you get used to it. Driving solo and paying tolls / parking attendants are a pita too.

One situation not mentioned - reactions of others. One time, many years ago i went to get gas and took the burly 13 year old son with me. Gassed up and went in to pay leaving junior in the roadster. In the meantime, unbeknown to me, another car pulls up behind and the guy driving starts getting all shitty and verbal because the car in front isn't moving away from the pump and the 'driver' is just sitting there. On my return to the car and receiving quick expalnation as to the goings the agitant looked decidedly stupid and embarassed as the error of his ways eventually dawned. He didn't seem to object to the tube steak stroking hand jesture I gave him as we left either. We still laugh about that one.

Chris

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Pros-You'll fit right in on the roads when you and your car travel abroad.
    Cons-You'll have a tough time finding a buyer here, and you'll never fit into any categorie.

14. If he was throwing a snit he might have thought that the tube steak gesture was you asking for a date. :eek: :)

Back to it I guess if I was extremley bored with life I might do something as silly as build a right hand drive Ford. I have certainly done sillier things in my life. :eek:

15. captain_crud

captain_crud

That's what I say too! Go for it! I think it would be very cool......a lot of guys convert their VW bugs and imports to RHD, and while yes, it is a bitch to make left turns and pass, it's do-able. I know, I've got a RHD car and I commuted in it for years.....150 miles a day.

A lot of responses here sound sort of grumpy and hater-ish......shit, this whole hobby is about looking cool and being attention whores.....lol.....so WTF?!

16. badshifter

badshifter

Holy Crap! You could not be more wrong as to what it's all about Crud. Looking cool is totally subjective, and in most cases a byproduct of doing something or building something for yourself. As for getting attention, there are much easier ways to do that than building a morphed right hand drive car.

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Okay, so now we have the "do what you want" brigade on board, can I just point out that the original poster asked for opinions. So, I guess to him, it does matter what everyone says or he wouldn't have asked in the first place. There has been no "hating" that I can see here, but I can soon alter that for you. I don't really think on a traditional Rod and Kustom board anyone gives a shit what people do to their VW bugs and imports.Do any FNG's bother reading the rules before they post anymore?
    And back to our regular scheduled broadcast.
    Paul

18. Paul that hate just isn't up to par.

This is not opinion it is a fact building a right hand drive car to drive on this side of the pond is about as smart as building a rear steer car. There is no logical reason to do it. Sure we joke about all the things it is good for but give me a brake are ther really any hot newpaper boys or mailmen? Even if it was an import unless I was going to restore it and it had some restored value I would convert it to left steer. It just makes good common sense. I don't care if somebody's volkswagon or any other OT car is left steer or not its just a bad idea. Hell even if I had a 3 wheeled Morgan and I was planning on driving it I would convert it to left steer.

19. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Benno,I will try harder next time:D.
    Paul

20. 90% of the time, I had a passenger who was savy enough to tell me when to go.
    Not really a biggy problem when you look at all the hassles of everyday driving.

21. Ford1801

Ford1801
    from Maryland

yeah drive throughs would be rough. reaching across the seat to get your food.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This must be the week for the real winners to come out of the woodwork. We've seen this guy asking if changing to rhd will "add value" to the car, one guy who wants to know what "cool vintage accessories like coolers" he can carry in the late model truck he just inherited with the early style glass nose and then the guy who wants new paint but wants it to look 20 years old. What's next? Someone asking how he can put a dummy clutch pedal in his car so it will look like it's a stick instead of an automatic?
    I'm wondering if the circus came to town this week.

23. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Passing isn't so bad...pull out alittle and check the look on the passengers face. If it's terror, pull back in and don't pass yet.
    Guy I knew had a rhd MG Midget and a pre teen daughter. Cops would pull him over wanting to know why he was letting some one underage drive. He tried to explain to one cop and the cop cut him off and said I'm talking to the driver, pointing to his daughter. He mentioned that since the steering wheel was in front of him, he might be considered the driver. Unwanted attention....

24. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Pro or con? When a cop decides to rip you out of the car to arrest you he will pull out your passenger, and not you. I have seen this happen (OT tuner) and it was hilarious! But, the cop was so embarrassed/pissed about his mistake he threw the book at the REAL driver :(

25. wanabe28

wanabe28

I've noticed the states are now using the metric system, maybe they'll eventually drive on the left hand side as well, you may be a trendsetter. Cheers from downunder.

26. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I had a friend that had a OT right-hand drive auto and I believe he HAD to convert it to lefty. Something about "gov't" vehicles can only be RHD. Don't know for sure if he was just being hassled but it was originally RHD and he had to convert it to LHD. Could've been a "state" thing.:confused:

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Being RHD down under I heard this once happened to a drink driver. Cops made the passenger (Your passenger side) blow in a road side breath test, not realizing car was LHD and then him go. Driver who had a few too many actually drove off and breathed a sign of relief despite being over the limit (.05%) .:eek:

28. deadbeat

deadbeat

If thats what you want then do it.Its no different than us down here building one left hand drive.
    My wife has a 63 t/bird & she drives the snot out of it,all over NZ.She just picks the right time & place to overtake.Its neat when you get pulled over by a cop & he walks up to the passenger side,that cracks me up.Or its embarressing when you fill it up with gas,pay your money then go to get into the passenger side with everyone watching!
    But what does get up my nose is when someone buys an American car & converts it to right hand drive :mad:
    Deadbeat

29. You're not wrong there .. :eek:

30. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Cars in Australia had to be RHD to get registered till recient years, when cars over 30 years old were allowed to remain LHD.
    During the 70's till now i have converted my share of American cars to RHD. and see nothing wrong with doing so. If that is what the owner wants.
    I have had several Americans ask about finding Australian based American models with the intension of sending them to America. But all have asked if they could be converted to LHD before shipping as they liked our different body styles but were not interested in having to drive a RHD car
    in a LHD country