Register now to get rid of these ads!

327 sbc what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Feb 27, 2011.

1. upinsmokebbq

upinsmokebbq

Just had my 1967 rebuilt pushing about 385 horse. great motor

Deuces likes this.
  2. I think the 327 has more of a vintage sixties vibe. The 350 is a great motor but belly button compared to the venerable 327. I have a 327 going together for my 29 Model A roadster and I'm matching together period sixties components for it. Yes there are better flowing heads than the camel humps. Yes, there are torquer set-ups to be had with more cubes. But you know what? The 327 has a little something called provenance, and will make some very nice hp and rev freely as opposed to making massive amounts of torque. Especially in a light car, like an A. You may want to reverse your firewall to make a little more room for your 327. Or run a magneto for additional clearance and coolness. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.
  3. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

So does my cam sound like it will be decent? I've asked before and was told I should swap it as well....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. You're asking the same questions I did several months ago. I've got a build blog on my 327 for my '29 roadster. I cover cam choice, reasons why, etc. You might have to dig a little, but it's all in there. Feel free to check it out and join.

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. The 327 is the SHIZ-NIGHT a real gm hot rod motor for the bow-tie lover or the reliability factor
    [​IMG]

6. the big difference in a big journal 327 is larger rod bolts they are 3/8 instead of 5/16 so you are going from 283 rod bolt strength to 350 rod bolt strength, and rod bolts can be a failure point on mildly hoped SBC
    I won a lot of money with a bored:D 327 running 331 cu in in a late model stock car, tight track and a lot of RPM they will run and hum nicely that was 20 years ago

7. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Someone NOT familiar with a 327 Chevy? That engine MADE Chevrolet.

I must be getting REALLY old.

Mark

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm thinking the same thing. Now I try to forget the 307!

9. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I'm putting one in my T coupe and one in my 62 Biscayne. They love RPM, can't seem to hurt em if you rev em. They really work well with a stick. All small journal's (62 - 67) have forged cranks and I was told by someone in the know that it is the best crank Chevy ever made. The only drawback on the early ones is no accessory holes in the heads.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. Best motor! Had one in just about everything I built back in the day including a model A tudor for 12 years before selling it. try and get one with the larger valves like 300 H.P. and up.

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Dennis D

Dennis D

My '65 Corvette was a 365 solid lifter motor 327. Every time I think of that car I hate my ex more, but that's another story! Shop that did my machine work on the 327 I am building for my car kept tellin' me how much easier to get parts for a 350 was. Not interested I said. I am really looking forward to driving one again. Like several have said, finding a standard bore or even a 30 over is getting tough. Dennis D

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. GREAT ENGINE! Those valve covers would look good on my coupe! Would you consider selling them or trade? I have been looking for a set for years.They repop'em but they have breather castings that won't clear my shaft rockers.Yours are gorgeous! Let me know...R~R

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I own 2, a large journal and a small journal. The large journal motors dont feel like proper 327's to me. Dont know WHY anyone would consider actually choosing a large journal 327 over a small journal.

14. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

i have one in my 55 pickup its a 65 300 hp with 194 valve camel hump heads.And i have one in waiting on the shop floor that is a 67 300 hp with (spiker heads). I have only heard those heads called that.Does anyone know if those heads are any good?or does anyone know what the hell im talking about?sorry no pics of that motor

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're kidding, Right?

Deuces likes this.
  16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

One of the best endorsements of the 327 came from the start of the Pro/Stock class. Bill Jenkins, a chevy guru if there ever was one, chose the 327 to power his first Pro/Stock effort. He knew the other brands would be fielding the best of the best of thier engine line up and if he expected to be competitive he would have to follow suit. With his extensive experience with every combination that Chevy offered he made the decision to use a 327. The results speak for themselves as many a big block powered competitor, even the mighty hemi, fell victim to his little 327 Vega. Case closed!!:)

Frank

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Of COURSE it would fit better! Its 23 inches smaller!:rolleyes:

18. darkk

darkk

I ran a high horse power 327 for 9 years in my old coupe before I sold it. And it saw plenty north of 6500 rpm.....:)

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

I kept my mouth shut when I read that....:rolleyes:

20. Deuces

Deuces

That why I bubbed it the "giant killer" on another thread... A properly "tuned" 327/350 L-79 motor ruled over the hemis in the stock classes back in the day...

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. I threw together a "327" using a 010 high nickel block, 307 crank, plain jane 5.7 rods, 9.25-9.5 comp SpeedPro hyper-eu pistons, 461 heads, old style 488 lift K1106 cam.
    I really like how the engine pulls in my light car, feels like driving a vehicle that has the power feeling of a good motorcycle.
    Firewall setback in a 29 A with stock wheelbase and chassis style? 3" and a pocket for the distributor with having the timing cover face of the block being 8 1/4" front the front spring centerline.
    23" smaller is funny too!!!!

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Some might say that the Hemi actually fell victim to the extra 1/2 a pound per ci NHRA made them carry. To put it in perspective, if the rules were REALLY "heads up" a 426 Hemi powered challenger at the 6.75 lb per inch break that Jenkins raced at would have raced at 2876 lbs. At 6.75, jenkins vega wieghed 2235. They ACTUALLY had to run at 7.25 lbs per ci, or 3088lbs. In other words, the only way Jenkins could beat the hemis was if they carried an extra 212lb handicap, or approx. 2 tenths. Jenkins didnt have the field covered by ANYTHING LIKE two tenths, and NHRA added EVEN MORE weight to the hemis the following year. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Huh???? Probably not if they were tuned the same... Pistons, heads, cam, intake, carb, dizzy and headers....

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Actually, Jerry Stahl was the NHRA season champ in A/S in '66 with, you guessed it, a '66 Hemi Belvedere.

25. Weasel

Weasel

Why are no accessory holes in the heads a drawback? That is one of the things that gives it it's period correct feel and there are plenty of bracket solutions out there, both factory and aftermarket - even if you do want to run A/C ;)....

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. tmoble

tmoble

Ha! I wasn't going to say a thing. You guys are hilarious.

I mean, anybody knows that, right? 327 is 7% smaller on the inside, must be 7% smaller on the outside too. Who said all those small blocks are the same?

27. 67cst

67cst

They are great mills, ive got a 365hp 327 in my 67 cst p/u. Goes like a raped ape

Attached Files:

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Why would the large journal motor make more power than the small journal motor. Increased bearing speed? more friction?

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

man, typical Hamb, hot and cold running BS.

30. Deuces

Deuces

Gee, I thought the "Grumpster" was with his '66 Nova er Chevy II!!! At least that's what I read......

1Nimrod likes this.