Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why don't projects ever get finished?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kentuckian, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you "finish" a project, you won't have anything to do.

2. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

"hope this doesnt happen to me" famous last words. I am about to dive head first into my first project! I did my home work first.. figured out exactly what car I want 54 2dr chevy post. paid off the 03 honda, saved enough cash to buy a decent car out right. so here it goes! My goal is next years LSR.

3. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

What I try to do is just save a good amount of money before I buy a project, money to purchase and money to actually build with. when I was looking for my last project I couldn't find a car for a few months I kept looking but nothing was just clicking for me.

When I started my search I had 4k but by the time I actually found the car I wanted (51' Nash) I had saved up almost 7k. So the beginning of my build went smooth and quick. But now the money is all gone...at least I had a head start...

4. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

YESSSSSSS!!! It needs to be your last wakeful thought as you close your eyes to go to sleep at night. I think about it all day every day. I have even caught myself thinking about it while making out with the wife and she's a good looking lady:D....and no she doesn't know this! HAHA!

5. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

A true hot rod is never actually finished......

6. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Guess that's why I'm redoing it for the 3rd time!:eek: Going BIG this time! Thread coming soon...at least I hope so...

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Kentuckian
    Your not alone by brother

8. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

But if i finish I'll have to go in the house and watch tv :eek:

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Let's see , last year reroof house ( 5 years over due ) replace worn out water softener, help youngest kid with car ( 3K ), water heater died, and tada now the cloth dryer. And next year youngest kid getting married.
    Is that enough challenges to getting my 54 done?

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Happens to all of us. Over the last two weeks, I had to put batteries in two of our cars and a starter in another. Wife wanted a water softener, her car needed two tires. I bought a beater pickup that needed a lot of small work includind tie rods, shocks, and tune up. My roof is ten years overdue, and I need to do siding/siffit work + all new windows. Need to tile the kitchen and would like to pave the driveway.
    On my last project, I'm trying to break the cycle of finishing one only to have to sell it. Because the money usually goes into home projects rather than the next car. The only thing I did do different this time was build my car on a cash-only basis. I still don't think I'll ever be able to afford all the house projects I need to do - ever.

11. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Car lovers of the world! Get to work on your ride!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Lock the children in the cellar so that you won't hear their hungry cries of pain. Tell the wife that she won't get any more until the car is finished. (that one will really work) and get out in the garage with the beer and a welding torch and get it done!

12. Money gets to be my hang up at times.
    I've adopted the "build it the way I want or don't do it" mentality. Well my taste and pocketbook arent on the same page.
    If it takes me 10 years to finish then it takes me ten years to finish. I didn't settle this time like I did on other projects. I am building my dream truck and that keeps me focused.
    Hope I don't eat my words some day.:D

13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

So let's review things so far exposed...

1. Money seems to be the main culprit. It's not a problem affording to buy the project, just affording to finish it.

2. Having a project that needs work above your skill level.

3. Wandering off to other projects before the first one is done.

4. Changing direction from original plans on project.

This bonding with other HAMBers makes me feel better about myself. I can see I am not alone in my sometimes declining interest in projects I had purchased over the years. Where were you guys when I was younger? I probably would not have listened anyway.

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Very true! I thought I was going to do a full on build my first car. I'm a self learner and thought I can do anything. Ten years ago I had a lot less funds too. Learned quickly that I was in over my head.

15. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

Id have to agree with everyones statements from above, i know ive found myself getting more than one project at a time, ill be trying to focus on one, and find myself looking at the other one while working on the first, then next thing i know im working on the second one. Then i run out of money or get discouraged and someone shows up and wants to trade me out of one. Then you have people telling you you never finish anything which discourages you more. The main problem i find is life in general getting in the way, just when you think youre going to have some car money, something breaks around the house. (mine this week was a new $3600 well for the house). I was happy to finish my first hot rod build last fall, nothing gives you a kick in the seat like actually finishing one, really makes you want to start a new one and get it done too.

16. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been buying parts for 20 years cash only and have enough parts to complete at least two of the five projects in the 28x48 two story barn I built last summer. The only problem is the time as I start building the house to go with it! Yes the wife agreed I needed the work shop first just so I could get all my junk in one place and quit using everyone elses storage. I should have time next year I am retiring.

17. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

WTF.....I thought it was finished . $$$$$$...

18. lowongas

lowongas

My BIGGEST problem is I have the parts and I am learning as I go BUT I have NO ONE to teach me locally.I have put out several ads for help but never heard back for someone to help.It hurts because I DONT want to lose interest BUT it sure makes its hard to keep going.

19. Smokey2

Smokey2

You're NOT ALONE, MR Dreamer! You have to Know What you want and STICK WITH IT!......SAME goes fer Wimmin'............Ability to re-cog-nize WHAT'cha got! an if GOOD....Stick WITH IT!!!!
    I've always ben able to DO what I wanted W/CARS!! Then Sold It, an Got sumthin' Eles I'd Wanted,..................I;ve Got 37 (thirty-seven) projects, GOIN' NOW!! Probably, won't live long enough to see'em done.........But Fun Do'in Them!!
    ONE is MY 56 yr ole' Lady!

She'd pass for 44........and my '53 Chebie, I'm Werkin' On. Sooo, Stick-toit-ness makes tha' Difference............Stick to IT! Stuck To-it! Whatever,
    Keep on Keepin' ON.
    Moonshine, I Drink! $ 20.00 QT.
    Goodnite, Irene,,,Where Ever You Are.

20. desocoupe

desocoupe
    from iowa

I think a lot of time they get stuffed in a corner "out of sight out of mind'' I finally vowed this piece of shit ain't leaving the shop unless its under it's own power, for fifteen years I moved it a half dozen times. I guess we'll see. All though I did acquire some important parts in that time.

21. F8TL

F8TL

i have to break my project down into a series of little projects...

i find it easier to stay focused and not get overwhelmed in the $$$

the frame is one, the body, drive train, ect...

you may need to break them down farther but it will help.

YOUR clear vision will help also. who gives a crap about what someone else wants, that is what the factory is for... cookie cutter cars.

22. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I learned that I cant take on big projects. So get something close to being on the road. Do a little work put it on the road. Just do cool shit to it as you go.

23. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Other vehicles break...or your married!

24. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

Come on guys a hot rod is never finished, get real.

The only person that does not make mistakes is the person that does nothing. Dick

25. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have never quit a project car I started, but I still haven't finished my first project (my 39 coupe) after over 30 years. I have finished a slew of easier cars in the interim though.

The 39 was too ambitious for my first project since I had no metal working skills and there was no HAMB to learn from.

I "almost" finished it in the mid 90's only to come to understand that all of the work I did as a kid just sucked. :O Anyway I started redoing it a couple of years ago and I am stoked to have put the hood on today.

The smart move for most of us is to start with more simple projects and work our way to the more complex ones.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Don't know how I missed this thread, I may be in competition for "Most Unfinished Projects" both automotive and general homeowner projects. I did finish one car back in 1975, had fun with it and sold it in '89. Projects have come and gone and I'm down to the "Keepers" now. The HAMB is great, lots of info and the greatest people in the world willing to share it. I really enjoy following everyones build, but all total I may have 3-4 hours of work on my projects this year so far. Wonder if driving to an event in a Hot Rod or Custom makes the event different that driving the daily drive there? It's doubtfull that I'll ever know.

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Because I'm a lazy sole. If I spent as much time on my car as I did here it would be done.

28. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Because if it was finished it would not be a project anymore.

29. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

So with that you're saying a HotRodder is someone who never finishes his cars?
    Even without owning anything older than '57, that would still make me a serious HotRodder I guess..!! :D

30. I am pretty much just distracted my shinny things or small fuzzy animals running by.....I have probably 5 rotating "permanent" projects that get a little work done then stuck back in the corner. On top of that I "save" 5-10 cars / trucks a year from fields, back yards and the crusher only to dump money into, loose interest, and push down the road to some new schumck with more money then brains just like myself. Its pretty much a revolving cycle for me.