Register now to get rid of these ads!

A sad day for the Lifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoozi, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Harell Los Angeles

Harell Los Angeles

I remember the look on yours and Jerrys face seeing the squashed truck rolling into watson lake. We had to go all the way to the top of the grass, and it had been raining (go figure) and I tried to get the gate guy to let us park at the bottom of the hill. He said no and so I went to the top. And with the slicks on it they spun mud all over the car. We parked and abandoned it like that and one old guy asked if we were going to clean it up and we just laughed. The show and shine guys were baffled haha.. It was a fun trip..

2. Judging by the friends he left he was one hell of a guy. RIP

3. 52pig

52pig

Sorry to read this, may he rest in peace knowing of the love his family and friends shared with him in his short time on are world.
    Godspeed Mikey.

4. ilguy

ilguy
    from Illinois

RIP Mike....sorry for your loss fellas

5. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

my condolenses RIP mikey.
    my prayers go out to the club and family

6. R.I.P. Mikey

7. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Justins right, Mickey would bitch at me all the time, I would build a car in his back yard enough so it would stumble across his front yard, and then park it and start building the next one, Mickey would yell at me " All you do is build model cars, they never drive and all they do is rot and die in my back yard , why don't you finish one " he never got it , the cars where my excuse to visit him. Mickey had his flaws too, he was a car slob, he never washed his cars , the worst case was his bitchen shinny black 34 3-window, he would drive it to car shows with a half inch of dust on it. he said he got a kick out of watching the street rodders chase him down with their dust mops and bang on the body to see if it was real, they would walk away muttering ,f-kid, you don't deserve this car.Mick'ey was a simple guy, he did'nt eat much and had the culinary preferance as Groacho, he would eat at Winershizsal almost every day, it was always chili-cheese dog on a preztel bun, and chili cheese fries, his second choice was Taco Bell. Mickey never drank booze or beer , and always ended driving our drunk asses around , but man he was a fiend for Doctor Pepper, he always had a six pack with him , I only saw Mickey drunk once, It was Mickey's 21 birthday , we went up to Hot Rod Rennuinion, their was 20 of us and Shag took us to Anisstoids to celebrate Mickey's birthday, Shag and Rogue set Mickey up with two hairy fat chicks,man those girls got Mickey shit faced, as well as the rest of us, Shag kept telling us "Dudes I live here " I later called Shag to thank him for putting up with us, he said he had to apoligize for us for a week, Long Live the Buffalows.

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I parked my roadster by you guys at Paso one year- Probably 2003 or 2004 on the lawn, and had a great time. I hope the tragedy of Mikey's passing will help bring the Lifters back together as a great club again...

9. dvz

dvz
    from San Diego

To my brothers in the Lifters cc-
    I am deeply saddened to hear of the loss of Mikey. In turn, however, my heart grows 2 sizes with the knowledge of what he brought to his friends, his Lifters brothers, and what they meant to him. Mikey is a hot rodder, and Mikey is a Lifter. I urge you not to think of him in the past tense, rather to celebrate the honor of knowing him and forever calling him your friend and brother. I will always remember the look on Mikey's face as Anna Marco wiggled around on my driveway shooting his truck for the magazine feature at the Road Devils BBQ .

The Lifters are Mikey's home and they are his extended family. I know he lives on in your hearts. Godspeed Mike Van Zetten.

[​IMG]
    Dale Van Zant
    Road Devils cc

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  10. Burn rubber Mikey.

11. hepcatmatt

hepcatmatt

You guys all hang in there It was a true honor to know Mikey and it is so sad that he has passed away and he will truly be missed by all of us.
    See you friday at the Big Three.

12. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Sounds like he has the best friends and family anyone could ask for! RIP

13. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

14. geemann51

geemann51

So elequently stated.

15. Badfella

Badfella

Bttt..............................

I just got word from Mikey's dad that a viewing has been scheduled for this Friday the 25th at El Cajon Mortuary. The viewing will be from 4PM to 7PM and followed by a gathering at his house. Anyone that wishes to come is more than welcome. Below is a link to the mortuary.

Also, anyone that wishes to make a donation to the family can send it to:

Rudi Van Zetten
    6161 El Cajon Blvd.
    B142
    San Diego, CA. 92115

http://elcajonmortuary.com/index.php

16. the other me

the other me

Sorry to hear of the loss of this young man. Cherrish the memories. RIP Mikey....GODSPEED

17. 1oldrat

1oldrat

18. Here's some pic's from the last time I saw him and talked to him...at the ACES Poker Run...
    [​IMG]

That's Diamond Dave,in the black Model A Sedan,Mikey,then JustinB in the black and red Pick-up.
    [​IMG]

That's Kaui,giving Mikey another playing card....
    [​IMG]

19. Badfella

Badfella

Thanks for the pics Bob!

20. Sure....I should have taken one of him leaning on the car,while we were talking. I told him how jealous I was,cause i've always wanted a 33 or 34 Ford.

21. roaddevil

roaddevil

condolences from myself and the Road Devils.

I'm sure that he will always be remembered.

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Sad indeed
    We only briefly spoke a few times over the weekend at fathers day……… seemed like a good dude.

23. JimSibley

JimSibley

Mikeys enthusiasm was ledgendary. I know a lot of sandiego car guys and they all had a kind word when mikeys name was broughtup. he will be missed. My condolences to all of the lifters.

24. Sorry for your loss. RIP

Mike

Rumblers C.C.

25. Sorry to hear about that guys.

26. Grezy Matt

Grezy Matt
    from Sweden

Sad events such as a loss of a family member always reminds me of how lucky we are and to live life to the max. You just never know what tomorrow will bring. I did not have the pleasure to know Mikey but my hat is off and my glass is raised to a fellow Hotrodder.

Grezy Matt

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  27. recks

recks
    from oceanside

Very very sad to hear. He was a very nice softspoken guy. Life can be very cruel at times...My thoughts are with his family and friends.

28. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I just heard. God Speed to Mikey and R.I.P.