Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody still cruise in Colorado

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Itchijohnson, Feb 11, 2009.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The Durango Over The Hill Gang is hosting Cruise Durango on June 20, July 18, August 15 and September 19. Starting at 6:00 PM at the City Market South parking lot. Fab Four awards plus a $100 at each event. After the awards, some people head south to Sonic and others go north to DQ. Here are some shots of the May 16th event.

Attached Files:

2. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

Used to cruise 16th street in the 70's..Had to watch out for Buster Schnieder....Then swing up to the Sctochman.. They even took a pic fo my Mustang and put it on the wall inside....

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

We have Cruise night at Culver's on Lake in the springs...
    I know it's not Denver....but it's a good group of guys...

4. Mikesrodshop

Mikesrodshop

I've been thinking of calling the owner of the Karz Drive-In in Lafayette to see if he would be interested in hosting a Wednesday night Cruise for local hot rodders. Karz used to be the Sonic and it's a great location for the North Denver crowd to meet up and not too far from any Northern Colorado location.

see map here: http://www.yelp.com/map/karz-drive-in-lafayette

Anybody interested in starting an informal Wednesday night tradition to see if it grows?

5. Wow a Grenade Inspector in Silverthorne!

Howdy-do from Dillon.

6. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Bob's Coffee Shop in Laporte is going to be starting up their summer Car and Bike Night events on Tuesday nights pretty soon. I attended a bunch last year on my motorcycle and they were fun, typically had live music each night. I'd like to get some more traditional car guys up there and we could of course organize our own cruise. Perhaps starting somewhere in Loveland up the back way to Masonville, around the lake to Bellvue and into Laporte.

7. fat tire

fat tire

I'm in! :D

8. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Nice! Thats about 2 miles from my house, got nothing to cruise right now but I'll have to check it out.

9. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

It was a smaller gathering spot on Tuesday nights last year, usually less than 10 cars, but I'd love to turn it into the spot to be for traditional cars in the area. The owners are super good folks and the shop is pretty central to a lot of good roads to go around -- Poudre Canyon, Rist Canyon, Centennial Drive (around Horsetooth Lake), etc. Occasionally there are good bands that play at the old Swing Station honky tonk just down the street.

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

I was thinking of mapping out the locations of cruise spots for a friday or saturday nights, and start out early enough to stop at each one for a short while. Kinda a round trip back to home base. In my case starting from Aurora heading north towards fort collins one weekend, and maybe the next weekend go towards Colorado springs, hitting all the known spots in between not stopping long or even just cruising through. Maybe even extending it to wyoming or towards pueblo for a weekend. More a real cruise than sitting in one spot.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  11. Sounds good DrDano, keep us updated, I'll be there if you don't mind a slightly ot 65 chevelle

Sent from my iPod touch using TJJ

12. Mikesrodshop

Mikesrodshop

Wednesday night cruise is going to happen tomorrow at the Karz Drive-In in Lafayette. Address is 50 Waneka Parkway, Lafayette, CO. Small group of car guys have committed to showing up. Any HAMB'ers up on the North Side want to join in? The weather should be great. 5:00 to 8:00 PM.

Map: http://www.yelp.com/map/karz-drive-in-lafayette

13. cbillelder

cbillelder

Hey Itchi-
    I don't know where you are in northern Colorado, but the A&W drive in on the north edge of Eaton has a cruise-in on the third Thursday of each month from April thru September. Been going for years. Check it out. If you will call Pat Shaw in Longmont (303-776-8659), he can get you a copy of the NSRA schedule for this area which lists lots of cruise-ins. Pat is the Northwest Division safety director for the NSRA. Good luck!!

14. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Roger the Sonic on 72nd and Federal closed last year,all boarded up. A bunch of us have breakfast every sat morning 7:30 at the Golden Corrall in Thornton, 100 th and Grant street.We get about 20 to 30 hot rods and customs. Everyone is welcome.They reserve a section for us so we can bs hot rod talk all we want.We have a bs session in the parking lot after breakfast also.Sounds like a lot of bs being past around,LOL. See ya there!

15. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Hey Tat-2 !!!!! I knew Officer Buster Schnieder. He dated my mother back in the 50's and she dumped him when she met my father! When I got pulled over down on 15 th street in 1977 and when he discovered my last name ---OOOHH SCCHHITTT---Every time our paths crossed he gave me the 3rd degree--He never wrote me traffic citations---- out of respect for my mother--but I stepped out of a bar one night kill-in off a beer---he knew my friends and I were in there!!!! He thru my ass in jail for open container!!!!I give him credit----- He was nice about it.

16. Ghost28

Ghost28

Buster was a piece of work, but without stories of him and the escapades of my youth it would not have been the same. I think we all needed him at least for another character in our lives. He once gave a friend a ticket for blowing his horn downtown.

17. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Any of you Colorado cruisers remember a 62 Ford Falcon with a straight axle and a big block Chevy? It was Chrome yellow when we got it and had a mild 454 with turbo 400 and 9" Ford rear with wheelie bars. Had some Bandimere time slips in the glove box in the high 10s and must have a really mean big block to run 10s at altitude. We bracket raced it for a few years and sold it to another racer who made a full on strip car out of it. Just wondering if anyone remembers it.

SOHC427 likes this.
  18. Spooky

Spooky

Cruisin' the Fax- wow...

We used to crawl out there in my '63 Comet 2-dr S-22 hardtop, Joe's '65 Galaxie and Jesse's '63 Falcon Futura.

Ride all of the way from Federal to just before Golden and then turn around and do it again. Stop by the Hamburger Stand. Go through Dunkin' Donuts and ride by Casa Bonita. Super Shops always had a pile of Camaro's and Nova's out in front. We would drop by Lakewood Ford and show off our Blue Oval stuff.

SOHC427 likes this.
  19. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Does anybody remember Bill Fleck's 55 chevy --

20. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Yeah nobody cruises north anymore, too many cops and wanntabe's.

21. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

There is a Cruize-in at FatSo's in Loveland (old A&W) the place gets full ea time. Everything from mild to wild (like the twin Fordson tractors with beefed up flatheads!) I often bring my 59 Skyliner or the Amphicar.

I grew up in Lonmont and miss the night life then. Once the city decided that it was far better to spend $millions on medians and anti-cruising laws (signs posted all along mains street "NO CRUISING") than to have the kids in town where they could keep an eye on them, it all went away. :( Stoopid!!

22. when?

Sent from my iPod touch using TJJ

23. 55glyde

55glyde
    from mile high

used to get paid on fri and then hit Super Shops on sat. i can't beleave they ever closed.

HEH... have you seen it lately... its the yarn barn (or something like that) such irony.

24. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

I used to go to school with a guy named Bill Fleck.. And I remember his 55 chevy.. Did you go to school with him as well???

25. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

Yeah he was a Piece of work alright.... I noticed you wnt to Aurora Vo Tech.. I did as well... What High School did you go to???

26. dartracer

dartracer

If I remember rite that would be Mike Harveys car. That car was bad ass, running deep in the 10s up here.

SOHC427 likes this.
  27. rom828

rom828

Also a parking lot hangout early Sat. evenings here east of Austin Bluffs and Academy in Colorado Springs, but yep, nothing like Nevada Ave. back in the day.

28. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

I remember Longmont having a pretty big cruising scene, but unfortunately it was killed off. We made it down the hill from Estes Park on occasion to hit a Friday or Saturday night cruise. Lots of great cars and good times.

29. Arominus

Arominus

The old grocery warehouse parking lot?

30. choptvan

choptvan

Yup. Just up austin bluffs a little bit. Off ot the east if my memory serves me right.