Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by young'n'poor, Sep 30, 2010.

1. BigSlick

BigSlick
    from Houston

Yeah, good idea!! Now he has your name, address, phone #, email, and now your bank account info!!! :rolleyes: Go ahead and give him you SS # too....

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Your return message should be

"Send me the money, I'll send you the motor" or "Bring me the money, and you can take the motor".

3. NO_SPRK

NO_SPRK

SCAM! if you do try to cash it dont cash it at your bank. it will bounce or worse yet it will clear then days/weeks later bounce back

4. joel torres

joel torres

don't try the bank transfer my wife works at the bank they get your account number to do a transfer if they did the homework theyhave other info on ya also soon they can false your i.d. and do other stuff like a helock, ect...
    and a fake certified bank check can pass at first but once its mail to the main bank and they try to transfer funds from the providing bank it gets regected then if you spent the money its up to you to replace it back to the bank and your out of luck if you shipped your stuff out

5. stavros7a

stavros7a
    from Ca

If you keep chatting back and forth with them they put you on a "list" of potentially easily scammed clients. Their only purpose in life is to find a way to separate you from your money/valuables/possessions. Google 419 scams and study it carefully because this won't be your only run in with this or another variation of this scam which is run by criminals/terrorist organizations/criminal gangs ... CASH only...

6. Crease

Crease

Ask him if the funds are coming from his rich poitician uncle that is being held captive in a third world country?

Definitely a scam!!!!!

7. Crease

Crease

This is perhaps the funniest thing I've read on the HAMB in years!!! I cant stop laughing!!! :)

Thanks bro!!

8. 55ledsled

55ledsled
    from Magnolia

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Its funny...I was just going to post about the 419eater.com website....check it out for hours of good clean fun.

To the few posters who think this looks legit..

I have one thing to say...it simply hasnt happened to you yet! I sold a waterpump core to a Canadian guy off a Camaro website..and he sent me a business check of his from CANADA...my bank held it for 10 days or something..it clears...I ship the pump...AND THREE MONTHS LATER the check comes back as being bogus. And that was Canada!!...imagine Nigeria or someplace "farther".

I guess the guys who say it looks legit havent seen the movie "Catch Me if You Can"...this crap is still happening but today really only possible from international cashiers checks. I also agree with Rusty New Yorker...Paypal is no better for international sales....they can claim they never got it, dispute it with their credit card...guess who will lose all of those arguments? YOU!

10. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Money talks, bullshit walks. Get the cash up front, or the engine sits!

11. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Hey, what's wrong with Nigeria? I see several remarks about it. Just because I am seeing firsthand what kind of thieving society it is. Unfortunately, they live down to the expectations here. I am working here now and it is a wonderful place. :p I don't buy or sell unless I can talk to the person usually anyway. Good thing you suspected and asked.

12. ragtop50

ragtop50
    from UK

13. 55ledsled, thanks. im goner play. lol.
    i see most are saying dont do the engine side of things which for sure is correct, but not enough have said not to send details either. dont ever send all personal details like that.
    my 6th sense always tells me when these thieving plonkers are about.
    ive been messin with a few of em for sometime and love stickin it to them.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Definetly nothing personal ;)

and from your post..I see you speak normal, or at least type that way.

yeah its a shame it has come to this..but i like face to face cash deals, maybe they dont come along as often as the electronic whom evers..but it gives you a chance to get to know who your dealing with.

are you a displaced American?:(

I got friends in Gulf Breeze couple of restorers of Model A's

15. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

The more I read about these scammers the happier I am I rarely sell things on the internet. These guys are such pests. I got a second email about the craigslist ad, different name but nearly identical wording haha!

16. prost34

prost34

SCAM,i had the same e mail,fake check,,,dont do it,,,

17. falfas55

falfas55

Scam!! Let this pass you by.the other guys on here are right,who the hell talks like that on here.

18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

If you have a buch of shit flathead parts that will never be able to be fixed, paint it, bolt it all together and have him pick it up, then frame the check for a LOL wall candy in your shop...I hate these scum bags

19. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Nobody will ever show up to pick up anything. All they want is any oersonal information they can get and any money they can get by playing games with checks for the wrong amount.

20. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat
    from Florida

It is a SCAM. Don't waste any more time on it.!

21. 55chevr

55chevr

Good stuff ... selling a boat on CL asking 8k ... buyer sends check for 11k ... just doesnt get any better then this ... I am going to have fun with this one ... I am not doing anything with the check ... going to ask them to send another check as I didnt get the first one ... if another one comes I will ask for a third ...

22. flynstone

flynstone

if you want to get rid of them, say united states post office money order or cash

23. RNess

RNess

It's a SCAM! Guy tried that on me for a car. I E-Mailed him and told him if he was serious to bring CASH and a trailer, never heard from him again!!!!

24. Scam.
    1. "poor" English
    2. exact wording of other scams on Craigslist
    3. send a mover?
    4. drop the ad ! I never had anyone tell me that unless it was paid in full.
    5. I am not surprised he didn't what to give you a larger amount then what you were asking and then you would have to give the difference back in cash.....LOL
    6. just delete it and sell it to someone that is real.....