Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Remember why I hate car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. druids62

druids62

AMEN 46Steel! Preach it brother!

PS I like the avatar

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I think you mean "doubt":p
    can you appreciate irony without getting bent out of shape?:D

Paul

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I call em the "check book boy's"

5. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Again, I appreciate the check book boys, and hope to meet many more in my future.

6. druids62

druids62

Paul Fripfink. I just had a vision of a dark silouette standing over a cast iron pot with a stirring oar.:) I'm glad I'm not the only one finding this disturbingly entertaining!:)

7. A snob is someone who can listen to The William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger.

8. hemi

hemi

Apparently guys who bitch about shows giving prizes to pro built cars instead of "real, owner built" cars just build crap and are envious... Homebuilder Jim Evans kicked ass last year in a 6-cylinder '49 Chevy (Without any blingy fluff or high dollar parts) and drove the wheels off of it. The year before he did the same thing with a '36 Ford coupe. Very hamb-friendly cars, both of them... These guys are out there, and just because the car is pro-nice doesn't always mean they were built by somebody else. ALL cars have a couple of people involved. Very few people can machine, sew, weld and paint with any level of quality. Jimmy Hervatin is an exception. :D

The so-called "Checkbook" guys may have a different station in life than you and might not have the "skills" or free time, but at least be glad they are into cars and not passionately lobbying against you...

9. Mr. Speed

Mr. Speed
    from USA

Built not Bought! Gotta love the Big money fellas.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, a little like covering your eyes at the gory parts in a slasher movie but not being able to resist peeking through your fingers.;)
    Paul

11. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

"57 Chevy with a 350, I said never made a 350 in 57, said I mean it has matching number body panels, so"

gee, if that numb nuts ever saw 'My Cousin Vinny" he would have known the answer.

BC

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just what I come to the HAMB every day for... a 5 year old bitch fest about nothing.

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

a little boy, maybe 7, got real excited when I pulled in behind their later firebird at the car wash friday. I let him see the engine, climb in, sit in the seat, touch everything, ask a million questions, open the doors 50 times to hear it close. his dad had once had an el camino, but nothing this old. he was thrilled.

That is why we do it. Pure thrill of the moment hot rod goodness. He didn't care if my rustoleum was flaking or if the chrome was faded.

14. I love the smell of philosophy in the morning!

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Reading this post makes me Remember whay I Hate MOST People.

16. Remember:

These critical, ignorant, dishonest folks not only vote, they guide our economy by purchasing indiscriminently and driving the market ever higher. Don't get frustrated or angry, just out think them and manipulate them to your benefit. It takes practice, but eventually you understand how P.T. Barnum became wealthy.

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

yet here we all are! Very strange:confused:.
    Paul

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Don't ask, don't tell. :)

I couldn't resist.

19. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

This thread needs to end already. It's almost as bad as those threads that address "Falfa" and "Milner" as if they were real people.:rolleyes:

20. This post is hilarious. Build it, buy it. Who cares. We all have an interest in cars. I build my own because I can't afford to buy them. If I could buy a few nice cars I would. I don't have to impress anyone. Would it make me less of a hot rodder to buy a car, I don't think so. My cars usually have nice paint because I like them that way and do my own body and paint. I find primer or flat paint a pain in the ass to maintain with the hard water we have. I had this discussion with a friend of mine. He said you couldn't be a real hot rodder unless you did everything yourself. I asked him when he started chroming his own parts and doing his own glass. He also doesn't do his own paint or upholstery. I told him that I guess according to his criteria he wasn't a real hot rodder and neither was I. Talk about guys knocking your rusted beater rods, what about you knocking their finished and detailed cars. Get over yourself. It is just a hobby. Try and enjoy it. Pat.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What some are missing here is the real problem. Not that some guys don't build their own cars, but that some guys belittle anyone's car. It's great that anyone can build a car themselves, and I personally wouldn't have it any other way, but not everyone has the talent or tools to do so. I've got no problem with a guy who buys a car or pays someone to do it for him.
    My real problem is with people who degrade other's work, regardless of whether they can do it or not. Even if you have the ability to build a GNRS winning hotrod, you don't have the right to openly speak badly of another man's work.
    Guys take pride in what they build, and most are fully aware of their car's short comings, so they don't need it beat on by some arrogant jerk who wants to build himself up by cutting someone else down.

22. I love that my two girls are impatient for Spring so we can ride in the Biscayne!

23. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

I call these guys "dentists with a check book" .Good-Guy shows are the worst in the SF bay area when it comes to these turds....
    lordy mercy!!!
    ud

24. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Not Strange at All.

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I feel your pain brother, but "quadriplegics with a check book" are the worst.
    Paul

26. boutlaw

boutlaw

ditto on the knucklehead "buyers" at the car shows that belittle cars that someone built in their own garage, with their own 2 hands.....happened again this past weekend at a cruise-in.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  27. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

You Sir are a super hero. Verry well put.
    The good news is the real people who love it WILL allways be into it the rest of them will fade away. F it man I can allways dig on somthing someone has put heart into. Its the Posers that chap my ass. Good news is they will be on to the next fad soon enough. Ya just cant buy cool.

28. very well put and i couldnt agree more

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You will almost never find me near my car. I'm too busy looking at all the other cars. When I do come back to my car, it's time to leave.........

30. dseale4888

dseale4888

As someone said earlier "I enter my car for the parking space" When I'm ready to go I just leave. My '55 is a driver and it will not be a show car. I have a limited budget to work with and I just enjoy driving it.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.