Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who else lives in China?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 402, Feb 18, 2011.

1. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Something with finances. He just got a new higher paying job.

In other words - I don't know. But he has an MBA.

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

hahahahahahahhahaahahah lol hahahah

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm not surprised, the amount of construction around Shanghai and Suzhou at that time was UNBELEIVABLE. Never seen so many new high rises in one place.

4. edweird

edweird

every thing american is made there.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anyone going to Shangai, I HIGHLY recommend making a side trip to Suzhou, really nice, lots of history, and the best food I have EVER eaten ANYWHERE. Great restaurants, lots of sea-food.

6. 402

Yeah, if anyone makes it over to the Suzhou area PM me and I'll show you around if I can. I'm in a Suzhou suburb.

7. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

Been there a couple of times, love the place. Been to Hong Kong and Shenzen dozens of times. China is a great place. I dont know about the car scene in Shanghai but in HK a lot of kids tuning on the compacts and lots and lots of exotics.

8. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Suzhou is famous among the chinese for the beautiful women there! The "garden city".

Re: illegal to own a car more than 8 - 10 yrs old; I've been over there and I don't think that's true. It sounds suspiciously like the licensing laws in Singapore. A license plate is good for 10 years, and costs the same as the car -- 100% tax!!! So when cars get to be 10 yrs old and the plate is expiring, guess how much it is to renew? THE SAME! 100% of original price. So most cars get shipped to Malaysia or other nearby countries with different laws, rather than renewing the plates. That's just how they want it in Singapore, no old pieces of crap, nothing but nice cars.

9. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Tell ya what needs to be done in order to really kick start things over there. Somebody needs to work with the government and put on an exhibition of "advanced automotive culture"...to show the people what is possible with the automobile.
    An example or two of each form of the Hot Rod art would be represented, and then for the big bang, we show them how we burn their fertilizer in a couple of old school Diggers.

10. 402

I forgot. GM had a pavillion at the 2010 Shanghai World Expo but I never made it to that one. The Expo was more packed than Disneyland.

11. plan9

plan9

Why would Chinese youth want American culture? They have thousands of years of their own to play with. As an example from something we can relate to, the tuner scene is Japanese and I'd say there are a lot more western youth into imports than American tin.... you can see Asian influences everywhere, like religion and philosophy, martial arts, food and pop culture.

Food for thought..... perhaps it is the American culture that is changing. ;)

12. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Dude, could you imagine how insanely bad ass the machinery would be if the Chinese youth put their cultural spin on the American Hot Rod?
    There are some things that transcend time, space and tradition. The whine of a blower, being plastered to a seat while an engine screams in front of you...and NITRO! We should make a serious effort to share the very best of what we have created, and then help them shape it into their own image. This could be the birth of an amazing chapter in the history of the Hot Rod if it's done correctly.

13. k9racer

k9racer

Earlier this week I got offered a job in Tiawan some times called the Rebublic of China. Its close to the mainland. I told them I would let them know by 01 mar 11..si chen..

14. LabRat

LabRat

Paging panhead pete ...

15. historynw

historynw

No old 30's Japanese cars over there many are Graham designs.

16. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I am going to shenzhen Beijing for two weeks next month,I have been wondering about the scene if you will over there. The only other time I have been anywhere was kaui hawaii a few years back. Iam gonna be so outta my element I dont even know a single chinese word. Good thing I have friends there cause I would be screwed!!!

17. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Ni hao, 402, funny you should post this today, I just got back here (Tianjin, well, TEDA, actually) yesterday afternoon. I don't live here but have been coming here a couple times a year for 10 years. I love it. Here lately I've seen some tuners and some hot crotch rockets running around TEDA. A couple years ago there was a guy running the shit out of a new Aston Martin DBS on the street in front of the hotel, crazy bastard. I love Shanghai. Great city.

18. redsdad

redsdad

Absolutely. My understanding is that the GM plant is closer to Shanghai than the Ford plant. They told me that is why you see more GM's than Fords. Go to the area of the Ford plant and you will see more Fords than GM's. It seemed like a lot of cabs were VW Santanas. I was told that VW was one of (if not "the") first outside car maker in China (modern times).

19. gsport

gsport

我不懂中文,從未到過中國,肯定不會說中文...笑

20. 402

哈哈哈

21. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

What province ? I was in PuDong in 2007.

Hot Rod has no translation into Chinese and in fact they think Tractors look like Hot Rods - Big and Little Wheels.:rolleyes:

Pardon this written in English - Gong Shie Fa Tie.:)

22. I was thinking the same thing, hes been working there for a while now, and has talked a little about it in his threads.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, and I can vouch for that! I was over there with an ex gf, kept getting the "elbow in the ribs"! :eek: Man, the women were HOT! All of them dressed to the nines too. If you go, make sure you do the boat ride on the canals too.

24. plan9

plan9

I didnt even last a year... although, when you grow up hearing it all the time you have a good idea of whats being said. My mom had a small list of explicative words she'd use when I got out of line.... it was followed up with a quick smack to the head with her hand or, a slipper. :D

gong shi fats tsai, to all my Mandarin speaking kin.

25. Chris 50

Chris 50

? I've looked all over this keyboard and can't find these keys anywhere... :D

26. What about ChengDu - anyone know what it's like? Found a job I've applied for there but have no idea what it would be like.

Steve

27. zgears

zgears

I saw this in Hue, Vietnam last month, the last ride of Thích Quảng Đức.
    [​IMG]

28. gsport

gsport

chinese keyboard..... :D

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If they have a 'seconds' counter at the Chinese mfg plant for Speedway, SoCal, et al, you could get some of the swell Chinese stuff for a real discount! lol

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Got them on mine! My secret? Girlfriend from Hong Kong!!! Hell, half the stuff in our house I can't read...