Register now to get rid of these ads!

VIN questions....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Abomb

Abomb

I have an OT vehicle for sale, is there a problem with giving out the VIN, I would assume that the potential buyer is wanting to do a carfax, or similar search...???

It's a later model VW, that I can't imagine anyone would want to clone or anything....the potential buyer has called in person, (local number) is a foreign student in a small college about 100 miles away, if that makes a difference.

2. 61TBird

61TBird

I wouldn't give them the VIN....
    I don't know how Kansas "brands" Titles(Salvage or "Clean"),it might be better for you to do the leg work and let "them" know it has a Clean/Clear Title.
    IF(big emphasis on that...) they are "interested",100 miles is not too far to drive to see it "in person".

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Chris:

I can't imagine what could be risky about giving out the VIN on the vehicle you described. It is likely they are seeking a loan and the bank has required the VIN to enter into their appraisal system. Or perhaps he hopes to run a Carfax report.

If he is local and you have good vibes, give it to him. If you think it will make you feel better, ask him why he wants the VIN.

Part of selling a late model vehicle is to cooperate with the folks that like all the info available. If you don't cooperate, you may lose the potential buyer.

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Hell in NY. state are reg. sticker in the window has it on it... I would'nt sweat it

5. Abomb

Abomb

Thanks, Bob, I was just about to PM you, when I noticed that you were reading my thread. He's a her, and a brand new foreign student in Hays KS, she called earlier, (Hays KS # )...I trust her, (as much as I trust anyone over the phone) and I'll bet she knows no one to trust....she did say that she wanted to do a carfax report, and I have nothing to hide, even though I don't think carfax covers everything.

Hell, I look at the carfax when I'm buying.

6. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

I've never heard of why it would be a problem. If somebody could do something bad with a VIN, all they would have to do would be walk thru a parking lot and write them down.
    I give them out when I'm selling a car, and I expect them to give me the VIN if I'm interested in buying one.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As you have the car and title in your possession I don't see a real issue with it. I would however email her the info on the car including the vin with the sheet of paper it was on marked in big letters "for purpose of carfax, loan appraisal or insurance purposes only. And keep a copy.

Can't blame her for wanting a carfax. There are a lot of shops out there that rebuild salvage vehicles that were either wrecked, storm damaged or flood damaged. Her lender if she has one might require it too.