Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nice day for a drive. In Michigan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 10, 2011.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Inspired by my buddy Matt, who drove "Regret" from Ionia to Detroit today (Matt, really, you don't think there'll be a warmer day between now and the end of the month to get the car to Cobo?), I fired up the wagon and drove to the Gilmore Museum. It was cold. Really, really, really cold, and the car was in a heated garage, has a heater, and it was only 2 1/2 miles. I must be getting old.

It was fun tho, the roads were dry, and the kids (I'm now a mentor for the education program) thought it was cool. I'd replaced the leaking power steering hose on it this morning, and since I had to get to the museum for the work day, thought it'd be fun to limber up the wagon. I need to get the defrosters hooked up if we do any more winter driving.

Attached Files:

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wait a second.....you actually DROVE a car in the weather? I'll be damned. When I had the Peter Beater I lived for these days. Drove fast, warm engine heating the steel firewall. Ducked behind the windshield. Grabbing gears.....I miss that car.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's not the first time that car's been out in the snow, but never when it was this cold!

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Well, how cold was it? It was -5 here this morning, you have to have us beat.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It was 2 here this morning, so the Windy City was colder! It was 15 at 2:30 when I drove over to the museum. Balmy.

6. But...it's a Woody. Don't you mean "...fun to lumber up the wagon"?

Looks like a great photo-op for next year's Christmas card! ;)

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

it was damn cold, not sure what the wind chill was today. I do not have heaters in either of my cars, no way would they come out in this weather! I did borrow a snowblower, and cleared a path from my driveway to the pole barn, so I can get my car out of the yard for Cobo. (not paved)

more power to you!

At least you didn't have a flat tire.....

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I love the Gilmore Museum but hate cold weather driving.

9. Crafty B

Crafty B

Hey Brain

sounds like a good thing you doing at Gilmore...I would like to get involved someday. I all most took the caddy out for a hot lap yesterday...but I didn't
    CB

10. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

It was -2* when I left Ionia for detroit at 10 am. It was 22* when I got back at 4 pm.

[​IMG]

The drive was fine, I had screwed the door windows in before I left and just cruised at 60-65mph as that was pushing 3500rpm

[​IMG]

By the time I was half way there my feet were really sore, I had on smart wool socks, but I wore sneakers because the pedals are so close together. All was going swimmingly until I got off the highway... I'm not sure if I hit a pot hole or if the tire had been slowly leaking down for the entire trip, but a mile or so from my friends house where I am storing the car before Cobo the front end just started bouncing like crazy and pulling to the right.

Luckily, this was not Detroit proper, rather Canton just off Ford road by the new Ikea. Traffic is crazy around there but two lanes were merging into one and there was somewhat of a shoulder. I had a flat on the passenger side.

I called a club brother and he called his brother who brought a jack and spare excellsior 5.50x16

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I limped into the compound with a 5.50 on one side and a 4.50-4.75 Firestone on the other. THose Excellsior's are loud!

If I do that again in a car with no heat, I'm investing in electric socks. The engine temp never hit 150 and there was no heat coming through the firewall.

See you in Detroit!

11. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Haha that's awesome Matt, suppose to be nice wed/thursday so the ride in to cobo should be good! Electric socks are the ticket, long underwear is nice too. The wagon has heat but not much of it. Plan on bundling up for the ride down Wednesday.

The wagon looks great Brian, but yeah it was COLD last week!

12. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Thats cool my Michigan bro..... Bet you got some strange looks goin down the road, hey how many thumbs did you get?

13. Deke

Deke

Brian, Nice story and the new building at Gilmore looks great.
    Do you have any info on the Education program? I have a 14 year old Nephew (At Gull Lake High School) that would LOVE to get in that program if possible.
    Thanks for any info!
    Dave

14. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

ITs gonna be 5o degrees on Friday