Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 Ford Deluxe 3W Coupe, Murray Body # informal registry,how many are still around?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Randy P, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

The 1932 Ford Book by David Rehor shows the total 1932 Ford Deluxe 3W Coupe production at 23,411. All 3W Coupe bodies were manufactured by either Murray Corporation of America in Detroit, or Canadian Top & Body Corporation, Ltd, in Tilbury, Ontario.

Along with some other body types that were manufactured or assembled outside of Ford, the 3W Coupes had a tag riveted to the RH side of the front floor crossbrace of 3W coupe bodies.

I'm curious how many original 3W Coupes and the tag #'s can be accounted for and how they correspond with the month of production according to the frame number.

I'll start things off with mine. I have no idea if my car is on the original frame, but my frame # shows to be an October production car and the Murray Corporation body tag number is 7538.

Even if your body tag is missing or illegible, chime in if you have a '32 3W body that was manufactured by Ford. Let's see how many we can account for. Pictures would be a bonus!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

3. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have one. I will get the number off my tag next time I am out in the shop. Its hard to read.

4. kisam

kisam

I'll be #4 but my tag is long gone.

[​IMG]

5. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

I have one, thanks LOW DOUG, no body tag.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Careful guys,.....
    [​IMG]

I have two,... they both have body tags,... but in this day trying to get "birth certificates" for these things,... I don't know if I would give the number up,.... IMHO

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. dudley32

dudley32

more...please...

8. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I've got two...both without the body tag. I always wondered how many Hambers have 3W's. Johnny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Actually there are four 3W's within about 5 miles of me. I'll try to get the boys to submit their information. It's amazing how many there are in Denver.

10. Here's Rody's beautiful deuce

[​IMG]

11. And this one hasn't been changed since the 70's

[​IMG]

12. mecutem

mecutem

heres a pic of mine, real solid body but no tag, be careful posting original numbers as some states such as michigan all you need to apply for a michigan title is a number.

Attached Files:

13. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

was the red one for sale a while back on here,looks cool,what are your plans for it?

14. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I have one...with a nice tag on it.

Attached Files:

15. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

No body tag.Was on original frame when I got it but tags are missing.Un -cut,un-filled.Trying for Columbus 2011.

16. tinmann

tinmann

I've had mine for a mere 29 years. No body tag though,

17. RDR

RDR

Got one and still has the Murray tag on floor

Attached Files:

18. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

You guys are nuts for posting your serial numbers online.

19. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Yeah...I knew about it locally first and then when I saw it on the hamb it kinda kicked my butt into buying it. It's an old hot rod that was "rat raced" on logging roads and also tore up drag strips around the Hoqiem Washington area. It's a neat old survivor that suffered a little damage to the cowl after a fly wheel exploded...which is pretty gnarley and is gonna stay. I plan to outfit it with a bunch of crusty parts I've been collecting for years. It originally had a rocket motor which will go back in. Johnny

20. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

there are atleast 5 in a 10 mile radius of out shop. my dad has one and the guy at the endd of our street has one.

21. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

I respect your opinion and hear you about being careful, but the body tag # issued by the body builder has nothing to do with the Ford issued serial numbers stamped on the frame and transmission that were used to title the vehicles. I would recommend that noone share their titled serial number on here, but that's not what this is about. That being said, who knows what unscrupulous people might do, so use your own judgement and share whatever you share at your own risk.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  22. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

These are not serial numbers and were not used to title vehicles. The number used to title them is stamped on the frame and the transmission. That being said, who knows what unscrupulous people might do, so use your own judgement and share whatever you share at your own risk.

23. Deuce-Merchant

Deuce-Merchant
    from BC Canada

Ive had mine for 25 yrs, no tag on mine either.

Kelly

24. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Bruce in Houston had this one a few years back. It was a Canadian car and he showed me the Canadian Top & Body Corp. tag on the floor, #239. He sold it and it's owned by Paul in Chicago now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have one ... and it has the tag ...

3WLarry and I compared the numbers and his 3W and mine were only about 25 numbers apart ... his being lower than mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who have never seen where the tag is located from Murray ... here is a photo :)
    and NO the tag is not for sale ...

[​IMG]

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

I understand this, However,.. if somebody comes up with a registration with the same number that is on your body tag,... and the number on your frame is different,... and clams it really belongs to them,...you may end up spending time in court trying to prove your case and educate a uninterested, unknowable and over burdened court system of the way Henry did it back in the day,.... And why your frame and body number don't match,...

Considering what happened in good ol' California to Boyd this is NOT out of the realm of possibilities,..... so to use your own words, "Use your own judgment and share whatever you share at your own risk"

Having a data base and finding out who has what 3/W in order of chronology, and what bodies might have come down the line next to each other is a very cool idea,..... but,... there are a lot of scum balls out there that would try to take advantage of the situation,..... And I for one, don't want to take that chance,.... Cool idea,.. but it just ain't worth the potential headache,....

I'm sorry this is coming off in a negative way,... and I might be over cautious,.... But I like to avoid any potential problems before they arise.

Again,.. this is just IMHO.

27. 53 effie

53 effie

Ok, I have one but it isn't where I can see if it has a tag. It was a stock car in an earlier life and much of the floor is gone. I've had it since the late 70s without any progress... Something to do with the 26 years of my life working for Uncle Sam's flying club.

Attached Files:

28. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

I see that mine and DenverDave's are B520A's, whereas Deuce Roadster's is B520B. Does anyone know what that's about?

I like that low number on Deuce Roadster's, one of the 1st 500!

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a gennie 3 window bodied car but by the time it got to me the tag was long gone!