Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Switched wheels on the Roadster New Look!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadsterpilot, Feb 11, 2011.

1. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Well I switched the wheels on the roadster, after contemplating over several styles I thought I would do something different then I had in the past. I wanted to change them because everywhere I went last summer there was at least one black roadster with black wheels, I felt like I had cloned a car. So I opted for the wires, in a beige(the tops beige also), well the beige isnt as dark as I would like but its growing on me............check it out and see for yourself.

Theres a before and after with both wheels, and yes I know bias plys would look better BUT as long as Im driving I will take the radials.

Attached Files:

2. shainerman

shainerman

I think it looks great. Ive always dug the look of your car, but last time I saw it, I told a buddy I was with I'd love to see it on wires, haha. Thank you.

3. Although both look nice, I like the agressive stance of the steelies and bigger tires better myself. JAO

4. F&J

F&J

I remember that car from another thread, and the reason I actually remember it was, that I liked it a lot :cool:

I also really like the 40s hotrod picture thread and the 50s hotrod thread, so for me, I like the old wheels. It just seems like color coordinated wheels/top is maybe too street rod for me, especially with big differences in F/R tire sizes.

no big deal though, 20 nuts to make another change...maybe... someday... :)

5. hasty

hasty

Yes, I'm with the guys above. Nice car, better with the old wheels. The beige does not do it for me. Nice blister.

6. F&J

F&J

Not that anyone asked but i also really like the door art on that car. So very few cars have subtle colors on door art and screaming colors blind out the rest of the car.

That art is as perfect as it can get;)

7. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

I will be honest, I have really kicked my self in the ass for not powder coating them black, Im not really sold on the beige my self, but the black is really a pain to clean on wires....

Thanks for the comments on the door art, Blain-O done that for me while the car was stored at a friends, and I really liked the colors he picked.

8. I like the wires but I think it would jive better if you painted them the color of your numbers on the doors. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

9. I really like the wires...but since I've had at least 2 roadsters with wires, maybe I'm prejueiced!

10. Clark

Clark

I'm with curbspeed...sorta. I think it would look great if the outlining on your numbers was the same color as the wheels. I'm guessing the center of the numbers is the color of the interior.
    Clark

11. I like the Beige spokes. You did well . Nice car !

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I like it MUCH better with the wire wheels - even in the beige color . Nice ride !

13. 1930roadster

1930roadster

14. A Boner

A Boner

Looks good both ways!

What size and brand are the radials?................I agree, if you drive a lot, radials are the way to go. Until I hear lots of guys bragging about some new ROUND bias ply tires, i'll stick to radials.......that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

15. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Looks good, amazing how a set of wheels changes a car...I wish I would have kept the 35 Ford wires I had.. I've been thinking about a new (old) look on mine.

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

I like it....I'll post up pics of mine in a few weeks. Maybe we should start of HAMB community wheel and tire exchange to change up once a season!

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

How about a pinstripe to go with the doors . Here's some that I did for Wheelsmith.

Attached Files:

18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Very attractive car. I am of the opinion that a lighter color beige (early Ford "Light Beige") on steelies with beauty rims and caps with maybe a maroon stripe about 3/4 inch from the cap......

Truly, you have a very nice car. I just prefer steelies over wires, black or beige or red or.....

19. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

You couldn't go wrong either way. Nice looking ride.

20. You definatly don't have a clone car. I like the black steelies.:cool::cool::cool:

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno, how about some centerlines and 44inch muddies??

22. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

I used 145/15 on the front Nankang CX-668 and 235/85/16 BFG Commercial, the tread patterns almost identical, when you order the Nankang be specific about the CX-668. I like the looks of the bias tires but I drive this car 3-4000 miles every summer, Ive experienced tire slip with bias plys at higway speed and it ain't no fun!

Im looking forward to the pics, I followed your thread also, and look forward to seeing the change. Im with ya on the HAMB wheel swap, Ive changed mine a couple times since I finished this car, and have a growing collection of accesories!

Thats what I was considering, adding the beige and the reddish brown in 2 stripes around the wheel, its hard to find a striper that will pull stripes on wheels, I think bugler makes a fixture that you can set up against a wheel and add stripes. These are also wheelsmith wheels, I was very happy with the quality of the wheels and the balanced great.

23. That black steel wheels look better. It makes the car tougher...more like a hot rod should be. I see your point about it possibly looking like a clone, but who cares. Rolll with what you like better. That's all that matters. BTW, the door art looks badass!

24. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Thanks Gary, thats a compliment, considering you have one the best looking roadster pickups Ive seen. The "ol painter" in Ottawa told me about your roadster long before I saw it and he was right its a homerun. My problem last summer was we went several places and almost always there was at least one other black car, black wheel beige top car, so I set out to change it up a little, I like to be a little different without having the circus wagon affect. Im beginning to think gloss black on black is the new flat black with red wheels, maybe the next one will have to be chartreuse!!!!!!!!!

25. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2 at least--

26. 39Dodge

39Dodge

Beige works for me. Which wire wheel did you purchase? I'm thinking of doing the same on my 34 coupe only going with a cream next to the Washington Blue.

27. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

They are wheelsmith wires, I would highly recommend them, they balanced great and the finish is perfect. Thanks RP

28. studedudeus

studedudeus

That's a beautiful thing about open wheel cars; You can have a whole different car, just by changing wheels and tires.

Knew a guy who had a stack of different wheels and tires in his garage so he could change every year or so. Whires one year, dragster the next, dirt car the next.

Love that wheel exchange idea.

29. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

I like the beige.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 Especially in the beige color. It even brings out the colors in the door art a lot better than the black wheels seem to do.