Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering column swaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by red baron, Feb 11, 2011.

1. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I am going to be removing the steering column on my 54 Ford Customline and installing a newer column from a 62. I believe that I will have to install a rag joint or something in order to mate up the column to the gear box

I checked the tech archives but only saw something like this on a model a. Is there anyone here that has done something similar to this?

Basically looking for tips, tricks, pics, diagrams or tech to get this done.

I will post up pics of everything as soon as the column shows up from shipping it out from Kansas.

2. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I figure you settled on a 62 unit for a reason other than the steering wheel.

I went with a 77 Olds column in my 55 Olds which fit right in the stock dash mount. Easy hook up to the 74 Poncho steering box with rag joint. Measure twice, cut and splice (once!) Doesn't matter which make you are working with, just keep joints and angles to a minimum......

3. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

After you get your old one out, lay them side by side. It will be easier to see what you will need to do or what to change..

4. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Yea I picked the 62 column from the T-bird as I am going to swap in the complete dash and steering column so I can have the sway-away steering that they have.

Going for that early 60's look with my car, and I just love the way these look in customs. I just purchased all the parts and am waiting for them to show up right, and was just trying to get some ideas for how other people might have done similar swaps.