Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Bitchin...

[​IMG]

Made some gaskets.

[​IMG]

Front turn signal gaskets are plumbing washers. Easier than trying to cut out a perfect circle.

[​IMG]

Installed front turn signals. It's coming together one little piece at a time.

[​IMG]

2. Those are stock Kaiser turn lens right?

3. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

It took a bit of prep to install the trunk. I built some supports that attach under the trunk hinges to eliminate any flexing of the rear deck. I don't want the deck to flex every time the trunk is opened and closed and end up cracking bodywork.

I also masked off the inside part of the trunk and sprayed it with Duplicolor truck bed liner. This stuff is great for things like this.

The other thing I did was clean up the trunk support as seen on the left side. It had most of its original zinc plating intact, so I scuffed it with Scotchbrite and then took apart the pivot points and rebuilt them with bronze bushings and stainless hardware. I also painted the brackets black.

[​IMG]

Trunk hinges with gaskets.

[​IMG]

Trunk and taillights. I need to get more weatherstripping for the trunk. Attempt one failed because the weather stripping was too tall and the trunk wouldn't safely close.

[​IMG]

Door weatherstripping. This also took two attempts so get the door to close.

[​IMG]

Got a box of balljoints and steering parts to install. I need to get the car in the air and blow the front suspension apart for powdercoat. Then I will reassemble with all new parts.

[​IMG]

4. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Yes, stock for 1951. That's original glass too. It has some pitting but it still looks good.

5. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

That is the best custom I have seen on here - it is gorgeous and I love it - subscribed to this thread!

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

7. I like the look of them. Im thinking of trying to find a set for a custom front treatment that I am planning on a Cadillac.

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Call Kaiser Larry he has them. (602) 373-1456. They would be good for customizing because they are flat and perfectly round, so no funky shapes to work around.

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Finished up the trunk. I got two plates from the DMV and saved one, so I found it and cleaned up the edges to there weren't any nasty corners from when the convicts stamped them out. Do they still do that?

I used a small spacer to float the plate off the trunk so it doesn't touch the paint.

[​IMG]

Next I made a gasket for the trunk handle. I used double-stick tape and stuck it to 1/4" MDF so I could sand the long sweeping top edge smooth. I couldn't get that ege nice enough with just a pair of scissors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got the weatherstripping installed and started cleaning up the tail light wiring harness. Once the weatherstripping compresses I will do a final fit on the trunk to get the gaps nice and even.

[​IMG]

10. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Just keeps getting better and better...can't wait to see this baby cruisin'

11. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Gawd I love this car!!!

12. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

You and me both Bortha!

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man I'm with you Coby!! Wowza!!!

14. Trencher

Trencher

as the plates say...this will definitely be a "Historic Vehicle"..it's turning out VERY nice!!!

15. I got to meet Mr. Winfield at GNRS, and I can't tell you how honored I was to shake his hand. His talent (and your talent especially) really show in this car. I am sure I have said it before Keith, but this is my favorite Kaiser ever.

16. Square

Square
    from Canada

[​IMG]

Dude is it ever starting to come along! It just oozes style!

17. daddio211

daddio211

Why did I think I'd see this car at the GNRS? Was there a post a few months back about a certain "invite" or am I imagining things?

18. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

There was talk of it but it didn't happen. They were looking for older customs that were more historic for the GNRS, and it would have been a hell of a thrash to get it ready too.

19. It will be worth taking the time to finish it right.

But as far as GNRS, this would have fit in as good, or better.

20. Yeah, Things get messed up when you rush. There will always be more car shows.

21. Newby_j

Newby_j
    from Indiana

I just read all 37 pages......all I can say is awesome!!!!!

I am super jealous that you got to work with Gene. I met him at a show and talked to him on the phone a few times to order parts. He was super nice and helpful.

22. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I can't believe this thread is 37 pages. I know I'm posting every little thing, but people keep saying they want pics, so I post them.

Gene is an awesome mentor, and the feeling of working in that shop is something that will always stick with me. I considered the cost of paint to be my tuition to the school of Winfield.

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

NTAPHSE,

Have you made a decision on what hubcaps you are going to run yet?

Its been awesome to watch this car go together

24. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I put the Kaiser caps on and hated them. I like the dish of the steel wheel, so I think I'm going to look for some chrome steelies or have mine chromed. I'm still open to suggestions.

25. glassguy

glassguy

maybe james d could photo shop some chrome reverse on it. just too see. i think thats the way to go.. i think i already mentioned i think the car is a lil to wild to have hubcaps, or painted wheels.. cant wait to see a good profile pic of this sumbitch!

26. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

To my eye with that incredible paint, chrome reverse with some bullet centers would fit the bill perfectly. Can't overstate what a beauty this car is! Kudos man...

27. Russian

Russian

First of all i want to tell how cool this car is
    and second thing is some photoshop i did, sorry don't know from what year or model this hub caps are

Attached Files:

28. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I like the chromed steelies and the full smoothie caps the best.

FYI, in order to properly chrome plate the factory steelies, the centers will need to be removed from the rims, both plated seperately, then welded back together. I could plate them once disassembled, but I'm not set up to put them back together.

29. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Chorme steelies would look right at home on it. Are they stock Kaiser wheels?

30. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

They are actually the steel wheels off my old 94 caprice. The cop car donor had similar wheels but with holes to cool the brakes. I really dig the shape of the Caprice wheels, they are really smooth.

If I blow the wheels apart like Josh said maybe I'll paint the outer hoops and chrome the centers or vice versa. Could be tricky to weld them back together without burning the paint and chrome though. I'm sure there is a trick to it.

I would also want to smooth out any manufacturing marks because there are some lines and numbers on them, and weld up the valve stem holes and move them to the inside. Sure would be fun to check the tire pressure but it would be worth it to leave guys scratching their heads at the car shows.