Register now to get rid of these ads!

touching up redline tires???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans' Rod & Cycle, Feb 9, 2011.

1. I did lots of searching and found info on whitewall and lettering, but most concern white or black to cover the sanded sidewalls. on redline bias plys, a couple of them are a bit faded and I want to freshen them up. I have read about leather dye and Rustoleum paint pens to tire pens at truck stops....anybody have experience with color touchup???
    thanks, Hans

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  3. Deuces

Deuces

If ya need new redline tires, check out Coker tire... They even have them for my o/t '05 Ford convertible in sizes 17 x 8's.. :D

Attached Files:

4. these are new correct repros from a few years back, just some fading I want to touch up-I want to try them on some chrome steelies on my '54 chopped truck and see how they look---thanks

5. TV

TV

Back afew years ago, my GS 400 had red lines. I kept them bright by using a red felt tip marker. It worked good but needed touch up after a while. Give it a try and see what you think.---TV

6. Squablow

Squablow

I dyed a set of white stripe tires to red for my '65 300-L with SEM vinyl dye, they looked great but don't know how they held up over time, sold the car soon after.

Those Dupli-color sticks are interesting, I might have to get a couple red ones and try making up some redlines out of regular stripe whitewalls. I never knew those were around, that's a good tip.

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

Forgive me for not remembering an insignificant detail from the 60's, but I seem to recall that I bought a small jar of actual red tire paint from Pep Boys to create my own red line tires. I had a '62 Studebaker Lark convertible, black with a black top & red & white interior. The cheap-ass tires I had at the time had very convenient indented grooves, about 3/8" wide, right about in the center of the sidewalls. So, red line tires were just coming into popularity & I got the bright idea to paint my own red lines. I painted the grooves with little brush that came with the paint & it turned out great. It never peeled off & on the occasion that I rubbed the curb, the groove protected the paint job. With all of the modern paint improvements, there has to be a flexible paint out there that would be O.K. for rubber. How about the paint that is used for the new flexible vinyl bumpers, etc.? Matching might be a challenge, however.

8. Squablow

Squablow

I've heard people talk about using rubber ink to make white walls (think lettering on an inflatable boat, that type of thing) but seems like you have to order it through some commercial supplier, not the type of thing you can get in a nice, smallish quantity it seems.

9. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

Try All Tire Supply.Ask for Debbie,she is very helpful.I just got some from them and it seems to be working great.

10. 55vicky

55vicky

the picture on the left is not a coker tire is made by dimond back.

11. I had a friend back in the late 60's who owned a red '64 Corvette with triple red lines. I think they were made by General, not sure, that was a long time ago. He washed the car so often, scrubbing the tires clean as well. When they faded, he would use a bottle of red India ink poured onto a clean rag to touch them up. Worked great. Not sure where you can get red ink now, maybe a stationery store or craft shop. Good luck....Don.

12. slepe67

slepe67

I know the motocross bubbas use paint pens to color in their tires. Not sure if they have red...but...just passing it along. JL