Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ME.Gasser

What a neat car. One of the things that stands out is all the trim next to the head lights and on the hood louvers. It is rare to see it all there. I would guess that he has the hood ornament and wipers too! Having been into these cars for a long time one of the things I heard was that the factory didn't have the trim available when the '37's rolled off the line and it was told to me that they sent the trim to dealers later , to be installed. As the story goes, many cars got sold and the owners never got back to get the stuff put on. I do know that the majority of the '37's I found over the years, had the holes there, buy no stainless spears...(and no rust stains to show they were ever there...from the clips). Have found a few with them, but very few!
    By the way the (hood & fender) trim only came on '37's. Love the color.
    Mutual friend D. Davis was kind enough to scan the few pictures I had of my original gasser from the 60's, and got them to me electronically...I'll try and get them on the site soon.
    G-willys

2. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

You must be talking about this coupe, nope its not me. I have not raced since 2005, been working on a basket case Willys for 6 years now and sold all my others as my wife and I are raising my grandaughter. I raced Thompson the first 4 years with a couple different cars, last one was the Zakia 55 Chevy.
    Dave.

Attached Files:

3. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I told my husband that i wouldn't have a problem at all using this for my everyday driver. How cool would that be. I e-mailed the seller and he said that he's had it for a year and a half. I could really have fun with that.

4. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

Dave;You got the right car,I remember when you had the 55 at thompson which by the way is my favorite 55 I am doing a 55 now which I hope to pattern after Zakias I have owned it since 72 and was my first car.hope to run into you some place,Dave

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you just leave it alone!

I suppose we could ride around together, but you would have to come to the Midwest.

should be interesting to see the auction end.

6. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bobwop,
    If you bought that i would fly out there to ride with you.:D

7. Weasel

Weasel

Looks like the '37 that Ara Bedrosian had a few years back. Last I heard it was in a Willys collection in RI and the photos look like RI too - is this deal for real??? This is a very early '37 - bulbous headlights, thin trim ring and headlight pod strakes....

8. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

car Is real I already got ahold of the guy and have establihed the price.dont think I will buy It though.

9. sean72

sean72

Hi G-willys, thanks for the help. I have tried searching for books, magazines, literature and websites for old Willys info on these years. There just doesn't seem to be too much out there for the stockers. I would like to find out the subtle changes between the years, grills, bumpers, tail lights, dashes, hubcaps, and even interior seat patterns.

Any help from anyone else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sean

10. They make great cover shots as well! :)

[​IMG]

11. Very beautiful '40! :)

[​IMG]

12. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Randy has done work for us over the years and it's always top notch. If we decide to keep the latest willys that we aquired he will be doing more.
    Gasser Girl

13. Weasel

Weasel

14. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Great old photo

Attached Files:

15. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Cool old sedan

Attached Files:

16. A real"odd duck", but an interesting concept...a '40 Willys dualie COE, made out of a sedan. There was an auto shop class at a high school that did one with a very authentic effect years back in Street Rodder's early iron section.
    G-willys

Attached Files:

17. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Another great speed shot

Attached Files:

18. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Cool vintage photo

Attached Files:

19. chevellelovermichael

chevellelovermichael
    from nampa,id

here is a couple, not to good of picture.

Attached Files:

20. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

1940 Willys

Attached Files:

21. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

22. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Wow...what a bitchin' thread. First long thread on the HAMB worth checking out every post, that I have seen in a long time. Thanks for all who posted pics. Amazing.

DuckusCrapus

23. G-willys
    Dave, I can't keep up with all your great pictures, but I'll try!
    Here are two sedans...the forty is a great example of the deluxe trim. Note the 3 spears on the hood, and the front bumper with the slits on either side...the hole in the center is for the hand crank. I have a 40 standard bumper, and they are identical, without the slits, and the 40 standard hood had only the belt line stainless. Inside, the 40 standard had a floor shift. The '40 deluxe was the 1st year of the column shift for the Willys...the flying W (hood ornament)was on all 40 models, and the block style WILLY emblem was on the hood side only in 1940. Note the turn signal bulbs at the bottom of the headlite lenses...those are a copy of what was on the '41 (called a parking lite)...'40's had the parking lite bulb in the original reflector. Because the 40-41 buckets are the same, parts are inter-changable . This info is for those new to Willys...Dave, Weasel and the rest know this!
    The photo of the 41 shows a unique way of getting more air into the radiator, as the air flow was never great on these cars (41 noses were better than the other years)...must have been tricky to make all those slits. The yellow car could actually be a factory 2-door , which was only a limited 38, or '39 option...with a '41 nose on it. It is an earlier sedan body than an actual '41 body! The headlight rings are not Willys on the '41!

Attached Files:

• 208.jpg
      208.jpg
      File size:
      125.5 KB
      Views:
    • 210.jpg
      210.jpg
      File size:
      114.1 KB
      Views:
  24. Weasel

Weasel

Interestingly enough there are original factory photos which show the '40 front de luxe bumper (with the hole and two slots) on a standard and the standard bumper on the de luxe. My '40 woodie wagon is a de luxe (has the de luxe dash emblem as well ast the hood whiskers) but has the original standard bumper. i have a coupe which is also a de luxe with the standard bumper. The de luxe bumper is very fragile - breaks easily, but looks so good. The '39 Overland front bumper has three recessed strakes either side of the center peak and is unique to that model only. 194142 body trim is peaked and wider than the 440. the '42 passenger car bumpers are rounded, but the pickup truck retains the peaked flat blade type of the '41. The 41 passenger car rear bumper has an 'Americar' script top center of the rear bumper while the 41 and '42 truck have a 'Willys script' The '42 has a grille center divider bar as well.

Here's a '42 truck I got to drive a few years ago - note the 10k original mile '33 coupe on the right of the top photo!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Weasel:
    Did you get to drive anymore of his? The two early coupes, the early sedan? How far along was he on the early truck?
    G-willys

26. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All i can say is sweeeeeettt:D

27. Here's mine - needs a few parts still ;):D

Steve

Attached Files:

28. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Vintage 1940 Wagon