Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where do I get my wide 5 drums turned?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper daddy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

I have wide 5 drums that I'd like turned/ prepped. Got any suggestions as to where to take them? I'm in Kansas City, so any KC area leads are especially appreciated. Obviously I only have one shot at these, so I want them done by someone who will treat them with care and knows old brakes.

Also, a related question - The 2 upper adjusting cams on my mid 40's backing plates are broken. I saw a tech where someone used a set-screw to re-assemble them, as the originals are rivets I think. Anyway, do I really need them? I realize they were there for a reason, but it's going to be a chore to rebuild them.

Thanks

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

If the hubs are in them, you should be able to get them done anywhere I think?

3. You have to find someone with one of the early drum machines that except the tappered shaft.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

And you must have the upper adjusters !! Brakes won't work worth a s^^t without them.

5. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

That sounds right, older machine with tapered shaft. Seems like I took a set of old drums to O'Reilly and they couldn't do anything with them.

6. F&J

F&J

I'd be more concerned about the shaft size on a drum lathe. The lathes have tooling to seat on those, but I am not sure if the Ford rear drum bore ID is too small for an Aamco machine?

I can check tomorrow. I have the drums and an Aamco,

7. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

The front drums I have I had turned by one of my friends that owns his own mechanic shop. The rear drums may be a bit harder as mentioned above since the hole of the tappered hub is so small. It may be a good idea to investigate and find someone you know wont ruin them cause I dont think the drums have any specs on the minimum the can be turned. Be sure to tell them you just want a slight cleanup. Im not a genius but hope this helps.

8. I had mine turned at the NAPA on Shawnee in KCK. Mine are wide fives as well. You might phone first though, a lot has changed over the last couple of years.

9. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

Thanks Cactus1 ! I'll give them a call.

10. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

I'm just doing the fronts. Rear is from a Granada, but I used adapter plates for the wide 5 wheels in the back.