Register now to get rid of these ads!

Video: Kirkham University Making A Billet Aluminum 427 FE Engine Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Kirkham, Feb 6, 2011.

1. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Amazing work on a very ambitious project!!!

Thanks for sharing.

I too have been wondering, for a while, if curosity has fallen asleep in the US.

Sadly, some are trying to pass legislation that would stiffle this wonderful creativity.

Looking forward too more progress reports.

Thank You and Good Luck obtaining a 5 axis machine.

2. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Thanks for the kind words. People have asked a lot of questions on the mains design so I just made a video of the girdle we are about to make. It is uploading right now.

David
    :):):)

3. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Here is a video of us doing the final design tweaks and the final CNC programming of the block girdle. We got the idea of a mains girdle from looking at an F1 block. Also, and critically, we were able to cut the size of the billet down to keep the hardness in the center of the block as high as possible.

David

4. Thanks, that was fun to watch.

5. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Glad you liked it. Let me know if there is anything else you guys want to see :)

David

6. Umm, some of that fine machinework being done on our lakester!;)

7. Master of None

Master of None

Nice work, makes my stuff look like I'm drawing with crayons!

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

"Of course the real machine is not this fast"....

Can you imagine what the technology will be like in a few years?
    Not just CNC machines, but a whole spectrum of CAM machines...
    Imagine digitizing an entire car. One machine spits out block, heads, pistons. Another makes sheetmetal fenders, doors, body panels. Another makes this part and that part...
    Eventually you end up with the ultimate full sized model in a box :D

Wow, what a thought... Dont bother going to Ford to buy a car. Instead you buy the software from them, and a manufacturing shop makes the components, then an assembly shop puts it all together for you.

Best part of it is that, weather you want a Ferrari, a '57 chevy, or a 50 mpg econobox, the cost of the car is based on raw materials, so they would all cost about the same :D

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, except that doesn't work for large scale production. 85% wasted material is ok for very limited work, but wont fly on any real scale. Also, it doesn't take 30hours to cast a block once the mould is done, more like 20 min. tops probably. Maybe 30 hours to make the mould like this and then 20 mins. a pop to knock them out as castings.

Still very impressive work for what it is.

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

20 years ago, if you had told someone [think high end INDY style racing team] that this technology was on the horizon, they would have laughed at you.

As for the 85% waste, dont think for a minute that the waste doesn't get recycled.

Also, as technology marches on, a solution to that problem may be comming.

Just day-dreaming.

11. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

David,

Exceptional job recreating (and improving) a part that is near and dear to every Ford fanatics heart.
    How will your Cobra customers react to no cross bolts on the mains and no side oiler galleys ?
    I'm sure your modern set up is better but those cross bolts were the trade mark of the 427.

Pete

12. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Well Dave ... I'm impressed ... to say the least.

PACO

13. Barry_R

Barry_R

I applaud the idea of sharing your knowledge and experience.

I try my best to follow a similar path (ask my wife - she'll gladly tell you that I have lots of experience with broken parts and apparently very little knowledge since I keep doing this stuff anyways...).

So many people in this business keep all of the information they've accrued to themselves as if it were a trade secret or competitive advantage. On occassion a competitor will accuse me of "giving things away". The proper response is that I can tell you everything I have learned and done so far - but not what I will learn tomorrow. Competitive advantages are found by looking through the windshield - not behind us in the mirror...

The more folks we can get actively excited, interested and involved in this hobby - the better off we will all be.

14. Dan859

Dan859

Hi Dave,
    I know you said you weren't interested in a Boss 429, and there's already others doing those. What about a DOHC Indy engine? As I understand it, they were were based on the SBF, with the heads able to be mounted on either side so the intake/exhaust could be up or down depending on application. What I'm imagining is a 302 block, DOHC heads, possibly using current OEM parts for cost savings, the abilty to put a 331 or 347 stroker kit in them, and EFI. Given that the Indy engine dates from 64, it would even be HAMB-friendly.
    Dan

15. fonti

fonti

wow...impressive!
    thanks for this lesson

16. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Well i think i migt have to stop by the open house....

17. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Your comment made me want to make another video. We all start out with crayons :D Nothing wrong with that.

David

18. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

I dream about new technology all the time. That is what keeps me awake at night--figuring out how to make things faster, cheaper, and better.

There is quite a bit going on in the rapid manufacturing world. 3D printing is amazing.

David

19. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Yes, mass production has its own concerns and processes. That said, sometimes I don't think we realize everything that goes into the cost of getting a part to a customer. (Notice I didn't say making a part for a customer. Customers don't care how the part is made as much as they care about the cost and if it does what they need it to do).

Here is the (somewhat abbreviated process).

A customer orders a part
    Order goes to the shop floor.
    Shop guys look to see if material is on hand.
    Shop guys look to see if a machine is available.
    Shop guys tell someone to order material.
    Shop guys schedule machine.
    Material is ordered.
    Material arrives and has to be unloaded
    Material has to be stored somewhere.
    Material has to be moved from storage into a machine.
    Machine has to be set up with tools.
    Machine has to be set up with fixtures, jigs, etc.
    Part is made.
    Part has to be checked (think, casting--porosity, core shift, etc).
    Part is packaged.
    Part is shipped.

This may sound like I am getting picky here, but ALL these things have to happen. Now, if you use a sub-contractor to make a casting for you, then many more steps have to be added into the process. All these processes take time. Time=money...and lots of it.

Design a casting.
    Make a mold, form, pattern.
    Wait for the other company to make it.

Then, the worst part of all happens. What do you do if you want to change the design? All that engineering and cost of the pattern (not to mention the 100 obsolete cast blocks you have stacked up in the back room) sits there and looks at you like you were dumb.

Some times (not always) it is easier to just make something out of billet.

David

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  20. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Yes, we do recycle the mountain of aluminum chips. Technology does march on--that is what dreams are made of.

David

21. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Thanks for the kind note.

There are people who already want the block so we think it will go. We just need to test it and prove it works before we release it. I don't think people are so stuck on the cross bolts any more. (We made a billet aluminum chassis and people were happy with that).

David

22. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Thanks!

David

23. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Barry,

We all break parts. I know I have broken my fair share--maybe more. The cool thing around here is when guys break stuff (including machines) they go make a new part and fix what they broke. No one gets too excited around here over broken parts. Tuition.

I have always been amazed at how freely our customers, vendors, and competitors gave away advice, tips, "secrets," and even parts. We have a great Hot Rod community here in the US.

I particularly like your comment, "Competitive advantages are found by looking through the windshield - not behind us in the mirror..."

So very true.

Let's all look forward :)

David

24. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

It's not that we aren't interested, it is that there is only so much time in the day and we have run out of hours. We can do anything in life...we just can't do everything. If this block takes off, we will certainly look into making more. The Indy DOHC is pretty cool.

David

25. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

Thanks! I look forward to posting more videos.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

David

26. Finally had a few minutes to watch the video --- impressive.

Just for jokes how about machining a "352" in the front bulkhead and a "66-427" into the back???

I've had a few early 221 SBF's and the exposed cylinder wall shape in the outside reminds me of those.

Thanks for the education on CNC.

Movin/on

27. hasty

hasty

Not exactly an "Average Joe". Yours is one of the most beautifully built cars on here.

28. sawzall

sawzall

Kirkham Univeristy is working.. this post is very timely as I am beginning to teach one my classes about CNC and will be using YOUR video monday morning.. THANK YOU!!!

:):):)[/QUOTE]

couldnt agree more..
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527696&highlight=flatcad

this is a shot of the software that is used to operate the sterolitho machine at my school

[​IMG]

and these are scaled 3d printed caddy heads..
    thanks again to flatcad racing
    [​IMG]

david thanks for posting. look for a PM.
    "No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking." Voltaire

29. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

We can machine just about anything into the block. Right now, however, we are excited just to finish it. We finished the girdle for the block tonight and I hope to have a YouTube of it up tomorrow. It is really beautiful with the block.

David

30. David Kirkham

David Kirkham

There are countless beautiful cars on this site. Frankly, I love them all. What is most beautiful to me is someone going out into the garage and making their dream become reality.

David