Register now to get rid of these ads!

Foating Caps - where to buy them? Build them? Construction help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomRocket88, Feb 7, 2011.

1. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Hi - I know there's another thread about floating hubcaps...but I'm wondering who here has had experience with them? Did you buy a kit to take an existing spinner hubcap and make the contraption work or can you buy them as an entire kit? Thanks, any help is appreciated!

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Are you talking about the "Bling Shit" you saw on Escalades a few years ago? :(

3. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

I dont think there is a "kit" or certain hubcap that you throw on. I think you modify you spindles for the hubcap to mount to. Oh, and relocate the valve stem to the inside of the rim.

4. JAYNE COBB

JAYNE COBB
    from Wichita Ks

No I believe he is talking about the full hub caps that look as though they are not moving. Same concept although they don't spin at all, so when you are moving the caps seem to be stationary.

5. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

thats what i ment, i think you weld a bolt to the end of the spindle and modify the hubcap to spin on till tight?

dunno...

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

and you'd want to do this because....????? hint: your answer had better use the word 'traditional' somewhere - with a POSITIVE connotation.

7. sounds like DONK shit to me:(

8. RichG

RichG

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

The kit that is shown on RichGs link is a useless design,no bearing is going to stay tight without the tab on the washer,but I guess the guys that designed that crap didn"t know what the slot was for.

10. RichG

RichG

LOL, yeah, I don't think I'd be buying anything from that manufacturer, regardless of their "engineering and testing"...:cool: More helpful in the thread is the mention of another member who has done floating caps successfully, you might try pm'ing him and asking for some guidance.

11. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I am sorta young, so I need to ask: Was this done in the old days?

12. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

13. Not really.

14. RichG

RichG

15. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

I am certainly not......I do not look at cars newer than 1985 (the other Oldsmobile I own).....

I'm talking about the floating spinner hubcaps on kustom merc. Whenever I say spinner, I talk about '56 Olds caps, 4 blade spinner caps, etc. Sorry for my being unclear. I am strictly old school.

16. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Traditional and old school would be the best two words to describe me. I want to do something different with my '63 Chevy than everyone else out there doing a 409 street racing look. Again, no offense to these owners. But I need to see an OLD SCHOOL 63 Chevy. It may not have been what someone envisioned in 1963, but it would not look that out of place. They do group the '61 through '64 Chevys for their similar bodystyles, although personally I think they kinda all look radically different. Growing up with the Late Greats has taught a lot.

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

To each his own but that looks about as dorky as the spinner wheels on the jacked up cars with the 26 in wheels and a Tide sticker on the door..

18. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

For everyone on this post: sorry I did not make it clear. I am talking about strictly old terms here. Here is a link to make it very clear what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD3wl0rAY7Y

19. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

The floating hub cap has been around forever. I did a thread on these awhile back. Some guys posted up some good information. It's really not that hard to do. Santo Diablo has it right.

Customs Whats up with the floating hub cap (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533808)

20. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

i wonder if this could be done with a dog dish style cap?? Anyone ever see that done??