Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts counter hero's 54 chevy help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Feb 6, 2011.

1. guys going to cut my springs and need to buy new shocks ....any part counter heros that can tell me a shock that is the same style just shorter that i can use on my 54 chevy ... my the time i get to parts store these guy done want to deal with kustom guy . thanks if you can help... i searched thats why i ask ... thanks guys and women

2. og54chevy

og54chevy

3. cant get a factory part number to start with .. i tried big part houses but they dont have the right ends ..... some one must know some part numbers

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If you are cutting coils with no other mods, you won't need a shorter shock. Your suspension will just think you have a lot of extra weight in the car. The point at which it bottoms out will still be the same.

5. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

yeah, that just depends on how low you are going, if not too extreme, generally he stock shocks will work, if not, go to a mom and pop parts store with a monroe catalog along with measurements you need and they can find ya something, stay away from the big box store, they will not e much help......

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It really doesn't matter how low you go. It matters how you go low. If you only change the springs, the shocks simply do not need to be altered.

The stock suspension can bottom out without bottoming the shock, correct? That's generally required to ensure the suspension won't self destruct if you hit the big bump really hard. Now what if you remove the spring entirely? Hmm, suspension sits on the stops and the shock is almost fully compressed, but not quite.

The only reason to change the shock is if you cut the springs so much that you run out of travel, and then you need to move the stops up, so you should also move the upper shock mount up. (as well as rework the alignment) If you go that far cutting a coil, you went about it the wrong way.

The right way to lower that much is to change the static relationship between the vehicle and the suspension system.

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

I cut 1-1/2 coils on my 50 and had 3" lowering blocks in the rear ran the same shocks front and back.

8. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

thought this might help
    stock shock>>>
    <table class="wideback" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td class="padded2" align="left" width="40%"> <table border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="padded2" align="center" valign="bottom">[​IMG]
    Front
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="top"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" valign="top">Part: </td> <td class="widetext" align="left" valign="top">NS 5826</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" valign="top">Product Line: </td> <td class="widetext" align="left" valign="top">NAPA Shocks</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    <table border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="padded2" style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">List Price
    Your Cost
    Unit
    </td><td class="padded2"> :
    :
    :
    </td><td class="padded2" style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">38.38
    Each
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Qty Available: 0.00 [​IMG]

<table> <tbody><tr> <td>Qty <input name="QtyTextBox" maxlength="6" value="2" id="NS_5826_0131590228" size="2" type="text"> </td> <td> [​IMG] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="5"> </td></tr> <tr> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="DetailBodyHeader" align="left">
    </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" align="left">
    </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="5"> </td></tr> <tr> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="DetailBodyHeader" align="left"> Attributes </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="wideback padded2" align="left"> Lower Mount : S4
    Shock Compressed Length : 10.125"
    Shock Dust Shield : Yes
    Shock Extended Length : 16.375"
    Shock Parts Pack Part # : Two P1134
    Shock Travel Length : 6.25"
    Upper Mount : S4
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="DetailBodyHeader" align="left"> Warranty </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="padded2" align="left"> Limited Lifetime-See Manufacturers Written Policy </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="DetailBodyHeader" align="left"> Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="padded2" align="left"> Monroe® Shock Absorber Oil -- All Grades
    </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="5"> </td></tr></tbody></table>