Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nasty Habit Willys, part 10....Hood,door gaps,headlights,front brakes,primer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Yes, I got it from him a couple of years back. Do you know what car it was on?

2. gasserkiwi

gasserkiwi

looks cool with the paint, and ur puttin way more miles on urs than im managing to get in mine, had it out today thuough, check out dannevirke thread on hamb for some pics of today, also had my plymouth there.
    cheers

3. Kev, you build cars that are inspiring.
    Thankyou.

Carry on.

4. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Fanfreakinawesome as usual Kev!

5. roydebisco

roydebisco
    from n.j

kev that hood is from my gasser that i bought back in 1995 from out of tulsa ok i still have the car no info i do have some pictures i have to dig them out they are packed away some where i will post them by the way that picture of before and after of the coupe body in the pickup truck was my friend he bought that body and all the parts for $600 back in 1981 in oldbridge nj laying behind a gas sattion take care roy

6. LLWillysfan

LLWillysfan
    from Maine

Kev,
    I've read your thread from the beginning more than once. Starting a Willys build of my own and have got a ton of inspiration from your project. I really dig the no-nonsense way you have gone about putting your car together. A lot of it is skill and confidence but you also had a plan for what the car would be and stuck to it. Awesome job and THANKs for posting it.

7. Awesome work kev!!!!

8. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Very nice Kev.

9. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

You did a great job kev, your the willys king!

10. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Kev your willys is amazing! It was good seeing you at the GNRS.
    Jimmy

11. 1954satan

1954satan

You have no idea,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >.
    >
    >
    >
    how much this build thread has inspired me to get out in the cold,wet,winter and get busy with my own gasser.
    Thank you kev,
    thank you very much.
    That willys is very much a period correct example, my guess is back in the the day, guys had to use what they could find,make and adapt, thats exactly what you have done here,its great,enjoy it.

I am.

12. 18n57

18n57

Proof that not all Nasty Habits should be avoided!!
    Love the parking lot shot....great work!

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You Are My Hero!!! Damn Kev this is one of my favorite cars ever.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Kev been following your thread with great interest, as you can imagine steel Willys are rare here in England so we pulled a mould off a known good body and have started to produce them, Im in the middle of collecting parts but hopefully soon be making a start on one very similair to yours, please keep the pics coming [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Great Willys Kev, love your pictures! I know you help fire me up to get out and work on mine even though its nasty cold out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I love that car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. S K I P P E R

S K I P P E R

congradulations Kevin the car is period perfect

18. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Nice job! very motivating...

19. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

that's kiwi kev red (tm),
    I'd expect no less!

[​IMG]

Brakes? we don't need no stinkin brakes!

It's good to be iron rich and cash poor!

TP

20. Hi Travis, missed you at the GNRS. It was good to see tour RPU again though, I miss seeing it around town.Yes that is my favorite color primer. I was surprised when I got done fixing the hood and used a few cans of Dupli Color red oxide fill-n-sand primer, no tiger stripes! So over the next few weeks I worked my way around the car doing some more fiberglass repair on the front end and painting one panel at a time. I don't know how it will hold up but I'm sure I will be able to touch it up easily. I would love to put something on it that will seal it but I don't want to use anything that will cause problems in the future. Any suggestions out there?

21. That parkin lot shot should go on next years HAMB calendar!....too bad bout the rearend; you got some big slicks on that thing.

22. Jay71

Jay71

Seen it a few times going through town now. Always puts a smile on my face. Reminds me of the models I built as a kid. Nice work Kevin.

23. DRD57

DRD57

Great attitude and a very bitchin car. I love the shot with all the cop cars.

24. SOLO

SOLO

Kev your car looks Bitchin! Gives me inspiration for my Model A gasser project! Nice work!

25. Cshabang

Cshabang

atta boy Kev!!!! inspiring as always man

26. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Kev,

If that's your idea of a nasty habit, I hope you've no plans for rehab anytime soon!
    I saw all those cop cars in one place and wondered what'd Kev do now,? either that or OJ got out of the cage.

To the question of a primer- you could go to the expense of a urethane or epoxy primer for preminum service, but why? Any real painter, come paint time, is gonna wanna strip that back to raw glass, prior to paint. I'd opt for a cheap alkyd primer like Rustoleum Red Oxide. The alkyd resin will hold up better than the rattle can stuff, and a qt. can will cover alot of area.
    There's a Willys runnin around Hunnington Beach warein' a pearl white, purple & green fish scale psyscioedelic paint job that looks jus like 1968!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

27. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Kev. Great stuff. Great meeting ya at GNRS. Take care. Slim

28. das858

das858

Nice job on the fiberglass repair, the car looks great in that shade of primer.

29. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great post as usual Kev. Nice brace for the Ansen pedals. Is that an original set or re-pop?

30. That is an original Ansen pedal setup. A friend of mine bought a 57 Ford that had been sitting behind Blairs Speed shop for many years. When the car was moved I discovered those pedals being used as a wheel chock.

kidcampbell71 likes this.