Register now to get rid of these ads!

falcon steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrNick, Jan 26, 2011.

1. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

I have a 64 falcon with power steering. The power steering is the type that the power ram in on the cross link. A characteristic of this type of power steering is that you have no road feel. You can put the vehicle into a turn, let go of the wheel and it will stay there. I tried increasing the caster and that didn't help much.

What I would like to do is adapt a conventional type power steering box (power on the box not the cross link). I would like to keep my stock steering colom. I have the correct linkage for non power steering to use with a power box. No one seems to have a kit for this. Has anyone out there in HAMB land tried to do this? If so, any information would be helpful.

2. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi

My daily driver is a 1964 Ranchero that I went thru this on. The early Rancheros are pretty much the same as early Mustangs. Mustang suppliers make a device that converts the power steering to manual without changing the box. I think it was about $200.00 and made a great difference in the way the truck drives and handles. Essentially you take off the power pump, lines and booster, add this and drive. One Mustang guy told me to expect a "40% improvement" in handling, he was right.

Jan in Ojai, CA

3. boutlaw

boutlaw

I did the same thing on a 66 Falcon, which I believe is the same steering assembly. You need the manual steering conversion adapter. Mustang Unlimited sells them for 67-70 Mustang Falcon P/N MU3304A for $159.95. These early Ford power steering are known for leaking and very expensive to repair. This greatly improved the steering on the 66 I had, but I don;t know if it improved it 40%. I feel sure you can find the same type adapter for your earlier Falcon.

4. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

I have all the linkage for manual steering sitting on the shelf. Just for curisoity I disconected the pump but found that the steering was too stiff for manuvering in parking spots at car shows. I wanted to go with power. I thought that maybe a different ratio box was used for manual steering. Checking the parts suppliers I found that they used the same box, only the linkage was different (eliminates the power ram).

5. 65COMET

65COMET

There is a power box available that does away with the ram.I believe National Parts Depot has it.It is for early Mustangs but they evolved out of a Falcon,a lot transfers over to Falcons and Comets.ROY.

6. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

I got on National Parts Depot website. They list 2 power boxes for 65 and later mustangs. I e-mailed them to see if either one could be fitted to my 64 falcon. Waiting for their reply.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Borgension makes a power box for Mustang retro but it only works with an auto trans as the cross bar for clutch interfears with fittings on box, i.e., no room..Solution is to use hyd clutch..Somewhere around 2001 Isusu Trooper box is used [I think]...

8. 65COMET

65COMET

seb fontana;thanks for noting the manufacturer,I had a brain fart and went blank on the builders. ROY.

9. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

Mine has a C4. I'll check with Borgension. Thanks

10. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

The borgesen box is a really nice piece, fits well and steers great, highly recommend it.

11. 61falcon

61falcon

my 61 falcon has manual v8 steering from an early 63 falcon and it steers just fine. parking lot manuevers take a little extra effort but not enough that i would change it out for power steering.

12. I put a power rack and pinion in my 63. Much better feel and response than any other type of conversion.

13. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

I have seen a power rack and pinion converson advertized for around $2000. Did you have to change your colum? How about other modifications to make it fit?

14. The kit I used was from Unisteer. It eliminates all the stock linkage. You retain the stock column, but do have to take it apart and install a new inner shaft that is included. Quite simple and a bolt in with the only cutting being a short amount off the column mast. The kit was around $1250.00 if I remember correctly

15. I put an Dodge Omni rack into my 65' Rustang that I think was the same set up. It was only a few hundred dollars in parts, but I had to make a different cross member under the engine, cut off the bottom half of the steering column and add a support bearing, modify the steering arms on the spindles, ect. Huge improvement, and much more enjoyable to drive.

16. Bandit67

Bandit67

This doesn't have anything to do with steering... Well kinda. But, I have a 62 Comet StationWagon that the motor is having a case of the knocks. It has a 170 in it and everybody tells me to put a 289 in it. I like my little 170 but I'm a bugdet builder and wana do a fix or swap for about $1,500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

17. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

I checked into the bergensen steering. Only problem is that when you shorten the colum it puts the connection inside the firewall. This requires a floor shift. I have a colum shift auto.

18. Spyder, I've always been told that the rack like the omni shortened the turning radious.How does your car act when trieng to manuve? Thanks Ken N.

19. shaxs

shaxs
    from Austin TX

I too am putting in a Borgeson unit. You will require a floor shift so bummer on that. However this is a good time to add a floor shifter and a tilt column :) I also modified my z bar on my clutch to allow my stock manual transmission. I have pictures if someone wants to see them.

20. falcon_flyer

falcon_flyer
    from Omaha

I have a 64 that I have the same issue with. What I am in the process of is putting a Speedway adjustable ps pressure regulator on. Don't know if it will help, but I will let you know.

21. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

Heidt's also makes a power steering valve that looks like the speedway one. Let me know how it works out.