Register now to get rid of these ads!

2011. final year for the maxton mile.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Jan 30, 2011.

1. edweird

edweird

at least thats what the ecta website says.the gryphon group which does military training or something like that. needs the land. damn i hate to hear that. we sure do have fun there.

2. Thats a bummer.

3. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Joe's message said the the ECTA organization was NOT "going away", just changing.

DW

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!! I hope that's not the case.

5. dudley32

dudley32

Man..I really hate that...it's always something...is'nt it?...d32

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's the message they posted. Looks like they are working on a plan to keep it going.

For the 2011 Maxton Race Season, the ECTA has come to an agreement with the Gryphon Group which will allow us to continue the use of the Runway through the October Event.
    It is the position of the Gryphon group that 2012 will see an increase in their training and traffic which will require them to fully use their leased area. In other words, they have written us a letter stating that it is their intent not to allow us any further use of the facility in 2012. During our meeting we agreed to look at possible ways to continue in 2012. The ECTA will continue to try and work with the Gryphon group as we move through this year.
    At our Board of Directors Meeting held last August, we mapped out a plan to find other possible sites to create a traveling series. This Plan was to have a couple of events in the deep south in winter, moving to a mid-states for early spring and late fall and a northern mid-summer event. We have been actively searching x-military airbases and have a couple of possiblities in the works. If you are aware of sites that have 2 miles of undisturbed runways, please let us know about them. The ECTA has no plans on ‘going away’ but it will be different.
    We collectively need to work together to insure our 2011 season at Maxton is successful by not interfering or disturbing their training facilities. Upon arrival at Maxton, you will be given a map of the off limits areas and no matter how tempting it might be to play in them…. it will be our responsibility to keep our people out of these area’s… our pit area will change and you can expect to see those changes at the Gate as you enter. The Gate will open on Friday morning at 9 am.
    Thank you for your continued support,
    East Coast Timing Association Staff
    Joe, Donna, Keith and Tonya

7. edweird

edweird

what do they do that would require that much land?

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

#9269, I was hoping to get my first "timed" run in this year.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I believe that the Gryphon Group is a new name for the Blackwater Security company....so yeah, they probably need some space. Last time I was there, there was guys paratrooping about 300 yards from the track.

10. toucan

toucan
    from sc

that really sucks !i hope they can come up with a new gameplan and keep it in the southeast.

11. toucan

toucan
    from sc

what about walterboro airport?

12. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Walterboro is a mile to short.......

13. Dan859

Dan859

If they're looking for a northern place for a summer event, there's Griffis AFB and Plattsburg AFB. They're both in New York and they've both been closed for a number of years. They flew B-52s out of Griffis, and the tankers out of Plattsburg, so the runways should be pretty long. We used to go to Griffis when we were kids to watch the B-52s take off. Quite impressive.
    Dan

14. I know it's WAYYYYYYY out of the way for darn near everyone, but there are alot of ex B52 bases in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, KI Sawyer, Kincheloe, etc. Are they long enough?

That really sucks, it was an event I want to go to whenever money, time, family and life permit. ;)

JK

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Looks like one of the races is a MUST attend event this year for me.

16. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

cant believe this is happening. been re-tooling for a shot at the two club at maxton for over 2 years, and now this. I need a money tree for hemi pistons. I'm sure Turk & company are working diligently to find a new home for us.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

One of the best things about NC and we might loose it. Shit.

18. toucan

toucan
    from sc

memories!

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      496.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      509.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      534.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Is the airfield in North, SC a possible site, the SCCA had some events there years ago.

20. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

About a year before finishing my RPU and now this shit.:mad: Maxton was definately on my list.

21. edweird

edweird

maybe george poteet will step in and build a land speed facilty.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Hope someone looks into Oscoda, Michigan as it was a B-52 base (my dad flew B-52's out of there and I graduated high school in Oscoda. The runway is over 2 miles. There are SCCA events there and Connie Kaletta uses the base as a repair facility for his world wide air freight business. Jack Rousch has used the facility for testing so a car event isn't out of the question. As an extra added bonus it's only about an hours drive north of me.:cool::D
    I don't want to speak for him but Coopster here on the HAMB retired to Oscoda and he has a job at an auto parts store there. I'm thinking a big discount on parts and camping in his yard would only be a natural. You listening Mike?:rolleyes::cool::eek::D

Frank

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

and my family owns a beach cottage right on Lake Huron 17 miles south of Oscoda. :D It's a GREAT idea Frank. There is a HAMB guy that works for Kaletta Air. He gave me and my family members a tour of the whole facility last summer. It would be perfect for this event.

24. And Michigan would be way easier the NC for me!:cool:

25. owen thomas

owen thomas

The Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport, a former Air Force Base at Oscoda, Michigan, is and has been available at $1,000 per day. You provide the timing equipment, ambulance and safety equipment. I know guys that have been doing testing there for the last couple of years, and I know guys that have run at Maxton. Wurtzmith is in much better condition and safer according to them.

<O:pThe runway in 12,000 feet long x 200 feet wide and in excellent condition.
    http://oscairport.com/

For an aerial view, go to Bing Maps and search ‘oscoda wurtzmith airport’.<O:p</O:p

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Completely OT, but Blackwater and Gryphon were two separate, and I'd assume competing, entities. I read a while back the Blackwater was changing its name to Xe (pronounced "Zee"). However, that land was Blackwater's training facility, so maybe JJs onto something?

Anyway... I've always heard good things about the Maxton event. I hope they find a new home somewhere in the same eastern vicinity. I think it'd be a loss for the sport of land speed racing.

27. motorcade 1

motorcade 1

Just an idear but maybe some one with ambition and money "which leaves me out" should try to start the North Coast Timing Assoc.in Mi.and work with the ECTA guys to make some thing happen on a once-off deal to see what might come about .Some times some thing bad happening makes some thing really good happen.

28. I'm down for Wurtsmith too. It's only an hour from our cabin. ;)

$1000 a day means only 50 spectators need spend $20 to cover admission... :p

JK

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  29. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

That will only rent the place. What about insurance,secutity,timing lights wire etc. Spectator admission to Maxton and Loring is only $5.00 I believe.