Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Chevy- The OTHER white meat!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C5rider, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

Love the way your car looks and is coming along. Can you explain what you did to lower the rear 3"? Did you use the stock springs/suspension in the rear when you hung the Explorer rear end? I'm getting ready to try to lower mine. I'm using the stock suspension with a '66 chevelle 12 bolt, any suggestions would really be appreciated. I may have to breakdown and buy a kit from Chassis engineering, just didn't want to spend anymore than I had to, but..... Thanks, Joe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I love looking at all of the bowtie's.
    I've got a 31 3w in progress. Will be a 348 tri power in it at some point, It's not done yet but here's a few pics

Attached Files:

3. That sits nice!

4. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Thanks guys! She's now my desktop image and that's helping to keep me actively working on it.

Joe,

I used the factory springs. I bought a pair of Speedway saddles and centered everything up. Initially, I thought I might have to go 4 inches but I wasn't sure. I bought a set of 3-inch lowering blocks for 30 bux and installed them. They came with U-bolts and everything. Once I got them in there, it was obvious that another inch of drop wasn't necessary.

Some folks don't like to run blocks but I figured that they were cheaper than having the spring work done and finding out that it wasn't right. My brother used to run 3-inch blocks in his Plymouth and he had a solid 450-500hp small block in that. With this ol van motor, I might just keep 'em in there.

Attached Files:

5. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Wow, really nice fuel setup!

6. Real nice looking 32...I've always been partial to that year.Looks like you've got the stance figured out pretty good.

7. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

Thanks Joe! I wanted an aluminum tri-power intake for my 348 and nobody makes one so I had a buddy of mine powder coat it for me after I grinded all of the sand casting off it. It looks aluminum now!:D My friend also powder coated the carbs. I bought the fuel line and air cleaners from Hotrodcarbs.com The aluminum carb bases and linkage came from vintage speed. ( just a e-bay thing:eek: ) I took it apart after these pics awhile back and polished the fuel line and carb spacers. I'll have to get some more pictures of it sometime and get them on here. I'm happy with how it turned out.:cool:

8. tyrefryer

tyrefryer

do you have the doors off of your sedan? if so would you be interestd in selling to me. email at [email protected] thanks tyrefryer

9. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

This looks great C5Rider! I'm working on a '32 5 window. Redoing a early '70's street rod. Right now working on the frame, hoping to start on the body as soon as the weather brakes. Biggest problem so far is how to handle the subframe. Some of the guys here have been great. The more pictures the better!

10. neat thread.
    I just met an elderly fellow with a 31 4dr and 2 dr sedan and a 31 roadster...
    all of which might be coming up for sale shortly...

hmmmm.....

11. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Thanks Chopper! I have the one photo as my desktop and I'm really diggin it. Can't wait to get it running!

Altered,

It is amazing that they are still out there but, they are! You can bet that someone will be taking care of those cars in the future. Hopefully they go to an enthusiast who will treat em right, not just whore em out for a few more bucks, making it harder for the next enthusiast to afford. Keep those 32's coming! Pix are ALWAYS welcome! :D

12. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Joe, what I did was buy new rear shackles that were an inch shorter than the original from Eaton. They come with rubber bushings and no center bolt, they are a modern replacement. I figured that would drop me an inch. Then I disassembled my original springs and tried heating and rearching them, I heard some guys have done that. But, it turned out I had two different springs on the rear. So, I figured the local spring shop was the best alternative. For $300.00 they made me a pair with an arch that was 2" lower than stock. Theoretically, that should drop my rear about 3" and that's what I was looking for. I am picking up the springs today and will hopefully install them this weekend. Let me know if you want the Eaton part number for the shackles and I will dig it up, I think they cost about $50.00. Jim

13. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

I got rid of the spring set up that came with my car and and changed out the rear ones with some others I picked up off a sedan. It seem like they have too much arch. See post # 91 above. Here's some pictures of the stuff that came with my car. Their idea of lowering it gave me nightmares.

Rear were heated and bent about the same amount in front and rear.
    [​IMG]

Front were cut off and welded to the frame and axle???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DougHH

DougHH

F*CK i love 32 Chevs.
    My love for 32 Chevs is only kicked down by my love of 34 Chevs will full fenders.
    I would kill for one or the other. *sigh*

15. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

How about a 33. When you do a chevy you have to be creative because unlike our ford brothern we dont have 99% rebop. Thank God thats what I love about the chevy and all those ford parts I used the only one that came out of henerys press was my swapmeet rear cross member. Hey if this was a ford I would of paid more for the grille shell than I did for the car . Keep on bringing them Bowties back I love being part of the splinter group :D well my net is slow check out my Big 3 build here I will post some pics when the damb net is not froze

16. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Whoa Joe! That's some scary stuff right there!

I remember looking under a Model A one time. It had a Corvette rear suspension under it and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out whether it was bolted up, or down. I mean, I KNOW Corvette IRS and this thing, it was like it was bolted EVERY direction. I think they put the rear spring in just so it would look like it fit.

That stuff you're showin there would be really spooky, and hard ridin I'm sure!

17. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Heres one pic of my chevy

Attached Files:

18. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Ohh heck one more

Attached Files:

19. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Man Terry! That's a great looking Chevy! I'm diggin the Hemi. I've got a 330 Desoto in my T. There are very few times when a man can ask another man this question, "What size is yours?"

Get your minds out of the gutterrrrr!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Joe, that is....SCARY! Leave it that way, it sure will be an attention getter. :)

21. I like what your doing with the Chevy. You have a good stance. I have 14's on the front., with a lower profile. Tuff to get Chebbies in the weeds.I have cut 1-i/2 coil off the MII .. Rides about 1" lowre than it should.
    My 1st SR and lovin' it.
    Keep up the good work.
    Looks a little like my 31 I have gotten on the road in09. I am stitching uop the seats now.

Attached Files:

22. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I'm trying to get mine a little lower. I put new springs in the front with fewer leaves and had them arched about an inch less than the original. The rear springs I just picked up today, they are arched 2" less than the originals and took out 2 leaves, and I used shackles that are 1" smaller than original. I mocked them and the rear in tonight and it still looks too high. The top of the frame at the front spring perch is 18 1/2" and the top of the frame at the rear spring perch is about 21". I am running 14" tires in front and 15" in the rear. Any thoughts?

23. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Great looking ride CapeCodBob! I had some guys looking at mine last week and they said it needed a set of wires on it. I dunno, I kind of like the way it is for now. Maybe if/when I ever make it pretty.

I like how your engine sits in there. Here's a quick question for y'all. My brake booster/master should be moved back a few more inches to be right and to give me some more room for the trans (700R4). The problem is that it would hit the trans crossmember. I'm thinking of just drilling out the rivets and moving it back a few inches. Has anyone else done this for more clearance and if so, how did it work? Is it strong enough to hold the tranny?

24. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

"Joe, that is....SCARY! Leave it that way, it sure will be an attention getter." :)

Jim, I don't need attention, Just want to drive it!:D

25. Ghost28

Ghost28

Here's a quick question for y'all. My brake booster/master should be moved back a few more inches to be right and to give me some more room for the trans (700R4). The problem is that it would hit the trans crossmember. I'm thinking of just drilling out the rivets and moving it back a few inches. Has anyone else done this for more clearance and if so, how did it work? Is it strong enough to hold the tranny?[/QUOTE]

Just support your frame real well before you move the crossmember, after you reinstall it you should be good to go. the brake pedal placement is important for your comfort. Is your frame boxed?

26. I am old school and like the caps and rings.
    I used a aftermkt. tube tranny xmember.It is in the way of installing a power booster. Also I want to change the MC bracket. As it needs bracing. K'ing the frame might have been better but would have taken a lot more work and planing. But might have given me a stronger mount.

27. Think about reversing the eyes on the springs or lowering blocks.
    I used a CE universal rear on mine . The springs are flat with full load. .

28. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Wow !! now for the answer it not the size of the hemi its the size of the owners foot . No its a 330 desoto also and have a set of drag star intakes for 6 -2,s and 6- 94 holleys I love these chevys

29. Here's my 32 Chev.

Attached Files:

30. nailhead terry

nailhead terry