Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever have one of those DAMMIT moments?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 2, 2011.

1. I will clarify that question,I have told the story in the past but we have some new guys now so I will just hit the highlights,,

When the owner ship of the wagon was passed from my wife's grandmother to my wife's dad he repainted the car and in the process lost the "Ranch Wagon" script,,,fast forward to our ownership and my trying to bring it back to life 8 long years ago I was on a mission to find new script,,none to be found and I settled for some 1952 script I found on E-Bay,,after painting the car I found out they had the pins in different locations than the '54's,,and knowing I ain't gonna drill new holes I found a rough pitted set in a junk yard in another county
    I sent them off to Advanced Platting and those guys worked their magic and made them look new,,at a price but I was happy,,,

Fast forward to last night,,I realized that the paint/Bondo build up in the holes where the script goes had made the holes a couple of sizes too small so I very gently used a small drill bit between my thumb and index finger and slowly twisted the bit to relieve the holes to the proper size,,,no problem on the passenger side.

Move around to the drivers side squatted down and proceeded to do the same thing,,all went well until I started to stand up and i lost my balance,,that Damn 'ol bad leg of mine and put my hand down to catch my fall,,,Guess where my hand landed???

On that DAMN SCRIPT EMBLEM and I BROKE the DAMN thing!:mad: HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. HRP

I have always been a clutz, just ask anyone who has known me for more than a day.

I hate that you broke your emblem but I do appreciate the story. I now feel closer to being normal. :D

I broke a harmonic balancer bolt off in a freshly assembled 283 once. After I tried to worry the damned thing out the backyard way for several hours I ended up pulling the mill back down and chucking that bugger up in a lathe to drill it out and chase the threads.

Note to self use new harmonic balancer bolt and never ever use a cheater to torque anything that you are sure needs to be tighter than anyone else does it. :eek:

3. Racrdad

Racrdad

Oh man, that sucks. I thought I was the only one that did crap like that. Not that it makes any of us feel better but if you are in the garage working enough sometimes stuff just happens.

4. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

damn,....it sucks getting old.
    a little JB weld and it'll be fine. Seriously though, as you know, that emblem can be fixed, like before, it's just a pain in the ass.

5. dt50chev

dt50chev

Ouch!! That hurts.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just jb weld it and put it together .What else you gonna do .I have those moments alot this month ,I think Im damned

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ouch, that's tuff...but find some of that new car glue they use and glue it together...

Yeah, I know, it won't be perfect...but how many people actually get their nose close enuff to see that you broke it...???

R-

8. Wag- on .....man

best o luck

I HAVE SOME BAD ...58 BERMUDA EDSEL WAGON SCRIPT IF THAT WILL HELP IN ANY WAY?

9. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Seems lately every moment is a DAMMIT moment for me.....

10. Deuces

Deuces

Every day of my life! It's like I have a dark cloud hangin' over me for some damn reason.. :(

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Question should be "when was the last time you had one of those dammit moments" not "ever had one of those dammit moments"...:D

12. Yep, I had one of those just a few weeks ago, I had the freshly painted dash for the coupe hanging on a hook from the ceiling, I turned around to answer my phone and the corner of the dash snagged the lapel on my jacket. It came off the hook and went behind me, I grabbed it about the time I heard a thud, I was afraid to look. As I turned around I felt weak in the knees, it landed on my freshly painted coupe, thought to myself, maybe if I just lay down and die I'd feel better.:(:mad::eek:
    [​IMG]

13. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

So I was standing next to the owner of the fancy Body Shop where I was newly employed...A JUST out of the paint booth late model Jaguar, complete paint job, 2 stage, of course, and as I was installing the wipers, I had one clicked all the way back, so I could slip it on the post. I turned around just as the spring let go and flipped the wiper down like an ax-my distance from the fender was PERFECT, and it took about a 1/4" wide strip 10" long, all the way to BARE METAL outta the fresh paint on the left front fender. I don't know how, but I didn't lose my job that day...This stuff happens when you work on cars, it sucks, and you feel stoopid, but, hey we all do it! And, yes, it happens even more as you get older!! Which SUCKS, but, oh well...

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Sorry HRP.. that sucks!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, and the older I get the more often they seem to occour. I did learn that you can seal a toilet tank with marine epoxy the other day though.

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

A few weeks ago I knocked the side of the roadster with an exhaust tube I was carrying and put a nice gouge in the "finished" paint.

Last summer, I took off my wedding ring last summer to carry a frame into storage and went to put it in my posket and heard the clang of titanium hitting pavement... then it rolled for twenty, or so, feet and I lost sight of it. It took me at least fifteen minutes to find it.

Last year, leaving a swap meet, I watched a guy put an early 50's Chey trunk lid into the back of his truck, hop in, and drive off ahead of me. Not even five minutes after leaving the lid had blown out of his truck and smashed into a following car. A set of bungies, at the very least, would have saved this guy a lot of headaches.

While not my own "Damn it" moment, it certainly comes to mind whenever I'm loading my truck now.

17. OH MAN!!:eek:,,My problem is minor compared to that,,I hate it for you,,I hope it wasn't a wrong number.:rolleyes: HRP

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man, Grits, that does SUCK! :(

19. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Boy, I betcha you had a few choice words to fly when that happened! Crap like that makes your stomach sink for a bit. Wagon is looking great though HRP. Just one emblem away from outstanding!

20. Thanks HRP, I still feel a little sick when I look at it. I learned a valueble lesson that day about hanging stuff from the ceiling.
    Sorry about your part, hope you can fix or replace it.

21. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Not my Dammit moment, We had a guy at the shop slide a de-icing truck into a 747 ripping a 15 foot gash into it

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yeah..and it blows when it happens..
    sorry to hear of your luck..and Gary's too.

Im thinking with todays technology in epoxies you can find something strong and clear to mend that..I know that blows when you had such nice parts..or maybe it will at least get you by until you can find another one.

Im still hopeful Grits Gouge will rub out..it has to man

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

REST EASY ...

I know where a spare 54 wagon Ranch Wagon emblem is.
    It is where we got your Maverick 5 lug rear end at :D :D

24. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

years back we were building a blower moter and went to set the manifold on (crager) and it slipped out of my hands amd yes you know the rest it lands on a corner ear and busted just like your emblem , and yes i said dammet in french , russian, english , dutch and even backwards , so i know how you feel

25. rodman41

rodman41
    from colorado

had a freashly painted and flamed front fender for a 39 merc that my boss at the time had just finished color sanded and buffed. He sent me outside to blast a little rust area on a bug that we were doing. It was kinda cold out so I put the air hose under the door and shout the door down on the hose. When I got outside the hose was to short to reach the area I was doing so I pulled on the hose ,still to short so I pulled again heard a big crash and a loud scream from inside. Hose was wraped around the leg of the stand that held that 39 freashly painted and flamed fender my bad.

26. That's great!

Deuce and I joke about it all the time that you are allowed so many bad words a year,,and here it is February and my allotment has been used up in just one day!

All I need to do is learn a few new languages,,:D HRP

French,,,Dammit,,same as English
    Russian,,Черт побери
    Dutch,,,,Goddorie

27. I had just put the fresh painted dash in the 52 and was with the most care I ever used tighting the inside garneshing down with my best Phillips and yes it F---K--g slipped and I put a nice long to the primer scratch in my new dask. I just locked up and didint look at the car for three weeks.

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i think i could hear the darth vader like Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo all the way over here , we feel your emblem pain

29. A MODEL

A MODEL

Preach it brother ,preach it

30. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Since I have never made a mistake myself I can't really relate, but I'm sure it must be terrible.:rolleyes::cool::D

I though I mistaken once, but it turned out I was wrong about that.