Register now to get rid of these ads!

need 64 Impala help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loc8tor, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I know nothing about these cars....where are the problem areas? what should I look for? How can I tell its a real SS? what could I sell it for?
    Im possibly trading my 48 Dodge 2dr sedan for a 64 Impala SS, was 327/pg, midnight blue over white, in primer nearly ready for paint, needs final block sanding on 1/4s, lower patch on r fender, and hood(has 2 dents). No engine, was set up for hydraulics, frame has been plated in front of firewall(Im assuming strengthened for the hydraulics). It has solid floors with 1 5"X3" patch at the pedal area, it has a solid trunk floor with the exception of 2 1"x3" holes almost directly under where the rear speakers go(again for hydraulics), and for what ever reason to 1"x3" patches in the package tray area at the extreme left and right. Buckets are decent w/1 tear on the seat back, console is nice, steering wheel is primed, has all original glass plus new windshileld. New headliner. Most of the original chrome trim and some new trim, nice bumpers, and some 100 spoke wires. Missing Grille, Emblems, and engine....what do you think a fair value is???
    My dodge is listed on here with pics, I know, I know its a 48 dodge and not nearly as desireable, but its alot closer to being done than the Impala, Im just looking at turning it as quickly as possible to get my 61 Bubbletops!!!
    Thanks for the input and I will try and upload some pics soon.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

$2500 (and up) for the way it sounds...I'd make that offer and see where it goes...nice, finished SS 's go for $10,000 up...

I'd check it over carefully if it's got rust patches in it...the trunk areas, in the corners rust first, then rockers and quarter panels, bottoms of front fenders (against the door) get rust.

It should have SS as the model on the title...other than that the SS side trim is one straight piece that intersects the door handle...Impala trim is thinner, goes below the door handle and makes a U-turn at the back and runs all the way to the front wheel well. SS usually had buckets and a console.

The market is not conducive to "turning" a car real quick right now...and Impalas and SS's are not hot cars to market.

R-

3. It does have the wide chrome and 1 piece no curve at the back. and I didnt see any weld or filler in the lower part of the panel where the other strip of chrome would have went.....I would think there is a broader market for the 64 Impala SS than there is for a 48 Dodge 2dr sedan though.......I was offered this as a trade and have my dodge priced at 5500(a little hi, but thought Id be able to drop a little)

4. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

Check the rear body mounts. They tend to rot away. A crack/tear in the upper quarter where it joins the roof is one common symptom.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

rt66jt, you know your '64z!
    This is a SS clone I did last summer for a friend, it had rusted body mounts and cracks on both sides of quarters where the sail panels meets..............

Attached Files:

• 64A.jpg
      64A.jpg
      File size:
      103.5 KB
      Views:
    • 64D.jpg
      64D.jpg
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views:
    • 64E.jpg
      64E.jpg
      File size:
      96.7 KB
      Views:
  6. 1/4s look good, body mounts I didnt get a look at, he said they are good. The frame is what scares me the most.....I just didnt want to trade an almost done car for a major project with the hopes of selling it quick, and then have to take a lossbecause of the paint and frame issues. Thanks guys

7. I am of the opinion also that in today's market,the deal you are considering might not be a good one.Trading a running car for one that you admit kinda scares you is a bit risky.If you are not familiar with the 64 and just intend to flip it,I would either find a buyer first before I traded or just pass on it. 64s had the old X frames and hydraulics could have done some damage you won't find until you try to sell it. I also do not think even an SS would sell for what you are considering if it isn't a driver.

8. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

The fact it is in primer makes me nervous. If any primer I would rather just over the repaired areas, not the whole car. My 2cents

9. ssimpala

ssimpala

I love the Impalas, but like the guys are telling you...beware, prices are WAY down right now.

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

Not a good trade at all,if the frame has been all hacked up and that hydralic junk put on it ,patches everywhere,no engine ,why would you spray primer on a car needing body work except to hide real damage. With what you described at a swap meet it would be lucky to draw $2000 these days.If you want a money pit go for it,if not keep the Dodge til something better pops up.

11. Gtet under it and look at the chassis. The X gets full of mud and crud and they rust out.

12. Thanks for the advice guys, I passed on this one......just thought there would be a broader market for it than the ole dodge....