Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's involved in getting a New NJ title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HolyHandGrenade, Jan 30, 2011.

1. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

I'm looking at picking up a new project out of GA. I just got off the phone with the guy, and the car has no title. I just moved here from NH a couple of years ago, so I don't know how hard it is to get a new title in NJ.

In NH a car that old (it's a 67') doesn't need a title.

I know I can call the DMV, but it's SUN and I kinda want to close this deal. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

2. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

I was just searching some more and found an old thread here. the thread stated that it was easier to get a title in PA. My fiances parents live in PA so I could also go that route if need be, and then have them "sell" the car to me.

Can anyone verify this?

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

in NJ, you can get a title for the car from GA if you get a past registration card from the seller and a bill of sale (not sure if it needs to be notarized or just signed off by a GA DMV employee).

If you cannot get a previous registration card from the owner, then dont even bother trying to go through NJ, its pretty much impossible.

4. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Thank you! The guy is driving the car irght now, so it shouldn't be a problem then.

5. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I will try to attach a How To article that I downloaded from the Drankshaft Coalition site. Hope it works, it is really helpful in state by state process for getting titles.

6. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I wasn't able to attach the document but if you want it PM me with your email address and I will forward it.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

then I would just stop into your local DMV office and just run it buy them and ask them 100% what you need before you close any deals. best of luck!

8. old city

old city

NJ , i once bought a antique motor bike in Nj . I called the dmv they wanted to report me to the state police. They claim the bike may have been stolen. I sent to a title place in Nevada ,they sent me a Ga title . Then transfered to Pa. Ask the seller if he can get a GA. title, i believe you can get one from Ga if you have a vin number.

9. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

you cant.

The state of Georgia WILL NOT print a title for a vehicle that does not need a title in the state of Georgia.

I just went through this with a friend who lives there that was trying to help me out exactly one month ago;

The second opinion was the same.

11. JThw8

JThw8

I just went through the process this past year and despite all the horror stories and folklore I had heard throughout the years it was just plain simple.

The short and simple
    You need to get a notarized statement from 3 disinterested parties (friends are fine, relatives arent) saying they have seen the vehicle in your possession.

You need to run a very specific (wording is provided) ad in a local newspaper 3 times in 2 weeks. The newspaper will provide an certification of the ad once complete.

Using the same wording send a certified letter to your local PD.

Take all those items, plus 2 forms provided by the DMV and a check for $60 and send them to the address provided and in a few weeks (2 for me) you get a title.

I had the whole process done in 30 days, the biggest delay was waiting for the newspaper ad to run.

Also, I dont know if it made a difference but I included a copy of the insurance card for the car, in my name, with the documentation. Since you cant register a car without insurance most ins companies dont ask for proof of ownership to issue an insurance card but the NJDMV looks at it as proof of ownership.

12. JThw8

JThw8

The above process is for no-title cars. If the GA owner of your car has a current registration then you just need to take that, plus a pencil rubbing or photo of the vin and the registration acts as proof of ownership. NJ does recognize registration cards as titles for vehicles that come from non-title states and they have a process for it.

The local offices are usually useless for this stuff but if you go to the special titles office (where you get historic plates) in Trenton (not the main office in trenton) they know everything you need to do.

I've been through both processes and can did through my stuff and find the exact instructions if you need them.

Here's the instructions which you should need if he has a GA registration card for the car
    http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/nontitled.pdf

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  13. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Thank you all very much. I think I have the deal all worked out now that I feel more comfortable about getting the title.

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

FWIW, that above process only works if you purchased or "found" the car in the state of NJ. I tried going through that process and was told before I even got started that I could not do it since my car came from out of state without paperwork (just a private bill of sale).

again, just what I was told at the DMV when I attempted to do it. If I had known prior to walking in, I would have just told them I bought it on a bill of sale only in state. me and my stupid honesty, lol :rolleyes:

15. JThw8

JThw8

Gotta catch the right person on the right day I guess. Mine had an out of state Ohio bill of sale and went through without an issue.

Sometimes you are better off not asking them questions, most of the time they dont know their own rules. I tend to print off all the instructions from their websites and take them along anymore so I can show them what their own rules are.

The non-title process I did entirely through the mail so there was noone to tell me what I couldn't do and by the time the paperwork made it into the right hands they had no problem with it. You just need to get past the underlings to the folks who actually approve things :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  16. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

grrrr, that pisses me off. I hate employees who claim they know what they are talking about, then find out they really dont.

so, between the $60 fee, the news paper ads and everything else, what was the total cost of doing it that way?

18. JThw8

JThw8

$60 for the state
    $60 for the newspaper
    a couple of bucks for the certified mail (ticked me off since I had to drive past the police station to get to the post office but it has to be certified mail)
    notary fees for the witness statements unless you know a notary or your bank does it free (mine does)

So just over $160 all said and done, the $60 to the state covers the usual title fees and such as well (and noone asked me about taxes oddly enough)

19. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

not too bad, I guess ill just have to ask less questions and just do it if it ever comes up again, but I think Ill just avoid no-title cars from now on, lol.