Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Toner283

Toner283

Do you know if they still have all (or most) of the parts that were removed from it when the attempt was made to change it to the front engine/rear drive configuration? Or the dash that was removed before the buick(?) one was installed?

Seems to me that 1035 in particular will take a lot of work just in tracking down parts to restore it properly. Hope that they get the right people involved in the project from the get go. I am a hot rodder that is not afraid to cut up pretty much anything, but these unrestored Tuckers that have just surfaced deserve to be restored as close to perfect as possible.

That being said, I would love to have the cash available to build an correctly proportioned aluminum bodied replica with a mid mounted engine and a stupid amount of horsepower. Maybe a 2 door sedan? I think a 2 door was probably brewing in Preston's head & would have become a reality a couple of years after the introduction of the sedan. Sadly we will never know.

Same as I said about 1010, I hope the restoration of 1035 is well documented with information and pictures available to the general public as they restore it.

2. Here's some pics of Tucker #1029 - it was in Lew Webb's private collection in SoCal when I shot these in February 2009...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Some pics of #1019 at the San Diego Automotive Museum along with the "Experimental 589" engine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

All the parts had been found in 1975 before the owner of the car, Mr. Lee, was murdered. Since then the Museum was been closed up and heavily looted. It's hard to say what is left of the parts.

I have no idea of what has been done to the car in the attempt to change it to front wheel drive. I should receive photos in the next couple days and will know better then.

The City of Caçapava intends for the Tucker to be the "star" of their new museum. The problem will be funding the building and restoration of all the cars. My best guess is we'll see a partial restoration of the Tucker. Probably enough to get it looking really good but not try to make it a driver again. That way they wouldn't have to restore the frame, trunk, or engine compartment but it would look just as good as any other Museum Tucker. There would be no damage in doing this kind of restoration as the damage to the car has already been done. This would preserve the car if someone in the future wanted to fully restore it.

I do know that the car will likely never leave Brazil. They people there take great pride in this car being there and the connection to Preston Tucker. The car has been there since before the Tucker Plant closed in 1948. Without the Tucker the Museum would be pretty average. They are counting on the Tucker to attract visitors.

There is a team of Brazilian auto restoration people accessing all the cars and advising them on the restorations. I'm sure we'll see updates as they move forward.

5. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Both the cars posted above, #1029 and #1019 were originally grey cars when they left the plant. #1029 has maintained its grey color while this is the third shade of blue on #1019.

6. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

About 15 years ago the high school auto shop teacher at pleasant valley high school, in Chico,Ca. Had a black Tucker. He auctually drove the car around town. I can say it had a distinctive exhaust note. Thats all I know bout it, might be able to get his name if you need it.

7. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Tucker #1021 is still owned by Gene Clarke who has since retired. He continues to bring the car to shows in the area. It was featured in the October 2000 edition of Cars and Parts Magazine. The car has over 200,000 miles on it and is very drivable.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1021.jpg
      1021.jpg
      File size:
      225.9 KB
      Views:
  8. That 589 engine is fascinating. Some mean looking connecting rods there!

9. FC49

FC49

Is the grey color on 1029 the same shade as the NASCAR #12 car? I need to match it as close as possible on the model I'm making.

Frank C.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  10. FC49

FC49

This placard says ".....all castings are aluminum." except for "..pistons..."

What were the pistons made of if not aluminum?

Frank C.

11. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

It's always hard to tell on a repaint. I assume Harrah's #1032 would be pretty accurate in getting close to the original. When I put photos of #1029 and #1032 side by side they appear the same color. The other thing is that because these were all prototypes and basically one-offs there is really no guarantee that the nine Grey cars built by Tucker weren't nine somewhat different shades of Grey since they were all hand sprayed at different times.

12. OREGONBILLY

OREGONBILLY

Hi, I have to look but a friends friend was a investor with Tucker and he gave y friend all his paperwork and newspaper stuff, some signed papers and pictures taken at the factory. I have actually drivien a Tucker myself and ridden in one also with a friend who owned one here in Oregon. I'll look for thos things if your interested. Bill Darland Eugene, Oregon

13. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

It would be great to see. I'm guessing since you are in Eugene you rode in John Janacek's car, Tucker #1046, although there were two other Oregon Tuckers.

14. Geez, what is it with interior shots of Tuckers that you can never see the odometer? :rolleyes:

15. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Probably since most are in museums or are roped off when they are in public it makes it a little tougher to get that photo. One of my projects to preserve Tucker history is to establish the current mileage on all the cars.

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Here's a photo I haven't posted before that maybe someone in the Seattle WA area can help with. I looking for information on the owner of this Tucker in 1951.

[​IMG]

I believe this same Tucker may also have been on a car lot at 9420 16th Ave SW in Seattle in late 1950 or early 1951. The lot was owned by Maxwell C. Borgeson (b. 8/10/1916, d. 6/10/1996) begining in the late 40s. He and his wife, Peggy L. Borgeson, lived at 1223 SW 124th. in Seattle. She owned Peggy's Dress Shop across the street from the car lot at 9439 16th Ave. SW.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Borgeson began selling VWs in the early 50s and the lot became known as Avalon Auto Sales. I think Borgeson kept Avalon in operation into the 80s. The building is still there.

I'm hoping someone may remember seeing the car there or know if someone bought it or if Borgeson held on to it for a while. The car later turned up near the tri-cities area on a lot in August of 1952 near the Hanford site. (that probably explains why this Tucker glows in the dark...just kidding)

Attached Files:

17. FC49

FC49

Thanks, good to know. I'll use the pics as a guide and get the closest match in rattle-can touch-up paint. Although those pics of 1029 sometimes make the color look like a metallic silver, I'm going to assume it is not.

Frank C.

18. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

This one is from the Kentucky Library

[​IMG]

19. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I would certainly like to know more about this photo. Is there a link to access it or any story with it, dates, etc. No detail is too small. How did you find it?

20. Mojo

Mojo

What's the deal with the brasilian tucker having those hash marks at the quarter window? Was that a one-car feature, or a modification? I've never seen that before.

21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

This Tucker was at Pappy's Motor Sales on Livernois Ave. in Detroit.
    Does anyone know what Pappy's address was?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  22. FC49

FC49

To TF48 - I found this in my stack of Tucker-related junk. It gives a great description of the car from an owner's standpoint, that owner being Roger Barlow, owner of International Motors in LA, who knew a thing or two about good-handling cars. Phil Hill got his start wrenching for Barlow. The magazine this is from, July 4, 1988 Autoweek, has stories about the newly released Tucker movie, and about Coppola's cars. I had forgotten that George Lucas also owned 2 Tuckers. Does he still have them?

Frank C.

[​IMG]

23. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I'll have to dig through my information on Barlow. Maybe someone has photos or addresses for International Motors in LA during the early 50s.

Lucas sold #1003 several years ago. It went through a full restoration around 2007 and is currently going through a second full restoration.

24. Toner283

Toner283

I am curious about this as well. They look like louvers to me. Anybody have any thoughts/idea's as to what they might be?

25. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

The car has been hidden in a dark building until last week so this is the first time we've seen the vents behind the window. There was no other Tucker that had this so it was something that was added when the car was in Brazil. I can only speculate that they may have had some overheating issues and tried to get more air into the engine compartment.
    I have photos coming of the car that may help figure it out.

26. FC49

FC49

Attn TF48: I ran across these 8x10 pics while trying to locate and put all my Tucker crap in one place. No info on where, when, who, except for this address on the envelope they were in. This may or may not have anything to do with these pics.

TUCKER PHOTOS
    4607 - 170th PI. N.E.
    Redmond, WA 98052

I'm still looking for the 1940s article on the TuckerMatic tranny that has pics and diagrams. When I find that one I'll scan and post here.

Frank C.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. FC49

FC49

Barlow's dealership was on Hollywood Blvd next to Grauman's Chinese Theater. Besides Phil Hill, Ken Miles also worked there. Barlow mentions in the Autoweek article that his used car lot was on Vine St, perhaps around the corner from the new car showroom where all the Jags, MGs, etc were sold?

A friend of mine did photography for Int'l Motors brochures and ads back in 49-50, but never ventured into the shop to BS with the likes of Miles, Hill, etc. Who knew? I almost smacked him when he told me that.

Frank C.

28. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Grauman's is at 6925 Hollywood Blvd, about 3/4 of a mile from Vine St.

29. FC49

FC49

I have road and track going back to early 1950s. I'll check for ads that should have exact address for Barlow's joint.

FC

30. FC49

FC49

Feb. 1949 R&T ad for Int'l Motors says shop was at 8741 Alden Ave, showroom was 8536 Sunset Blvd. I'm looking for a later magazine with the Hollywood Blvd location. Lots to go thru, but it's fun so far.

Look what I found in July '54 Motor Trend:

[​IMG]

That's a pretty steep asking price for 1954, no? Seeing the 1948 sticker was $2495. Not that it mattered, because I couldn't swing even $24.95 back then.

Frank C.