Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have your feelings changed about enjoying the build vs the driving more?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Since I have never had what I call a "completely finished car", I enjoy a car I can drive and upgrade at the same time! My current project is presently undrivable but hope to have it on the road by summer. I love having something "cool" to cruise in! I will change and upgrade it as I go.

2. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Winter time Build
    Summer time Drive

I'm in the middle of a build and have had total tunnel vision on it for the last 3 months.
    i had to move the TT the other day and the second it popped off so did i.
    I forgot how much i like driving that truck. Just hate how bad the rain muks it up

3. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

Perfectly said!!!!!!!!!!

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm afraid I fit into this category, too. I do like and enjoy the work. Driving them is just to show that I did it, I believe.

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will eventually fall into this category ........when I "finish" my Plymouth. Then, I will get back on my Pontiac ack ack ack ack. :)

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I actually like the Thrill of the CHASE ... more than building or driving. :)

I really like finding the RIGHT parts and figuring out what works.
    I have worked at a junk yard ( part-time or so ) ... off and on for most of my adult life. I like finding parts and pieces, making the DEAL ... and helping fellow rodders.

I do enjoy getting my roadster out on a warm evening and the wife and I taking a late evening ride ... around the lake ... or over to a cruise night.

7. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I would rather drive one and work on another, so I am in the middle I guess. I don't enjoy the build as much because of lack of funds and my back problems make it hard to enjoy the work.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I agree, I made the mistake of selling the last 2-3 builds as soon as they were done.

9. Koz

Koz

I don't know what it's like to have one to drive! It always seems as soon as I get one on the road somebody thinks they need money and I sell it. Bad move. My pickup is almost done and to be honest I'd need a kidney before it goes and that's only if I'd need the kidney real bad.

Now watch Pennsy make 'em illegal since they do everything that California doe's! They've been banging that one around for a while.

10. cavemag

cavemag

The build and the drive don't have anything on the first startup.

11. Danog

Danog

I'm having fun on the Build, but I think My Pops wants to drive his truck intead of me driving it. So I better Hurry.

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

wishin it was finished but enjoyin the build if i could just buy it instead of buyin it, it wouldnt be the same

13. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

That ^^^ kind of says it for me too. Did the major builds/work in my younger years. Now I just tinker/fix/modify things in the winter and cruise/play when the sun shines.:D I'm now able to keep the garage cleaner/neater too.;)

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The secret is to have 1 of each.:D One to drive and one to work on and collect parts for.

I was always a "closet rodder". Nothing completed... always projects. I joined a club in the 70s that stressed driving so I built a beater to drive to the shows. I sold it and really missed the driving. I did not want to be a spectator. I wanted to be a participant again. There is a hell of a difference. I have not been without a driver for very long ever since.

I never thought that I could buy someone else's hotrod but I did. I still have a hangup about it even though I've changed many things on it. When someone compliments me on the truck I have to tell them that I did not build it. But I do drive it.:D

15. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Tommy, that's exactly what I think - one back in the shop and one on the blacktop.

16. S.F.

S.F.

IM to the point to where I've worked on so many cars I'd rather just drive them.

17. It'a all about the drive!

18. pjbjr413

pjbjr413

With me, my preference seems to swith away from what ever stage I'm in, I'm currently in the build phase, my wife's '53 Buick that is apart in the garage and an O/T Chevy pickup for myself that is tucked away behind my dad's shop and right now I want to DRIVE!!!!! Luckily my dad always has something I can borrow to drive

19. reefer

reefer

This internet thing has messed up my Hot Rodding...spend way too much time on it and get overloaded...can`t be arsed to get out and build anymore....even search out and buy parts from this seat...it`s too easy to get a fix without actually doing anything.

I have the typical Gemini problem...when I`m building a project I want a driver...when I get a roadster I want a coupe....had some nice coupes and roadsters over the years...

20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Man that's true! I don't want to even think how many hours I spend learning about something or planning something before I actually do it.

21. newpy383

newpy383

If you own a beater like i do you get to do both. I have enjoyed this truck more than any i have had or built.

22. screwball

screwball

I dont lie to my self any more. I would rather drive cause I dont have the time,talent,tools,energy,skill or money needed to build my own car. I stopped dreaming last year and gave my 53 Plymouth to my 16 year old. I will help him out as much as I can as he has time to learn and a place to keep it as long as he wants and a place to live rent free for at least the next 10 years.

23. I really love the challenges of a build. I love to drive my cars also but when they are finished to my satisfaction I get a bit melancholy because there is nothing left to do, Nothing to overcome.
    So I buy another project!!:D

24. Rickochet

Rickochet
    from Indiana

I have built or restored a bunch of vehicles from Airplanes to Scooters over the years. I really enjoy the build more than the flight or drive. It is just so satisfying to feel the pleasure of bringing something to life using fine craftsmanship. After I complete a project I will use it for a short time and then it's off to a new project. I am glad that God made us all different!

25. Black Primer

Black Primer

As much as I enjoy the rush of the first drive, I like the build better. I enjoy the challanges and all the accomplishments along the way.

26. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Building and driving are both about the same for me, planning[ie, sitting on a bucket and staring at my car for hours on end conceptualizing with an endless supply of cold ones]and parts chasing are my 2 favorite parts of a project.

27. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Build one.....drive another. problem solved.

28. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Yep--My 37 has been on the road for almost 30 years,and I've built another car and played with a couple more.I've got a 56 chevy 2 door sedan I've had for about 10 years,was my daily driver,but it feel apart! So I drive the 37--fix things here and there,but plan the next build. I'm like'n the drive more now--

29. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

I'm like alot of you I love to drive them but I wish I had the money to fix them up some more. If they get broken It usually takes longer to get them back on the road. I'm going through hat right now with my 36 truck. Now I need a new cam and lifters due to a flat cam. Once I clean every thing out then I will know the damage. Buils and driving are both cool.

30. MissPrint

MissPrint

What he said. Really hard to get motivated to tear my car apart for final paint when she's running so dayum good.

Well, that and $$ and time (or lack thereof since I'm teaching full time again :rolleyes: ). . .

This summer. Definately this summer, I'll get back on body & paint. . .unless I decide I just wanna drive. . .;)