Register now to get rid of these ads!

The future of the JJ '54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 23, 2011.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Most of us wathced the JJ '54 Chevy build on Monster Garage that just sold at Barrett-Jackson. If you were the guy that won it would you upgrade and/or change things or just leave it as is? I'd put a grille in it for sure. Is there more value in the Winfield paint or in a repaint in a different color? There are no right or wrong answers, just opinions. :)

2. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

That car always looked like it had a wicked overbite to me. Liked that fact that it brought that bunch of guys together on one car but never really liked the outcome. With that said I guess it has enough credentials to be left alone.

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

What you said. I appreciate it for it's build history.... may not be perfect, but what a pedigree. Most of those who will find fault couldn't do it.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd leave it up probably clean up the engine bay since the car was built with a deadline in mine. A 324 Olds engine with Offy VC's, polished 3x2 intake and orange/gold engine vlock would look killer. Then I would upholster the engine bay like Moriarity.

5. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

actually if i owned it i would be super happy i just bought it for only 40 grand. that is un-fuckin-believably cheap if you ask me. but then again im not cool enough to say i dont like the car, i think its great.

6. I wouldn't do anything to the car but drive the snot out of it!

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I am Curious on WHY everyone thinks this car is so Damn Bitchen ?

What makes it Better than the Hundreds of other Super Cool '53-'54 Chevys out there ?

What makes it even worth 40 Grand ?

Maybe its me but I don't see it ....

Fill me in on "WHY" this car gets so much Praise ...

Its just another '54 ... Ummm... Whata ya guys call them ??? A Rockstar ?

You guys saying it "CHEAP" How much are you paying for cars?

8. swsimon

swsimon

In my opinion that car was built to be driven. With the pedigree of who built it i would just clean it up and drive it like it was meant to be. Scott

9. I'd add some kind of bumpers....mounted real tight up to the body. I've always thought the car looked unfinished with no bumpers.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Probably because it's sectioned so well and has a really cool paint job and interior. I think it's cool that you can have such reputable builders come together on one car. But I also think that the '53-'54 Chevy is one of the harder cars to customize. Sure there's a ton of them unchopped with air bags or chopped to much but not many sectioned and definitely not many sectioned well. I could have done with out the air suspension on this car but it doesn't bother me either. I just like over all vibe this car gives off and I think that a set of Chrome steelies or some Lincoln Premier caps would make this thing look right at home in 1963!

11. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I gotta agree with you. I never thought the overall finished car looked that great. Sure it's cool that all those guys got together to do one build, but it was rushed and the way the show was edited, it looked like Gene did about 80% of the work.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't push it outa my garage to sit in the weather, but I sure as hell don't see 40G's there either.

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Jeffery,

See, The way you think is Right on .... Make it look like its from '63.

The chop is good as is the section ... I didnt even relize that car was.

Air Ride is always a Killer for me on Cars ...

However, I think the Whole Hype on that car is it was Jesse James ..
    Not the car itself.

Anyone here can have Gene or Bill work on there car & have it
    Personalized to YOUR likeing.

I could see Pedigree if it was built a long time ago or those Customizers were Gone.....

13. epinut

epinut

Raise the front wheel opening...

14. Kerry67

Kerry67

Anyone have a copy of the episode of Monster Garage that the 54 build is in they can burn for me ?

15. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I would leave it as is, with the build team it had I don't think I can make any improvements on the car. I do agree with JJ and a good cleaning of the engine bay would be the first thing I did.

16. True but I bet you couldn't have all those guys work on your car and get a Winfield fade paint job for anywhere near $40,000

17. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I have a lot respect for the REAL talent that participated in the making of that car, I am not fan of the finished car or the previous owner.

that 54 is an exercise in customizing cliques without a thought to the look of the completed car.

18. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

I would like to have sex in back seat at the finger bowl( that's the drivein for all the young guys)

19. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

why is that car so special, did someone ask that........duh...how about this one, that car has never been built before by that group, and it will NEVER happen again......NEVER........and definitely not for 40k.........can`t believe someone asked that.........

20. Pics of this 54 Chev? Missed the build..

21. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

The section and the chop look nice, but there are certain details that ruin it for me. The lowered front wheel well, the lack of trim around the front/rear glass, the lack of a front bumper, the shitty tube grille ... the car could've been a hundred times better in the right hands.

22. BadLuck

BadLuck

like the section and the paint.... thats about it...

Attached Files:

23. i aggree

IF i owned the thing id bolt some bumpers on it throw a grille in it shorten the frenched tailight "stalks" and raise it up about 8 inches maybe 10

i have total respect for the guys who "helped " the previous owner build it

but he was/ is a __________________________ never mind

24. What? In the right hands?

Yes the build should have not been rushed in a cable TV show, and with more time it would have been priceless. I still like it and would love to own it; no matter how you feel about it the car will become a legend, hopefully not for being on TV but who built it.

25. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

26. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the basic proportions and paint.. Hate the afterthought style grill.. Dont care for the back window..It needs a front bumper if not both.. And the front wheel arches need raised.. As does the stance, but it's on air so it's whatever..

Raising it 8 to 10 inches would look like shit. Chopped and channelled cars, specifically this one need to be pretty low or they get goofy really quickly.. But hey, just my opinion :)

27. If I were ever fortunate enough to own that car, I´d just slap a set of Caddy Sombreros on it. Don´t think it needs much else.

28. Trencher

Trencher

I would cut it off at the body line below the headlight and make that where the top of the bumper is...other than that, I think they took too much out of the height of the rear quarters, I don't like the door fit either...but it is a badass car!

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I believe this is the reason why as well. I do like the fact that all of these legends got together and built a '54 on Monster Garage. But like every car on that show, it wasn't subtle enough for me to like it. I think the skull being stuck into the dash isn't tasteful at all. There are a few minor details that some people didn't like that I agree with.

Then again, there are some well-executed modifications to the body that I can understand gives it it's "cool" factor. But I think the reason why that car is as well-known is because it had it's own tv episode, had the best crew on that show plus Jesse James, and is a very popular car to customize.

Much like Bret Michaels' Camaro. As OT as it is, this is a good example for this post. That car is horribly outdated unless you're into the mid-90's style (and if you are.. My condolences). Those late model wheels and a pretty lame SBC-Auto combination shouldn't have brought $200,000. I thought Goldberg's Hemi that went before was much more valuable and even though it's a muscle car, it had much more appeal to me. But Bret's Camaro was a charity car, so I do have to give the benefit of doubt.

Still.. I just wouldn't have bought the JJ Chevy. If it makes some other guy happy, so be it. Just because some of you guys or I don't like it doesn't mean it needs to be wiped off the face of earth. It'll always have a spot in the car world, regardless of how popular or unpopular it is.

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If one were to change anything on that car, you'd be a fool. I don't think it is any ground breaking master piece by itself, but it is still a nice car. Just go get another one to do as you like if that is what you want. $40K for it was a steal, even without the masters' touches. Anyone would be hard pressed to knock that car out as it sits for under that price, assuming you aren't just considering all your own time at $0/hr. of course. At that price, having the legends work on it is just icing on the cake. I think the JJ factor had both pros and cons at this point at BJ and probably helped make it notable to auction, but didn't affect the sale price too much +/-.