Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a little help GM Rear End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951poncho, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 1951poncho

1951poncho
    from denver

I have a 1964 El Camino frame with no rear diff. I have access to a 2001 Camaro rear end, complete. Is this going to be major modifications? Both are coil spring set ups. thoughts? thanks all.

2. The Inspector

The Inspector
    from New York

You should be able to pick up a 64-67 A body diff pretty cheap. F body rear is a torque link style and not bad in an f-body, but cheap and easy would be to find a bolt in.

3. 1951poncho

1951poncho
    from denver

free is even better though.

4. tomslik

tomslik

free sometimes ain't free
    you'll spend more "adapting" that rear in than what you'll spend doing it correctly.
    let the pissing match begin!!!

5. Free is good ... but it isn't always cheapest or best. You should be able to do a search here on the net as to which rears will bolt right in ... El Camino/Chevelle/ etc.

6. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

First I would measure the overall mounting distance from axle flange to flange. You may need to buy special rims to fit under the body. Then you have to fab new mounting brackets for the diff to your frame, of modify the frame to suit the Camaro diff mounting system. Nothing is impossible if you have the talent, time and equipment. Good luck with your project, that what this hobby is all about.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Find you an old Malibu,Olds Cutless rear if you want an easy fit.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

I would probably take the free rearend, put it up on craigslist and make some money on it and buy one that would fit more directly. Should not be too hard to find one that will go right in.

9. I'll chime in on the side of let it go, even if it is free. You've got a LOT of fabricating to adapt it, and I doubt the u-joints are the same so you'll have to build or modify a driveshaft. I'd let it go or get it and trade it for the right one, or sell it for the $$$$ for a new one.

10. chevyshack

chevyshack

Id get the free one and sell it or trade it for one that fits. Look for a Malibu, chevelle, or cutlass. There are others but the list would be to long. Plus you might want to stay under 1968. After that the rear end got about 2.5inches longer. It will still fit but if you run wide wheels you'll have to get a custom back spacing.