Register now to get rid of these ads!

Like to weld without a hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptopdoc, Jan 22, 2011.

1. customcory

customcory

Don't wear a white shirt while your welding because it reflects light back in the helmet too. It can give you a suntan . My WW2 veteran welding teacher would have kicked your ass for not having the helmet on.:D

2. Judging by your nick Spuds, and the fact that you're from Idaho...I guess you think a slice of potato will fix just about anything! hahaha :D

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Looks like 2011 is going to be the year for bullshit,its started already 1.post welding without helmet 2. Put fenders on all cars so you won"t scratch my truck 3.Can"t find a car seller to kiss my ass. Whats next?

4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Flash burn from welding causes cumulative permanent eye damage. Later in life if you live that long, your night vision will suffer and It will look like your looking thru a dirty windshield all the time.

Ago

5. Rickochet

Rickochet
    from Indiana

Another agreement on that comment!

If I have employees who have such little respect for safety, they don't belong in my shop! Why is it that some people have such a poor attitude about safety and taking care of your precious body parts?????? Ri-freakin-diculous!!!!!

6. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

No excuse....Even those el cheapo Harbor Freight instant darkening hoods are so cheap now, theres no reason not to use one.

7. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Sucks to be you LOL... And no I don't want to join the club. I think I'll just use my welding helmet. As Red Forman would say DUMB ASS.....lol

8. Exactly... This is just freakin' crazy. The flash burn is only the start of the problem. You need your eyes for later in life dude...

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

yep

10. I noticed the same trend. I say we PM the moderator to delete all griping and bitching posts.

11. beauishere

beauishere

Hah! I was thinking the same thing. Dumbassanator.

John Joseph, a racing legend in Hawaii from Waianae, used to weld without a helmet. His eyes were bright yellow where the white shoulda been. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Now a days I guess I can understand someone doing it once, but anything after that calls fo an IQ test.

12. custom53

custom53

i was grinding welds behind someone that was welding and it reflected off my glasses and i got flashed. man did that suck. i learned my lesson.

13. rodknocker

rodknocker

I recently found myself going back to the old school, non-autodarkenning,because I was feeling just the slightest burn each night.Now I have no issues.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Right there with ya Brad

15. Rocket man 88

Rocket man 88

do you guys stare at the sun on really nice days as well...I have been told it is great exposure training for welding with out a helmet;)

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Ever had a bad sunburn with blisters? thats exactly what you did to your eyeballs dipstick, and for those of you who "tack only" with your eyes shut will end up with fried eye lids. That sand in your eyes is exposed nerve endings. You only have one pair of eyes so protect them both welding and grinding you will be a much happier camper. Heli-arc is even worse as far as ultra violet rays because of the added heat. Always wear long sleeve 100% cotton shirts or welding coats, safety glasses with side shields,welders skull cap with a bill on it over your upward ear to keep the dingle berrys out when lying down and another good safety measure is a small pc of soft leather at the bottom of your hood to protect your throat area from sunburn...Just my 2 cents worth

17. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

I love all these "I should have" or "I knew better" stories. I like to copy them and insert them into a power point presentation for my classes when we are talking safety. As I tell the students. many times people have time to wish they had done something when in reality it would have only taken a second to do have gone ahead and protected themselves. Scars make good safety reminders.

18. Rocket man 88

Rocket man 88

good call sheep on the ear cover..laying on your side with nothing to cover your ear is just as dumb...had to have a BB sized piece removed from mine and can still feel the burn when I think about it. But I will never do that again

19. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I always use my helmet. I cringe when I see "professionals" welding on TV or in magazines without helmets. I guess they are too tough to wear protection of any kind. I would rather be a live wussy than a dead "tough" guy. I should have said a seeing wussy rather than a blind tough guy.

20. oj

oj

This is just another example of how mother nature weeds out the stupid. 15 years of experience? How many others have you demonstrated your technique to?

21. al-uminum

al-uminum

IF you get a "flash" ask your drugist or doctor for
    PONTICAIN. A drop or two every couple of hours
    will get you through the nite.

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

You only get one pair of eyes, don't do it !!!

23. RAY With

RAY With

I always play it safe and pictured is my new very cheap Harbor freight hood

Attached Files:

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

You know them little after sparks that go flying right after a mig tack? Try one of them in the eye.

25. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Spring of 2010 I had to have a "welders cataract" (the doctors term) removed from my right eye. I will also probably need to have the same done to the left at some point. I am very thankful that a fix is available, otherwise I would be blind in one eye and going blind in the other.

Wear a helmet.

26. GREASER815

GREASER815

Been there...Done that...And I doubt I ever will again. It really sucks!

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am totally amazed that anyone would weld without a helmet. But when you're young, you think you're invincible. I guess it's like smoking and thinking you're going to be cancer free.

28. redoxwelding

redoxwelding
    from virginia

might as well grab a couple of dinner forks and shove them into your eyes ... the end result is the same...never met a blind welder that was any good

29. try one in the ear

30. Helmet..I don't need no damn helmet!
    Gloves..I don't need no damn gloves!
    Quality jack stands..cinder blocks are fine!
    Drinking while driving..a 6 pack aint nothin!
    Safety glasses..I don't need no damn safety glasses!
    Painting without a respirator..I don't need no damn respirator!

Hello, my name is BOZO..and I'm a Dipshit!