Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap is thru the roof now....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Dec 21, 2010.

1. hell i got $100 for 500lbs of aluminum.. like hell its up...

2. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

180 a ton, but its only going about 9-10 cents a lbs bouncing up a down.

50 cents a lbs for clean alluminum.

copper is bout 1.50 a lbs

3. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Steel scrap will always be hit or miss that's why I collect alot of it before I go to the yard. Brass,copper and alum will always fetch more so will car batteries and catalytic converters. Scraping is a nice lil side thing but it can be depressing if you do it for a living. I see a couple guys around my town with big old beat to shit trucks full of all kinds of metal after feverishly searching the tri county area neighborhoods for metal and prob have maybe 200$ total on their trucks usually.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Did you part it out? You can get a few grand out of a car like that if you take it apart and sell piece by piece. Just the dash, grille surround, and rear window should get you a grand. Nobody is going to want a rotty 4 door out in the woods but a lot of people will want the pieces of it.

If you just took it in whole that was really foolish.

5. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Yeah man this is the HAMB,fuckers on here drag rusted jagged shit out of a creekbed and make a Hot Rod out of it. Plus if you hated having it around a saws all is yer brochacho!

6. Truckeez

Truckeez

Dont scrap the 35-40 ford frames--ill pay $100 each

7. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Makes it hell on earth for guys like me who can't afford new crap from JD or AGCO and have to depend on what is called 'barn finds' to make a living with.

A highly frustrated Tom S. in Tn.

8. Most places that buy scrap Have Two prices - one for your weekend warrior and another for a dealer. Dealer prices are always 10-30% higher than what is posted. Scrapping is a hobby-business for me and I mostly do it for the barn and groove finds and tons of old parts and use or sell parts and projects. Scrapping can be quit profitable if you have the right equipment to load and haul.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

It also makes a difference if you sell certified scrap, in other words I know the actual material make up of the steel scrap I haul in, ie: A36 or 70-30, WCB, WC6, etc. etc.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

only assholes scrap collector cars.

11. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone...
    Scrap metal isn't as valuable out here in Eastern New Mexico. Took 2700 pounds of old engines, transmissions and some other stuff....today. No oils, lubes, or hoses & wiring on them...All clean. 62 miles to take it in...and got 9 cents a pound.. $243 for the 2700 lbs.. But am happy that it is out of my yard finally. Have another trailer load to run over yet before spring.:). Stay warm....snow and really cold hitting here tomorrow... duane